Author Topic: Laura Bush: Separating children from their parents at the border ‘breaks my heart’  (Read 19788 times)

Offline skeeter

Come on man. Pubs have no heart.

Anyone who'd push granny off a cliff wouldn't have any problem ripping children from their mother's breast.

Offline dfwgator

Hey Laura, did your heart break about this?

F'ing hypocrite!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Mrs. Bush Rails Against 'Cruel' Border Separation Policy
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2018, 05:05:01 pm »

Mrs. Bush Rails Against 'Cruel' Border Separation Policy
Cortney O'Brien
6/18/2018 10:00:00 AM - Cortney O'Brien

The Trump administration's policy of separating illegal immigrant families at the U.S.-Mexico border doesn't sit well with some people, including former First Lady Laura Bush. In a new op-ed for The Washington Post, Mrs. Bush explained why the White House's zero tolerance policy is "cruel," "immoral," and "breaks her heart."

Mrs. Bush compared today's policy of separating families to our treatment of Japanese Americans during World War Two.

Our government should not be in the business of warehousing children in converted box stores or making plans to place them in tent cities in the desert outside of El Paso. These images are eerily reminiscent of the Japanese American internment camps of World War II, now considered to have been one of the most shameful episodes in U.S. history. We also know that this treatment inflicts trauma; interned Japanese have been two times as likely to suffer cardiovascular disease or die prematurely than those who were not interned. (Washington Post)

more
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2018/06/18/mrs-bush-rails-against-cruel-border-separation-policy-n2491798/print
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

You're right, you got us.  Children should be sent along with whoever tries to bring them in.  Of course, we don't know if they are coming in with parents or trafficers, but who cares?  It's all about how WE feel.
It's not a matter of getting you.  It's an observation few on this board recognize.  Probably don't want to recognize...easier to pretend the other side is rooting for traffickers. 

Offline thackney

Re: Mrs. Bush Rails Against 'Cruel' Border Separation Policy
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2018, 05:11:58 pm »
https://bipartisanpolicy.org/blog/why-are-families-being-separated-at-the-border-an-explainer/

...Is this a new immigration enforcement policy?

Not completely. The George W. Bush administration implemented Operation Streamline in 2005, which also referred many people who violated these provisions for prosecution in federal courts, although the majority of prosecutions were for the felony charge of illegal re-entry and not for first-time offenders. The Obama administration continued and expanded the policy through 2014, but later shifted its enforcement priories towards targeting specific criminal populations.

The Obama administration also used family separation when they prosecuted immigration offenses as a deterrent against illegal border crossings after 2014 as more children and families fled violence in Central American countries. However, immigration advocates allege that the new zero-tolerance policy against immigration violations will cause more families to be separated than before, with some claiming to have witnessed an increase in family separations since June 2017....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Silver Pines

Mrs. Bush is correct.  These children must be without delay, reunited with their parents in their parent's home country.

@Sanguine

Exactly.

It would be nice if Laura's concern for the children extended to those in the womb.

Online libertybele

This issue resonates with Christians who have been supplanted by the alt-right in the GOP.  Every picture of a crying child on the border will cost GOP votes, because some Republicans still have human emotions.

Let's see here ... let the bleeding hearts attend a prayer vigil where innocent AMERICAN LEGAL CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, have been either, raped, murdered, kidnapped, or maimed by an illegal alien and let's see how they feel afterwards.  Let's see their human emotions then.  We're talking toddlers, infants, children, mothers, fathers, brother, sisters from all walks of life; students, nurses, police officers, teachers, homemakers, etc.!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It's not a matter of getting you.  It's an observation few on this board recognize.  Probably don't want to recognize...easier to pretend the other side is rooting for traffickers.

"Getting me"?  Not sure what that means.

And, no, I don't think "the other side" is rooting for traffickers.  That's a silly accusation.  I think they are woefully ignorant though.

Let's see here ... let the bleeding hearts attend a prayer vigil where innocent AMERICAN LEGAL CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, have been either, raped, murdered, kidnapped, or maimed by an illegal alien and let's see how they feel afterwards.  Let's see their human emotions then.  We're talking toddlers, infants, children, mothers, fathers, brother, sisters from all walks of life; students, nurses, police officers, teachers, homemakers, etc.!

You seem to believe every illegal is evil.  I do not.  I also don't think every border patriot is complicit in hate crimes against illegals.

Offline dfwgator

You seem to believe every illegal is evil.  I do not.  I also don't think every border patriot is complicit in hate crimes against illegals.

Enough of them are, to justify having a policy that makes it much more difficult to enter, and to dissuade most from even trying.

"Getting me"?  Not sure what that means.
I quoted you "You're right, you got us."
And, no, I don't think "the other side" is rooting for traffickers.  That's a silly accusation.  I think they are woefully ignorant though.
Again I quoted your silly accusation "Children should be sent along with whoever tries to bring them in.  Of course, we don't know if they are coming in with parents or trafficers, but who cares?"

I know I'm not writing ideas you want to hear or consider, but really?

Enough of them are, to justify having a policy that makes it much more difficult to enter, and to dissuade most from even trying.
Trump thinks kidnapping children is a great deterrent.  We will see.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I quoted you "You're right, you got us."Again I quoted your silly accusation "Children should be sent along with whoever tries to bring them in.  Of course, we don't know if they are coming in with parents or trafficers, but who cares?"

I know I'm not writing ideas you want to hear or consider, but really?

LOL.  Whatever. 

Offline skeeter

Comments like this do not do your credibility favors. In case you care.

Online libertybele

Please don't tell me what I believe.  EVERY and yes, I mean EVERY immigrant entering into this country ILLEGALLY IS indeed ILLEGAL.  I didn't say that they were all evil.  They are ILLEGAL.  They should be forbidden from entering this country period; children included.  That's why a border wall is needed. 

Those that are already here, if caught, should be deported.  NO perks.  NO benefits. NO jobs.  NO medical.  Deportation period.  I don't care how educated or uneducated they are; they are still illegal.  Deport them.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@Once-Ler
Is it a hate crime when Mexico arrests people who cross their southern border illegally?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

What credibility?

He's had none for quite some time now IMHO.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Please don't tell me what I believe.  EVERY and yes, I mean EVERY immigrant entering into this country ILLEGALLY IS indeed ILLEGAL.  I didn't say that they were all evil.  They are ILLEGAL.  They should be forbidden from entering this country period; children included.  That's why a border wall is needed. 

Those that are already here, if caught, should be deported.  NO perks.  NO benefits. NO jobs.  NO medical.  Deportation period.  I don't care how educated or uneducated they are; they are still illegal.  Deport them.

Exactly!   Well said!   888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
It's just a ruse to build up the Democratic party, the Republicans know this. Now,they put out this heartfelt argument, Laura Bush, Pelosi, whomever....

As someone said, where is this compassion about the right to life?

It's a disingenuous argument and it is made to appeal to the emotions of the masses. They aren't fooled so much this time.

A nation without borders is not a nation I think Reagan said, enough people have come into the nation through our generosity, let alone poor court decisions as that one allowing anchor babies.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
What credibility?

He's had none for quite some time now IMHO.

I hate to pile on.  Well actually I do, but in this case I concur. Once left us some time ago.  I wish him well in his new skin.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Oh brother.

What we are experiencing is more of an invasion.

Crossing the border illegally is a misdemeanor.  We don't typically rip families apart for misdemeanors.

It's sweet of you to be concerned about my credibility @skeeter .

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Crossing the border illegally is a misdemeanor.  We don't typically rip families apart for misdemeanors.

In nearly every other country on earth, crossing a border illegally will earn you a long stint in jail and possibly charged with spying or some other subversive charge.

When to comes to people illegally entering the country - then YES, whatever deterrent we employ, I support.  INCLUDING separating children from parent until they can be reunited in their nation of origin after deportation.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
      Hey @Right_in_Virginia the other Mrs. Trump, Melainia, not you, agrees with Laura Bush.

@corbe   At least spell her name right.  Melania did not agree with Laura.  Her statement was for compassion but not open borders.  You either have border control or you don't.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.