Author Topic: Key conservative presses for shield law after seizure of NYT reporter’s records  (Read 429 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/392322-key-conservative-presses-for-shield-law-after-seizure-of-nyt-reporters-records

The Justice Department’s seizure of a New York Times reporter’s private email and phone records has sparked one of President Trump’s top GOP allies in Congress to say he’ll aggressively pursue legislation to protect journalists.

Freedom Caucus leader Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), a possible candidate for Speaker, said the need for a federal media “shield” law is even more critical after the taking of reporter Ali Watkins’ records.

The shield law he’s proposed would protect journalists from being forced by the government to turn over their records or sources, and is similar to a bill that had been co-authored by Vice President Mike Pence.

“For me, it truly is about the Constitution,” Jordan, a former attorney, told The Hill in an interview.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I'd be ok with it IF they also included a ban on gifts to govt weenies from reporters.  oh wait its already illegal for govt people to accept those from anyone
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I'd be ok with it IF they also included a ban on gifts to govt weenies from reporters.  oh wait its already illegal for govt people to accept those from anyone

Exactly yes. 

I just love the idiocy of the Republicans in Congress: "Let's make ANOTHER LAW that the Oligarchy and their miscreants will ignore and be exonerated from if caught".
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775