Author Topic: Gevo stock soars more than 300% after EPA decision on gasoline additive  (Read 1531 times)

Offline endicom

Market Watch
Ciara Linnane
June 18, 2018

EPA increases the volume of isobutanol that can be blended with gasoline for on-road use in cars to 16% from 12.5%

EPA increases the volume of isobutanol that can be blended with gasoline for on-road use in cars to 16% from 12.5%

More... https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gevo-stock-soars-more-than-300-after-epa-decision-on-gasoline-additive-2018-06-18

Isobutanol is said to have 98% of the energy density of gasoline and to not be corrosive or water absorbing as is ethanol. The production cost seems to be more than $3 a gallon.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Eat more corn.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline dfwgator

No likey.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I say we put lead back in the tank were it belongs to boost octane.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Ti thought it said Istanbul and was wondering what Turkey had to do with it.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
http://gulfracingfuels.com/isobutanol-and-going-ethanolfree/

Isobutanol and Going Ethanol Free

Why Gulf Uses Isobutanol:

Some our fuels use an additive called ISOBUTANOL, an advanced biofuel, to replace ethanol. Isobutanol is an EPA Approved oxygenate containing 30% higher BTU than ethanol, while producing power beyond typical ethanol-based gasoline.

ISOBUTANOL is not hygroscopic which means it will not absorb nor accumulate water, nor will the fuels damage or affect gas tanks, gaskets, carburetors or injectors. Our fuels, using ISOBUIANOL, meet all engine makers requirements which means these fuels will not void engine warranties.  The National Marine Manufacturers Association has endorsed gasoline containing ISOBUTANOL as being better that using fuels containing ethanol.

Gulf fuels containing ISOBUTANOL are excellent for everyday engines and high performance engines operating is high humidity environments or any environment around water. The fuels can also be used in engines that are used only occasionally as the fuel when static will not absorb water.  Racing applications include Hydroplane drag boats, offshore racing boats, high altitude racing and snowmobiles.

Offline driftdiver

So were going to put this in gas.  It's less energy dense Nd more expensive.

What a bargain

Offline dfwgator

Crony Capitalism at its' finest.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
http://gulfracingfuels.com/isobutanol-and-going-ethanolfree/

Isobutanol and Going Ethanol Free

Why Gulf Uses Isobutanol:

Some our fuels use an additive called ISOBUTANOL, an advanced biofuel, to replace ethanol. Isobutanol is an EPA Approved oxygenate containing 30% higher BTU than ethanol, while producing power beyond typical ethanol-based gasoline.

ISOBUTANOL is not hygroscopic which means it will not absorb nor accumulate water, nor will the fuels damage or affect gas tanks, gaskets, carburetors or injectors. Our fuels, using ISOBUIANOL, meet all engine makers requirements which means these fuels will not void engine warranties.  The National Marine Manufacturers Association has endorsed gasoline containing ISOBUTANOL as being better that using fuels containing ethanol.

Gulf fuels containing ISOBUTANOL are excellent for everyday engines and high performance engines operating is high humidity environments or any environment around water. The fuels can also be used in engines that are used only occasionally as the fuel when static will not absorb water.  Racing applications include Hydroplane drag boats, offshore racing boats, high altitude racing and snowmobiles.

And, in addition.  Does not use foodstuffs in its manufacture at all nor is its manufacture subsidized in anyway as far as I know.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
So where was this announcement posted?

http://www.biofuelsdigest.com/bdigest/2018/04/04/epa-seeks-public-comment-regarding-isobutanol-blending/

EPA seeks public comment regarding isobutanol blending
April 4, 2018 | Meghan Sapp

In Washington, the Environmental Protection Agency is seeking public comment on any aspect of the use of isobutanol in gasoline. Butamax Advanced Biofuels, has submitted an application pursuant to the regulations titled “Registration of Fuels and Fuel Additives” for the registration of isobutanol as a gasoline additive at up to 16 volume percent. Butamax has submitted information that would likely satisfy the applicable registration requirements. The Clean Air Act requires the EPA to register a fuel or fuel additive once all the applicable registration requirements have been met by the manufacturer. Due to the potential for the widespread introduction of isobutanol into commerce, the EPA is taking steps to make the public aware of the likelihood of this registration. The agency is seeking public comment regarding any issues it should take into consideration for this registration and any supplemental actions it should consider under the Clean Air Act to further protect public health and welfare. Comments must be received on or before April 30, 2018.

Offline endicom

It's less energy dense Nd more expensive.

Unlike ethanol, it's nearly the same energy as gasoline. That seems to be a competitive industry so the price could come down. As is, the cornholers are going to force us to use ethanol or something like this.

That is where we are at.

Offline darroll

I hope it works better than propane.
You should get out of the way of a Mack Truck, you floor it. Then your car just jumps and snorts and gags and spits with no power.

Offline thackney

You should get out of the way of a Mack Truck, you floor it. Then your car just jumps and snorts and gags and spits with no power.

You need an engine designed for propane.  Not a engine designed for gasoline then fed with a much lower BTU fuel.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline endicom

You need an engine designed for propane.  Not a engine designed for gasoline then fed with a much lower BTU fuel.

That was my thought.

Have you any thoughts on isobutanol? Seems to me a decent fuel if they can get the price down.

@thackney

Offline thackney

That was my thought.

Have you any thoughts on isobutanol? Seems to me a decent fuel if they can get the price down.

@thackney

Price is key.  I believe it takes more processing (energy) to produce than ethanol.  Which is why it isn't already in use.  It is toxic as well.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline driftdiver

So what purpose does it have?  I mean other then the PC claim of a biofuel and increasing the cost of putting gas in our cars.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

My 53 Willys with its 350 small block has no problem at all running on propane.