Author Topic: Tiger Woods bombs in US Open disaster  (Read 4488 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Tiger Woods bombs in US Open disaster
« on: June 15, 2018, 09:36:39 pm »
Tiger Woods bombs in US Open disaster
NY Post, Jun 15, 2018, Brett Cyrgalis

For all intents and purposes, Tiger Woods’ U.S. Open is over.

The 14-time major champion continued his implosion at Shinnecock Hills with a second-round 72 on Friday, closing with two consecutive birdies to bring his two-day total to 10-over. Even if the afternoon wave of players shoots high scores, Woods remains on the outside of an early projected cut line around 8-over.

“I don’t think you can be too happy and too excited about 10-over par,” Woods said.

Woods teed off on his first hole, No. 10, and made a birdie in the morning rain. Despite the gloomy weather, and despite Woods’ awful-looking first-round 78, there was optimism in the air. He then traded a bogey at 14 with a birdie at the par-5 16th, and then bogeyed 18 to make the turn at even-par for the round.

More: https://nypost.com/2018/06/15/tiger-woods-bombs-in-us-open-disaster/

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Tiger Woods bombs in US Open disaster
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 10:05:34 pm »
That is encouraging for me! That means I golf almost as well as freakin' Tiger Woods. Woohoo!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 02:57:15 am »
I'm glad ten years ago that I never bet anyone about Woods's future major wins.  At the time I thought there was no way he wouldn't  win at least ten more majors in the next ten years.
After his 2008 U.S. Open win,  if someone had put some money down in Vegas that he wouldn't  win  another major in the next ten years, they could have made a lot of dough.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 03:10:29 am »
Oh well, he's always got his restaurant in Jupiter to fall back on.  I hope he has invested and saved wisely.

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 03:25:52 am »
Tiger Woods?!!? Unexpected!
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 02:22:15 pm »
Oh well, he's always got his restaurant in Jupiter to fall back on.  I hope he has invested and saved wisely.
He made over a billion dollars from his golf career. Even after his divorce, in 2018 his net worth  was  estimated at 740 million.
He probably won't go begging for a while yet.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 02:39:07 pm »
Some people had decreed Tiger the best golfer ever.

While he certainly was the guy to beat for a number of years, he is excelled now by a number of younger, more focused players.

And his tenure of winning does not remotely compare to Jack Nicklaus who was on his game for a least a decade longer than Tiger.

In the final analysis, the off-course life he led caused him to shorten his career.  The truly great players did not let that end their careers prematurely, but endured.

Character means something.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 02:39:41 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 02:46:42 pm »
I doubt he'll ever win again - anything, not just a major. But the media continue to hype him, no matter how poorly he plays.  *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 03:09:40 pm »
He made over a billion dollars from his golf career. Even after his divorce, in 2018 his net worth  was  estimated at 740 million.
He probably won't go begging for a while yet.

Yeah, but he's young and his home on Jupiter Island cannot be cheap to maintain.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 03:12:45 pm »
There's an article in this week's SI about how his restaurant could never have another paying customer and TW still would be just fine, financially. Interesting business plan, to say the least.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 03:25:12 pm »
There's an article in this week's SI about how his restaurant could never have another paying customer and TW still would be just fine, financially. Interesting business plan, to say the least.

Yep, I'm teasing a bit about it.  Of course, if he had hit and wounded or killed someone with that last DUI things could be different.  Hopefully there won't be another one of those.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 03:35:20 pm »

Apparently Robert Deniro has the same business plan for his resturants
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 03:40:14 pm »
Tiger was the first pro golfer I was excited about enough to follow his play. And I’m not the only one. His early career was credited with bringing a lot of new duffers to the game.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 03:58:48 pm »
Some people had decreed Tiger the best golfer ever.

While he certainly was the guy to beat for a number of years, he is excelled now by a number of younger, more focused players.

And his tenure of winning does not remotely compare to Jack Nicklaus who was on his game for a least a decade longer than Tiger.

In the final analysis, the off-course life he led caused him to shorten his career.  The truly great players did not let that end their careers prematurely, but endured.

Character means something.

@IsailedawayfromFR

I was somewhat aquainted with his father back in my Vietnam days.  Apples don't fall far from the tree is all I'm going to say.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 04:43:28 pm »
Woods isn't the first or only highly gifted athlete, that failed to keep it ALL, together.

Mickey Mantle and Lance Armstrong come to mind.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 04:49:22 pm »
Tiger was the first pro golfer I was excited about enough to follow his play. And I’m not the only one. His early career was credited with bringing a lot of new duffers to the game.
Yeah, but like the tennis boom, the golf boom seems to have waned around my parts. The course I used to play on when I was younger was considered the best in the area.  It has now lain vacant for the last five or more years. It used to be tough to get a tee time on it.
A number of other course have suffered declines.  There was a boom for a while in the nineties with a number of new courses built in the area.
But now their numbers are suffering as well.
It seems the millennials don't like to play golf nearly as much as the older generations with their age group responsible for the steepest decline. Fiddling with an electronic device seems to be more popular with them rather than whacking a white ball around some acreage.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 06:30:37 pm »
Yeah, but like the tennis boom, the golf boom seems to have waned around my parts. The course I used to play on when I was younger was considered the best in the area.  It has now lain vacant for the last five or more years. It used to be tough to get a tee time on it.
A number of other course have suffered declines.  There was a boom for a while in the nineties with a number of new courses built in the area.
But now their numbers are suffering as well.
It seems the millennials don't like to play golf nearly as much as the older generations with their age group responsible for the steepest decline. Fiddling with an electronic device seems to be more popular with them rather than whacking a white ball around some acreage.

That’s a shame. Golf is a wonderful, challenging game one can spend a lifetime trying to master. A bit pricey, but what better way to get out of the house for 4-5 hours away from the little woman?

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 06:33:42 pm »
I'm glad ten years ago that I never bet anyone about Woods's future major wins.  At the time I thought there was no way he wouldn't  win at least ten more majors in the next ten years.
After his 2008 U.S. Open win,  if someone had put some money down in Vegas that he wouldn't  win  another major in the next ten years, they could have made a lot of dough.

The thing is, had he sat out the 2008 US Open, he may have won more majors,  I think coming back too soon to play in that tournament did some permanent damage that he never recovered from.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 07:02:36 pm »
The thing is, had he sat out the 2008 US Open, he may have won more majors,  I think coming back too soon to play in that tournament did some permanent damage that he never recovered from.
It's funny about how some great players, like Woods, who looked like they were going to set unbeatable records lost it.
I remember in the early sixties when Arnold Palmer was still winning major titles. He won his last major in the early sixties in his early thirties....just like Woods.  Pro golfers usually are just getting into their prime in their thirties. Palmer won his last major in 1964 at the age of 34.
He blew the '66 U.S. Open on the last round losing a huge lead with nine holes to play. Why he didn't win another major after that is a mystery. Maybe after he got older a little loss of athleticism couldn't compensate for his karate chop swing..
Lee Trevino won all his majors in his early thirties.  He was struck by lightning at a tournament in '75, and that might have killed his career.
But Woods looked poised to keep on winning.
You just never know.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:08:03 pm by goatprairie »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 07:02:49 pm »
Mr. M and I are avid golfers. Between us, we played over 300 times last year (inexpensively,  at a public course, walking). I'm okay with the absence of Tiggy fans clogging up the courses. On the other hand, I hate to see golf courses go under. Many country clubs are at risk because they won't restructure their prices.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 07:33:49 pm »
Have to make a correction. Trevino did win the PGA in 1984 at age 44.

Offline berdie

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 12:08:42 am »
Looking at the leader board...this course must be a real b!tch. (I don't know much about golf. But over par ain't good)

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2018, 01:57:22 am »
Looking at the leader board...this course must be a real b!tch. (I don't know much about golf. But over par ain't good)
Depends on the course and the conditions. For big events like the U.S. Open, the USGA officials want to make the tournament a test. That means any player shooting a great score is going to have to be playing super golf.
There have been numerous majors titles with the winning score being around even par.
Today was super tough for the players because of the wind and the hardness of the greens.
If the wind dies down a bit tomorrow and the greens are watered, you should see better scores. The greens today were so hard it was almost impossible for a player to land a shot near the hole like they usually do on other courses. The greens today were almost as hard as concrete.

Offline corbe

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2018, 05:13:38 pm »
  I've never liked or understood Golf, but this US Open is fascinating to me and taught me Par, Bogey, Birdie...etc....

One of my concubines is an avid Golfer and has always failed to sway me to the Sport.  It took a bunch of old white sports announcers on Fox to make me realize the error of my ways.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2018, 05:23:14 pm »
You're playing and you think everything is going fine. Then one thing goes wrong. And then another. And another. You try to fight back, but the harder you fight, the deeper you sink. Until you can't move... you can't breathe... because you're in over your head. Like quicksand.  That is pretty much Tigers career since his crack up.  Oh and What a bloody shambles his US open performance was. You could smell his stink all the way back to Jupiter..
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."