Author Topic: 'When has it ever become legal to shoot someone because they’re pulling off in your car?'  (Read 3693 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/off-duty-chicago-fire-department-lieutenant-fatally-shoots-carjacker/

...The lieutenant fired his weapon at the teen, who was trying to run him over with the vehicle, authorities said.

The boy, identified as 17-year-old Charles K. Macklin who lived in the same neighborhood, was shot in the chest and taken to West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park, where he was pronounced dead at 9:33 a.m., police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said....

If he is trying to run over him, that's not 'pulling off in your car', that's attempted murder with a 2 ton weapon.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
If he is trying to run over him, that's not 'pulling off in your car', that's attempted murder with a 2 ton weapon.

Certain segments of our society see that as trying to escape and you got in the way.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
@edpc
Its something that depends on individual circumstances.   I don't have a problem with thieves paying a price for their actions.   I am just not in a hurry to take a life or spend a lot of money on lawyers.  hate lawyers almost as much as thieves.

Of course. My fishing gear is always in the vehicle this time of year. There are times when I have an opportunity on my way back home to check out a new spot. If I caught someone breaking into the vehicle and running off with it, would I shoot them?  No - and I don’t buy cheap stuff.   In that instance, I am going to report the crime, then go to Cabela’s or Bass Pro and replace it.  If, however, I was in the position where I depended on that tackle to put food on the table, we might have a different situation.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline endicom

No one is going to comment on that headline?

Offline ABX

Certain segments of our society see that as trying to escape and you got in the way.

Many people see it as a football game. Once you get possession, the ball is yours.

Offline ABX

No one is going to comment on that headline?

Not enough coffee yet.. but since you mentioned it....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Not to mention the attempted homicide in trying to run him over.
That is the key point here, not that the kid was stealing the vehicle, but that they were using it as a deadly weapon to assault the owner.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The tragedy here is that the family of the person killed is not accepting any responsibility for the dead person's behavior, and is casting him as a victim instead.

Bad actions have consequences.

Sadly that's the world we live in these days.  We're a couple generations into the indoctrination of people to believe they are never responsible for their actions...it's always someone else's fault.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The tragedy here is that the family of the person killed is not accepting any responsibility for the dead person's behavior, and is casting him as a victim instead.

Bad actions have consequences.

@IsailedawayfromFR

That's where the money is. Who knows,they might even become friends with Oprah?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
One more dead perp "yute".

Live the bad life, meet a bad end.

I'm supposed to feel sorry for him?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Better the streets be littered with the bodies of young thugs than with mine. 

Just my take on this whole thing.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Sadly that's the world we live in these days.  We're a couple generations into the indoctrination of people to believe they are never responsible for their actions...it's always someone else's fault.

Consequences have a way of reasserting themselves...as this Yout found out.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline verga

Because an amazing number of folks will agree with her.
And they all pull the lever for Demoncrats.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline goatprairie

One more dead perp "yute".

Live the bad life, meet a bad end.

I'm supposed to feel sorry for him?
So they pass a law making it illegal to shoot someone stealing your car...even if they're trying to run you over.
 And many more young thugs like this one then know they can get away with stealing anything they want with little chance of being shot at.
 A great many of these car thieves kill innocent people when they're chased by the cops.
Some kids in NYC were recently killed by a thug who stole a car and crashed into the kids while being chased by cops. If we allow thugs to steal cars with no threat of a violent end, we're going to see a lot more car thefts and innocent people killed.
Good riddance to the thug.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
So they pass a law making it illegal to shoot someone stealing your car...even if they're trying to run you over.
 And many more young thugs like this one then know they can get away with stealing anything they want with little chance of being shot at.
 A great many of these car thieves kill innocent people when they're chased by the cops.
Some kids in NYC were recently killed by a thug who stole a car and crashed into the kids while being chased by cops. If we allow thugs to steal cars with no threat of a violent end, we're going to see a lot more car thefts and innocent people killed.
Good riddance to the thug.

All it takes is one change in the wording in one of these gun grabbing states as to what constitutes "self defense" to change a justified shooting into Murder 2.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:05:17 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
All it takes is one change in the wording in one of these gun grabbing states as to what constitutes "self defense" to change a justified shooting into Murder 2.

Or a Prosecutor willing to go that extra mile.  Like the one that went after George Zimmerman.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Or a Prosecutor willing to go that extra mile.  Like the one that went after George Zimmerman.

Yeah there's that too.

Online rustynail

"It's Not Just Your Car, It's Your Freedom."

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
That last group may be 20~30% of the general population.

@thackney

Yeah,but you know what? For some odd reason the expensive Harley's that belong to outlaw bikers almost never get stolen.

Gee,I wonder why?

Offline Hoodat

"It's Not Just Your Car, It's Your Freedom."

Before freedom comes life.  We are endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable rights, among them life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  A portion of my life was expended in order to earn the money to purchase a car.  So taking that car from me is depriving me of part of my life.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@thackney

Yeah,but you know what? For some odd reason the expensive Harley's that belong to outlaw bikers almost never get stolen.

Gee,I wonder why?
Even if they could get away with the bike there is no resale market. No one would want to be sitting at a light on a bike with an club serial number stamped on the cases without holding the patches.

Smuggling raw plutonium in your rectum would be a smarter way to make a living.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Even if they could get away with the bike there is no resale market. No one would want to be sitting at a light on a bike with an club serial number stamped on the cases without holding the patches.

@Smokin Joe

Proving my point that people tend to steal when they think getting caught is only a minor inconvenience,and don't steal when they KNOW they will get their tickets punched if they get caught.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
There was a story in the news about one year ago about a bank robber who got shot and killed by a customer with a concealed carry permit at some bank down south.
The family of the dead perp were unduly upset about their dear, loved one being shot and killed because it wasn't the concealed carry customer's money being stolen....it was the bank's.....why should the concealed carry customer care?
By the way, the perp had his gun out pointed at the bank workers.  Who knows if on receipt of the swag he wouldn't have started blasting away.
But the concealed carry customer who stopped an armed robbery is a villain in their eyes. And their dear, beloved bank robbing  son is (sob) A VICTIM!!!

That story is ridiculous.

The customer is a hero!

:amen:
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Smokin Joe

BTW,the funniest crime case I ever heard involved a black guy in NYC that mugged a old woman walking down the street. Caused her some physical pain,but at this late date I don't remember how much.

What I DO remember is that when he showed up at the arraignment to hear his charges,he was without question the most apologetic criminal you ever heard of. It turned out that the old Italian lady he knocked to the sidewalk and whose purse he stole was named Gambino. Guess who her son was. Yup,some dood named Carlo Gambino.

Talk about a case of "I am truly sorry,and if you will just gimme 3 steps you won't hear from me no mo!"   The newspaper report I read even said the judge and the lawyers were snickering.

I am going to go out on a limb here,and guess that this man is no longer with us. Getting sentenced to prison would just result in making it easier to find him,and you KNOW there were people waiting outside on the street that wanted to talk with him if he was released.

I laughed so hard I cried. I can just picture that goober standing in court and having no problems at all convincing everyone in there about just how sorry he was,and that he would never do anything like that again,and both him and everybody else knowing that nothing he said or nothing the court did made a damn bit of difference .  He was a dead man walking.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:27:55 pm by sneakypete »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

That's certainly how the ACLU lawyer representing the dead kids family would spin it if they decide to sue.