Author Topic: Appeals Court Reinstates California's Assisted Suicide Law  (Read 1045 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Appeals Court Reinstates California's Assisted Suicide Law
« on: June 16, 2018, 02:03:31 pm »
A state appeals court has reinstated — at least for now — California's law allowing terminally ill people to end their lives.

The Fourth District Court of Appeals in Riverside issued an immediate stay Friday putting the End of Life Option back into effect. The court also gave opponents of its decision until July 2 to file objections.

The law allows adults to obtain a prescription for life-ending drugs if a doctor has determined they have six months or less to live.

Riverside County Superior Court Judge Daniel Ottolia declared the law unconstitutional last month, stating that it had been adopted illegally because lawmakers passed it during a special Legislative session called to address other matters.

Ottolia didn't address the issue of whether it's proper for people to end their lives.

Right-to-die advocates hailed Friday's action.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/california-assisted-suicide-court-ruling/2018/06/15/id/866514/
Are the death squads now wearing black robes?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Suppressed

Re: Appeals Court Reinstates California's Assisted Suicide Law
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 02:08:35 pm »
Good to see there are some who still believe in personal freedom over statist control.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 02:09:42 pm »
People have always had the right to end their lives. They do it all the time.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 02:16:51 pm »
Good to see there are some who still believe in personal freedom over statist control.

To heck with all that 'first do no harm' crap.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 02:26:53 pm »
Just because people do it does not make it a 'right'.  Lots of examples to draw upon.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 02:27:18 pm »
Yes, but there more than a few Kevorkian-types who seem to be a little more than eager to help people end their lives.
Some people get severely depressed from a serious illness. They might think at the time that suicide is a good option for relieving their pain and distress.
 I don't want anybody to suffer needlessly, but I also don't want to help someone kill themselves because they're depressed at the time.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 03:07:15 pm »

Not everyone has the ability.  Many people wait too long.

Plus, do we really want to add to the trauma of survivors having to deal with cleaning brains splattered on the walls?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 03:14:00 pm »
Yes, but there more than a few Kevorkian-types who seem to be a little more than eager to help people end their lives.
Some people get severely depressed from a serious illness. They might think at the time that suicide is a good option for relieving their pain and distress.
 I don't want anybody to suffer needlessly, but I also don't want to help someone kill themselves because they're depressed at the time.

@goatprairie

That has been the contention ever since legalization in places.  We were told there would be a huge wave of suicides in Oregon...and it never happened.  Dishonest, misleading people will point to the number of prescriptions issued for assisted suicide (which aren't that many -- in more than 20 years, less than 2000), rather than the number actually used (even fewer).  Just having the option is enough for some people.

Gun grabbers, anti-right-to-die folks, etc., all scream about "what could happen!" if we don't take away peoples' rights, rather than looking at real data.

There are many safeguards in place to stop frivolous suicides, if that's the concern.
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 03:27:00 pm »
Just because people do it does not make it a 'right'.  Lots of examples to draw upon.

Rights and the freedom to not exercise them go hand in hand.

Our right to free speech includes the right to keep our mouths shut and not be compelled to state our political position or vote.

Our right of peaceable assembly includes the right to avoid compulsory attendance of rallies.

Our right to silence includes the right to testify.

Our freedom of religion includes the right not to worship.

Our right to petition government doesn't mean we're forced to do so.

Our right to vote doesn't mean that voting is mandatory.

Our right to receive a doctor's care doesn't mean we must go to the doctor.

Etc.

And our right to life includes the right to choose not to live.  And our right to receive a physician's advice and assistance doesn't mean we have to do so.  That's up to you...the patient chooses.

Unless, of course, you live in a statist tyranny...where the state controls our lives, not us.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 03:27:46 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 04:55:10 pm »
I'm all for a person having the right to choose not to live (not a fan of the choice itself, but the right to make it).

I'm not at all for a doctor to have the right to kill someone.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 12:09:33 am »
I prefer the way it was done in "Soylent Green".
All I've got to say on this subject...

Online rustynail

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 12:24:28 am »
The judges should try out the law to make sure it is working as written.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 12:34:11 am »
I'm all for a person having the right to choose not to live (not a fan of the choice itself, but the right to make it).

I'm not at all for a doctor to have the right to kill someone.

The only reason a physician needs to be involved in many cases is big government.  It used to be you could get the meds you wanted...then statists and the medical guild got together so a prescription is mandated.

I'm all for getting the government out (except for public risks like antibiotics), but the big-government types don't want that!
+++++++++