Author Topic: Rep. Nunes: If DOJ Does Not Turn Over Documents by Monday – They Will Have ‘Hell to Pay’ by Wednesda  (Read 2579 times)

Offline Fantasywriter

TBR posting tip:  If you remove the "s" between the "http" and the "://" the video embeds in your post.  Also, you can't use the "tinylink."  You have to use the original full link.

Thanks. I'll give it a try

Offline DB

I do believe Trump could simply order the DOJ to comply with congress' requests... He heads the executive branch and all...

Why doesn't he?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I do believe Trump could simply order the DOJ to comply with congress' requests... He heads the executive branch and all...

Why doesn't he?

Because then they would claim he was obstructing justice.  Legally might also count as interference and taint the prosecution.

The FBI claims the information is classified.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Fantasywriter

Because then they would claim he was obstructing justice.  Legally might also count as interference and taint the prosecution.

Thanks for finally clarifying that.  I've seen the question asked so often, but yours is the first answer I've seen that makes sense.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

That's an interesting theory. In effect, it gives the DoJ and the FBI veto power over the head of their own branch. :pondering:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DB

Thanks for finally clarifying that.  I've seen the question asked so often, but yours is the first answer I've seen that makes sense.

Not really. Congress has the constitutional authority to dig into justice department corruption - which has been clearly demonstrated by its actions. The justice department isn't its own branch of government. Its head, the POTUS, can direct it to cooperate with its oversight. To claim obstruction of justice sets the DOJ as the law unto itself where no one can hold it accountable.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

The president can declassify any or all of it with the stroke of a pen.

I'm firmly convinced that and ordering it's immediate release is the only way we will ever get to the bottom of this mess.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:37:35 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fantasywriter

Not really. Congress has the constitutional authority to dig into justice department corruption - which has been clearly demonstrated by its actions. The justice department isn't its own branch of government. Its head, the POTUS, can direct it to cooperate with its oversight. To claim obstruction of justice sets the DOJ as the law unto itself where no one can hold it accountable.

Please take this as just my personal opinion, but I believe this is where we are. Trump has the unlimited Mueller investigation hanging over him, ready, willing and able to turn every move Trump makes into a case for obstruction.  With the press and most of the DC old guard is solidly behind him, Mueller doesn't have to worry about the weakness of the case; he will receive full throated support regardless.

That's just my POV. YMMV.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

Please take this as just my personal opinion, but I believe this is where we are. Trump has the unlimited Mueller investigation hanging over him, ready, willing and able to turn every move Trump makes into a case for obstruction.  With the press and most of the DC old guard is solidly behind him, Mueller doesn't have to worry about the weakness of the case; he will receive full throated support regardless.

That's just my POV. YMMV.

It's hardly a black and white answer.  Many considerations but the one thing that's certain is his enemies would turn it into a major political issue.

Sessions could also order it released and to me it would be more appropriate than Trump taking executive action.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Fantasywriter

It's hardly a black and white answer.  Many considerations but the one thing that's certain is his enemies would turn it into a major political issue.

Sessions could also order it released and to me it would be more appropriate than Trump taking executive action.

Agree.

As to Sessions,  he could do a lot of things but I'm not holding my breath. As Trump has said, he wishes he'd picked a different AG.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
The justice department isn't its own branch of government. Its head, the POTUS, can direct it to cooperate with its oversight. To claim obstruction of justice sets the DOJ as the law unto itself where no one can hold it accountable.

That is the defacto case-in-point of law since Clinton by the willing See-Hear-Speak-No-Evil from Congress.

The DOJ IS a law unto itself when it comes to acting as a Praetorian for Democrat corruption and Attack Dog against anyone the Oligarchy directs it's fangs.

Do you not recall the Tweet Holder sent out to all the DOJ employees?

To the career men and women at DOJ/FBI: you know what the job entails and how to do it. Be strong and unafraid. Duty. Honor. Country.

They are a law unto themselves at the direction of the Leftists in the Oligarchy.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline DB

You have to play to win. That means going all in and damn the torpedoes. Anything less will fail. There is no second place.

Offline DB

That is the defacto case-in-point of law since Clinton by the willing See-Hear-Speak-No-Evil from Congress.

The DOJ IS a law unto itself when it comes to acting as a Praetorian for Democrat corruption and Attack Dog against anyone the Oligarchy directs it's fangs.

Do you not recall the Tweet Holder sent out to all the DOJ employees?

To the career men and women at DOJ/FBI: you know what the job entails and how to do it. Be strong and unafraid. Duty. Honor. Country.

They are a law unto themselves at the direction of the Leftists in the Oligarchy.

Don't disagree. If anything is going to be done about it, Trump is going to have to go head on and force and open investigation of all the massive corruption that's been going on within the DOJ/FBI. You can't play nice with them. He's the boss and he needs to act like it. There is at least some possibility the corruption will see the light of day if he does. Otherwise it will be business as usual and just more kabuki theater to keep the partisans busy, something the GOP has been very good at.