Author Topic: Temptation Lies Inside Trump Foundation’s ‘Empty Shell’  (Read 684 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Bloomberg by Noah Feldman 6/17/2018

What can the latest lawsuit tell us about the president’s businesses?

The lawsuit filed last week by the New York State attorney general’s office makes it clear that Donald Trump and his family treated the Donald J. Trump Foundation not as a legitimate charity, but as a pass-through vehicle that benefited Trump, his businesses and his presidential campaign.

The key phrase in the lawsuit is “empty shell,” which is lawyer-ese for a corporation that does nothing, has no purpose, and exists merely as a piece of paper and a bank account.

If the idea of the empty shell corporation is fresh in your mind, that might be because we learned in May that Michael Cohen, Trump’s former lawyer, also created and used a shell corporation, Essential Consultants LLC, to receive payments from companies seeking access to Trump.

Like the Trumps, Cohen treated his shell as a pass-through for all kinds of transactions. Those included the hush-money payments from Trump to adult film actress Stormy Daniels and the still-murky payments to a California company called Demeter Direct, controlled by a man named Mark Ko who says he has a connection to Korea Aerospace Industries Ltd.

The common denominator here is the use of a company as an alter ego for an individual — essentially an all-purpose vehicle for doing whatever you want behind a corporate veil. That’s sometimes legally permissible for a limited liability corporation. It’s definitely not legal for a nonprofit charity, which is why the New York lawsuit was filed.

The comparison between the Trump Foundation and Cohen’s pass-through tells us something significant about the mindset of Trump and the members of his family and his organization: They’re not very interested in the rules of corporate governance. They see corporations, whether for-profit or not, more like bank accounts — places to park and move money.

As long as the law is being followed, there’s nothing inherently wrong with this attitude. The problem is that using corporations as pass-throughs is, in practice, an invitation to break the law.

When it comes to for-profit corporations, the temptation is to evade paying taxes and obscure the flows of money from shady characters to other shady characters.

When it comes to nonprofits, the temptation is to ignore the public, charitable purpose of the corporation and turn it into a personal fiefdom that is nominally tax-exempt.

More: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-06-17/trump-foundation-suit-offers-glimpse-at-trump-s-temptations

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
The grass roots base will agree with that.

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline WingNot

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I just did a quick search on my music server.

It also showed Bon Jovi - Temptation,  Crowded House - Into Temptation, Peter Gabriel - The Last Temptation Of Christ, and Billy Joel Temptation.

Offline WingNot

I just did a quick search on my music server.

It also showed Bon Jovi - Temptation,  Crowded House - Into Temptation, Peter Gabriel - The Last Temptation Of Christ, and Billy Joel Temptation.

Google didn't show any of those.    All they showed was CHICKENFOOT - Last Temptation   It was so stupid I couldn't post it.

Offline Frank Cannon

It was so stupid I couldn't post it.

Same can be said for most of the threads here. You shoulda just done it.

Offline WingNot

Same can be said for most of the threads here. You should a just done it.

I have my limits.    Not many...but a few.