Author Topic: Mesmerizing river of lava gushes rapidly from Kilauea toward the ocean as volcano leaves more than 4  (Read 686 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Mesmerizing river of lava gushes rapidly from Kilauea toward the ocean as volcano leaves more than 467 homes destroyed
Daily Mail/UK, Jun 17, 2018

Incredible footage has emerged showing the river of lava that continues to gush from KÄ«lauea on Hawaii's Big Island.

The fast moving lava was spotted pouring out of Fissure 8 at around 5pm on Friday, as the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency warned that the fissure remains highly active.

'Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports that the eruption activity continues at Fissure 8 in the lower East Rift Zone,' the agency said in a flash bulletin on Sunday morning.

'Lava is entering the ocean at Kapoho Bay and producing a large laze plume. Heavy vog is blanketing the interior and southern parts of the island, impacting Hilo and wrapping around to Kona through the weekend.'

'Laze' is a portmanteau of 'lava' and 'haze', occurring when lava hits the ocean and sends up a dangerous spray of hydrochloric acid and volcanic glass particles.

'Vog' is short for volcano smog, referring to the sulfur dioxide and other dangerous gases that spew from underground.

Officials advised that an ash eruption at KÄ«lauea's summit on Sunday morning at about 6.26am had spewed ash into the air and advised residents to remain indoors.

Currently Fissure 8 is the most active area, while Fissure 16 is 'oozing' the Civil Defense Agency said.

More w/video:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5854209/Mesmerizing-river-lava-gushes-rapidly-K-lauea.html

The video at the link is pretty amazing.

Offline goatprairie

I showed it to my wife, and she thought the lava flow had been speeded up. Then we looked at the man and dog walking normally.
Just try to get out of the way of that thing. Truly terrifying.

Offline skeeter

I was always under the impression Hawaiian type lava didn’t flow so swiftly. Wow was I wrong.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
This looks like more than just "a fissure" from an existing volcano.

It looks like a new "infant" volcano itself: