Author Topic: Many animals are shifting from day to night to avoid people  (Read 698 times)

rangerrebew

Many animals are shifting from day to night to avoid people
June 14, 2018 by Emiliano Rodriguez Mega

Lions and tigers and bears are increasingly becoming night owls because of us, a new study says.

Scientists have long known that human activity disrupts nature. Besides becoming more vigilant and reducing time spent looking for food, many mammals may travel to remote areas or move around less to avoid contact with people.

The latest research found even activities like hiking and camping can scare animals and drive them to become more active at night.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-06-animals-shifting-day-night-people.html#jCp

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Many animals are shifting from day to night to avoid people
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 09:44:56 pm »
I am doing the same here on TBR.  From now on I will only post from 1am till 4am to avoid people. 
Solid plan.  Please join me.   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 10:00:30 pm »
The greater Lost Angeles edge suburbs have changed.

Fifty years back,  coyote would have many dining choices, in the areas still farther out.

Today the finest choices are domestic cates closer in, at night. People start seeing coyotes, alone, pairs etc. at dusk.

Decades ago, you never saaw coyotes in the suburbs.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 12:18:19 am »
I am doing the same here on TBR.  From now on I will only post from 1am till 4am to avoid people. 
Solid plan.  Please join me.

Sure! I'll join yo....waitaminute....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 12:48:21 am »
Sure! I'll join yo....waitaminute....

It's 4 am somewhere.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 04:14:33 am »
We are part of nature.  All creatures have some effect on their environment.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 06:34:26 pm »
The greater Lost Angeles edge suburbs have changed.

Fifty years back,  coyote would have many dining choices, in the areas still farther out.

Today the finest choices are domestic cates closer in, at night. People start seeing coyotes, alone, pairs etc. at dusk.

Decades ago, you never saaw coyotes in the suburbs.
They roam all over Buena Park, CA, sometimes in the middle of the day, a single coyote tried to drag off a toddler at the Cypress,CA Forest Lawn mid day. My Mother is afraid to take her dog out at dusk in Leisure World Seal Beach, CA because the coyotes roam in singles and more after dusk, but at least it's more understandable there because of the all the open military base property around her. Wildlife have reached their limit of being pushed out by man and have been moving back into urban areas where there is ample and easy food and water.

I lived in West Anaheim, CA. and over fifteen years watched not just the oversized rat possums become more prevalent, but raccoon, three different types of hawks, owls and coyotes. Oh and roving flocks of parrots, which we loved because they are the only thing that crows seem to fear, since when the parrots came around the crows left the area.