Author Topic: Mike Lee: Why would Lindsey Graham block a vote to protect Americans’ due process rights?  (Read 948 times)

Offline libertybele

Mike Lee: Why would Lindsey Graham block a vote to protect Americans’ due process rights?

On Thursday, Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, called out fellow Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., for blocking an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) that would protect Americans from detention without trial or charge.

Lee’s Due Process Guarantee Act was authored with Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., and has bipartisan support. His law would amend a provision that was added to the NDAA in 2012 that enabled the indefinite detention of U.S. citizens on American soil.

“It simply says that if you are a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident, you may not be indefinitely detained on U.S. soil without trial, without charge, without access to a jury or to counsel,” Lee explained on the floor of the United States Senate Wednesday. A super-majority of senators voted against a motion to table Lee’s amendment, agreeing that the amendment should receive a floor vote.......

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/mike-lee-calls-out-lindsey-graham-for-blocking-vote-to-protect-americans-from-indefinite-detention/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline endicom

If the amendment is as Lee says then I don't know why Graham would oppose it.

For that matter, I don't know how it could have been removed from the original bill.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
If the amendment is as Lee says then I don't know why Graham would oppose it.

For that matter, I don't know how it could have been removed from the original bill.

Probably because there is an existing law on the books.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Probably because there is an existing law on the books.

So, why was he for it a few years ago?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'm confused.  Why would such an amendment even be necessary?  The practice of holding Americans indefinitely without charge is already against the Bill of Rights.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
So, why was he for it a few years ago?

Because he is a dumbass?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I'm confused.  Why would such an amendment even be necessary?  The practice of holding Americans indefinitely without charge is already against the Bill of Rights.

I understand Lee's argument (and, until recently, Graham's) is that this is happening and it is so important that a law must be passed to reestablish what is in the Constitution and is being ignored or has been distorted by court rulings.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I understand Lee's argument (and, until recently, Graham's) is that this is happening and it is so important that a law must be passed to reestablish what is in the Constitution and is being ignored or has been distorted by court rulings.

You make a good point.  I wonder if a Federal Case is ever made, if such a Statue passes, and how many SCOTUS justices would find against a law that reaffirms the Bill of Rights?  Which ones?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: