Author Topic: Laura Bush: Separating children from their parents at the border ‘breaks my heart’  (Read 19692 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Laura Bush: Separating children from their parents at the border ‘breaks my heart’
Washington Post, Jun 17, 2018

On Sunday, a day we as a nation set aside to honor fathers and the bonds of family, I was among the millions of Americans who watched images of children who have been torn from their parents. In the six weeks between April 19 and May 31, the Department of Homeland Security has sent nearly 2,000 children to mass detention centers or foster care. More than 100 of these children are younger than 4 years old. The reason for these separations is a zero-tolerance policy for their parents, who are accused of illegally crossing our borders.

I live in a border state. I appreciate the need to enforce and protect our international boundaries, but this zero-tolerance policy is cruel. It is immoral. And it breaks my heart.

Our government should not be in the business of warehousing children in converted box stores or making plans to place them in tent cities in the desert outside of El Paso. These images are eerily reminiscent of the Japanese American internment camps of World War II, now considered to have been one of the most shameful episodes in U.S. history. We also know that this treatment inflicts trauma; interned Japanese have been two times as likely to suffer cardiovascular disease or die prematurely than those who were not interned.

Read more:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/laura-bush-separating-children-from-their-parents-at-the-border-breaks-my-heart/2018/06/17/f2df517a-7287-11e8-9780-b1dd6a09b549_story.html?utm_term=.774c00d76304

Words fail me. 

Take a couple of dozen kids to your effing ranch, Laura.  Soros will pay you for it.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 02:10:51 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline endicom

Where have you been, Laura? Why now?

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Hasn't this been policy since cigar man?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Hasn't this been policy since cigar man?

Not policy, it's been the law
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline dfwgator

Yeah, well running a stop sign and killing somebody breaks mine.  She separated Mike Douglas from his parents.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 02:35:44 am by dfwgator »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline corbe

Hey @Right_in_Virginia the other Mrs. Trump, Melainia, not you, agrees with Laura Bush.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Mrs. Bush is correct.  These children must be without delay, reunited with their parents in their parent's home country.

Offline dfwgator

Mrs. Bush is correct.  These children must be without delay, reunited with their parents in their parent's home country.

Yep, they did it for Elian.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

anybody with the last name Bush is hurting this country.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline dfwgator

Joe Goebbels had nothing on these guys in the propaganda department.

Hey @Right_in_Virginia the other Mrs. Trump, Melainia, not you,

Why do you waste so much of your time trying to be funny?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Absolutely without delay.  I think everyone could approve of them being reunited in their own county.  Maybe the Bush family can shoulder the burden of taking care of all these children instead of the taxpayer. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline corbe

Why do you waste so much of your time trying to be funny?

Good Question @Right_in_Virginia I'll sleep on that and give you an answer tomorrow, in the meantime can you come up with anything Mrs. Trump that bothers you about your Husband?  I didn't think so.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Chosen Daughter

I have a great idea.  Personal responsibility.  It isn't Trump or Sessions who brought these children here.  And we must not assume that all illegal immigrants are escaping something horrible in their country.  If they are then there is asylum.  Where we are required to establish a need for it.

Report: 90 Percent Of Guatemalans Come To US For Economic Reasons, Not To ‘Escape Violence’

5:34 PM 08/07/2017

A survey of the Guatemalan immigrant community refutes a commonly held belief that crime and gang violence are the primary drivers of migration from the Central American country to the U.S.

The International Organization for Migration (IOM), which is the U.N.’s leading agency on immigration issues, conducted a study of Guatemalan immigrants in the U.S. to learn more about why they decided to leave their home country.

The group found that 91 percent of Guatemalan immigrants came to the U.S. for economic reasons. By contrast, less than one percent fled Guatemala due to safety concerns including extortion, gang problems and the overall level of violent crime.

The IOM survey, conducted in conjunction with the Guatemalan government, undermines the narrative that Guatemalan migrants have no choice but to come to the U.S. because of rampant violence at home —  a conclusion many pro-immigration groups advance. While Guatemala — along with neighboring Honduras and El Salvador — does have a particularly high murder rate compared to most other Latin American countries, economic opportunity appears to be the primary motivating factor in immigration to the U.S.

The results of the IOM survey, which was published in Spanish, were summarized Monday in an English translation by Kausha Luna, a research associate at the Center For Immigration Studies (CIS). As Luna notes, the vast majority of Guatemalan immigrants came to improve their economic situation: 57 percent to find better employment, 33 percent to boost their income, 1.2 percent to buy a home, and 0.1 percent to start a business. Another 3.7 percent came for family reunification purposes....

http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/07/report-90-percent-of-guatemalans-come-to-us-for-economic-reasons-not-to-escape-violence/

In other simpler terms they come for our jobs and a home in America.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 03:09:51 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline dfwgator

How many children were separated from their parents because of your husband's stupid wars, Laura?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

My nominee for post of the month!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chosen Daughter

How many children were separated from their parents because of your husband's stupid wars, Laura?

TRUTH!!!!!

Offline GtHawk

Not policy, it's been the law
Well it's hard to tell when dealing with democrats. They consider both the Constitution and laws to be fluid.

Offline GtHawk

Now wait a minute, there is that baked bean guy.

These images are eerily reminiscent of the Japanese American internment camps of World War II, now considered to have been one of the most shameful episodes in U.S. history. We also know that this treatment inflicts trauma; interned Japanese have been two times as likely to suffer cardiovascular disease or die prematurely than those who were not interned.

This is the nugget that pisses me off the most.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Sanguine  :amen:
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@IsailedawayfromFR

That's what they do. It's who they are.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Absolutely without delay.  I think everyone could approve of them being reunited in their own county.  Maybe the Bush family can shoulder the burden of taking care of all these children instead of the taxpayer.

@Chosen Daughter

Exactly! Somebody needs to tell that mouthy bitch to put her money where her mouth is.