Author Topic: Theranos founder Holmes, former president indicted for fraud  (Read 496 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
(Reuters) - Theranos Inc founder Elizabeth Holmes and the embattled blood-testing company's former president were indicted on charges that they engaged in schemes to defraud investors, doctors and patients, the U.S. Justice Department announced on Friday.

The charges against Holmes, 34, and Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani, 53, were announced shortly after the privately held company said that she was stepping down as its chief executive.

Prosecutors said that Holmes and Balwani used advertising and solicitations to encourage doctors and patients to use its blood testing laboratory services despite knowing the company could not produce accurate and reliable results consistently.

"This conspiracy misled doctors and patients about the reliability of medical tests that endangered health and lives," FBI Special Agent in Charge John Bennett said in a statement.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/theranos-founder-elizabeth-holmes-steps-205207032.html

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 11:31:22 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Theranos founder Holmes, former president indicted for fraud
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 11:29:44 pm »
It’s about damned time, because the stunt this Steve Jobs wannabe pulled was heinous and life-threatening.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 11:32:11 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 11:31:31 pm »
It’s about damned time, because the stunt she pulled was heinous and life-threatening.

Exactly.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 09:06:20 am »
It’s about damned time, because the stunt this Steve Jobs wannabe pulled was heinous and life-threatening.
Yep. Better to have no data than bad data.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 01:58:36 pm »
The way she shows no remorse is chilling.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn