Author Topic: Ideological Purity Runs Rampant At The Texas GOP Convention  (Read 1389 times)

Offline corbe

Ideological Purity Runs Rampant At The Texas GOP Convention

In America’s reddest state, moderation and prudence are increasingly seen as a betrayal of conservatism and a reason to purge the GOP.

By John Daniel Davidson   
June 18, 2018

SAN ANTONIO — “God doesn’t change, he’s the same yesterday today, and forever,” said a young man in a white cowboy hat and a long-sleeve Texas state flag shirt. His voice rose as he spoke. “If you look up at the sky and see that God has moved, he hasn’t moved—you have. God doesn’t move or change, and we shouldn’t either!”

The man was not a preacher and this was not a church service. He was a delegate and this was a meeting of the Permanent Platform Committee at the Texas Republican Party’s convention, which concluded its biannual meeting this weekend in San Antonio—a gathering of nearly 10,000 delegates, lawmakers, party activists, and merchants hawking MAGA hats and Trump T-shirts.

The young man ended his biblically inspired testimony by saying, “I strongly urge this committee to retain the current language in the plank about homosexuality.”

He was referring to the 2016 party platform, which included a plank condemning homosexuality as “a chosen behavior” that is contrary to “fundamental unchanging truths.” But at this year’s convention, the language was softened. Instead of passing judgement on homosexuality as such, the plank calls on the State Legislature “to pass religious liberty protections” for those who disagree with gay marriage.

The idea was to send the message that the Texas GOP is a big tent and that protecting religious liberty is more important to Republicans than excluding gay Texans from the party. The debate over the plank’s language was nevertheless protracted and at times fierce. Gay marriage, like abortion and the Second Amendment, are no-compromise issues for many Texas Republicans, especially the hard-core grassroots activists who attend the state convention, like the young man in the white cowboy hat.

What Does Conservatism Mean to Its Activists?

<..snip..>

http://thefederalist.com/2018/06/18/ideological-purity-runs-rampant-texas-gop-convention/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Ideological Purity Runs Rampant At The Texas GOP Convention
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 05:39:08 pm »
Sort of a snarky article.  Yes, Texans are involved and interested in the politics of their state.  Not sure how that transfers to "tribalism".

In a battle over the GOP chair, challenger Cindy Asche attacked incumbent Chairman James Dickey, who easily won reelection, for not being supportive enough of President Trump. In a convention full of red MAGA hats, where any mention of Trump brought cheers from the crowd, Asche’s strategy was to impugn Dickey’s conservative credentials by out-Trumping him.

Yes, still a lot of anger over the Trump campaign tactics.

Earlier in the week, Sen. John Cornyn escaped a formal censure by the party for backing federal spending bills. In January, the State Republican Executive Committee formally censured outgoing Texas House Speaker Joe Straus, a moderate Republican whom Texas conservatives have long derided as a RINO. At the convention, the committee censured outgoing State Rep. Byron Cook, a Straus ally....

A good argument can be made that they all deserve censure.

Of course, we’re a long way from guillotines or a modern-day Reign of Terror in Texas. But the tenor of the Texas GOP convention bears an unsettling resemblance to the National Convention of Robespierre and the authors of the French Revolution, who failed to resist the ever-increasing demands of ideological purity they imposed on one another in turn.

What happens at the Texas Republican convention matters to the rest of the country because right now Texas is the nation’s best hope for reviving the spirit of the American Revolution—as long as it can avoid foundering on the spirit of the French one....

Silliness.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 05:41:28 pm »
Just another liberal hyperventilating!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 05:43:28 pm »
If you like your tribe you can keep your tribe. 

It all boils down to one fact and one fact only...We are at this point today because it is Obama's fault.   Most divisive President evar. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline jpsb

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 05:47:08 pm »

Yes, still a lot of anger over the Trump campaign tactics.

Do tell, what Trump tactics are you referring to? Fighting back against Cruz's lies?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 05:54:51 pm »
Do tell, what Trump tactics are you referring to? Fighting back against Cruz's lies?

Don't be a twit. Your own unique version of events has been corrected by evidence many, many times.  Take it somewhere else.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 06:04:21 pm »
If you like your tribe you can keep your tribe. 

It all boils down to one fact and one fact only...We are at this point today because it is Obama's fault.   Most divisive President evar.

No... As always with liberalism, Obama succeeded because he had no opposition.
Obama is what he is. The problem is that people let him.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 06:28:13 pm »
No... As always with liberalism, Obama succeeded because he had no opposition.
Obama is what he is. The problem is that people let him.

That is true.  But they took their cues from the "Chosen One" 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 06:31:50 pm »
Odd, I thought 'ideological purity' was what usually was needed when creating a party platform. It is the political version of a mathematical equation.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 07:54:49 pm »
Odd, I thought 'ideological purity' was what usually was needed when creating a party platform. It is the political version of a mathematical equation.

Right.
'These are the things we kinda care about sometimes, sorta'
... That's not a banner I can stand under.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 08:09:03 pm »
Don't be a twit. Your own unique version of events has been corrected by evidence many, many times.  Take it somewhere else.

:headbang:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 08:17:30 pm »

:cool:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 09:07:13 pm »

😃👍
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:08:07 pm by roamer_1 »