Author Topic: Egypt: Christian arrested for carrying water bottle during Ramadan  (Read 1996 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Egypt: Christian arrested for carrying water bottle during Ramadan
Mark Ellis

By Mark Ellis —
Hani Shamshoun Girgis was arrested for carrying a bottle of water during Ramadan. (World Watch Monitor)

An Egyptian Christian was held by police for carrying a bottle of water during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, when Muslims are required to fast from sun-up to sundown, according to World Watch Monitor (WWM).

Hani Girgis, 31, a photographer with the Tahrir newspaper, arrived at Giza railway station, when he was approached by a police officer and asked to present his identification.

When the officer discovered from the ID that he was a Christian, he started searching his bag.

Read more at: http://blog.godreports.com/2018/06/egypt-christian-arrested-for-carrying-water-bottle-during-ramadan/

Offline Suppressed

Re: Egypt: Christian arrested for carrying water bottle during Ramadan
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 03:21:27 am »
@roamer_1

Kinda like the "stoned to death for firewood on the Sabbath" thing from Numbers 15:32-, eh?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 06:53:35 pm »
@roamer_1

Kinda like the "stoned to death for firewood on the Sabbath" thing from Numbers 15:32-, eh?

@Suppressed
No, more like a Christian being forced by a secular government to bake a cake for a homo wedding, or face destitution.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 06:54:58 pm »
@Suppressed
No, more like a Christian being forced by a secular government to bake a cake for a homo wedding, or face destitution.

Absolutely incomparable. 

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 07:06:48 pm »
@roamer_1

@Suppressed

You do know that the Jews and Christians stop doing that a few years ago? Right?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 07:16:41 pm »
@Suppressed

You do know that the Jews and Christians stop doing that a few years ago? Right?

@240B

Yes, but it remains in holy scripture.

So I guess what you're saying is that we can't judge a religion by their holy scripture.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 07:30:07 pm »
Absolutely incomparable.

Absolutely the same thing - The coercive nature of government is not restricted to religion.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 07:31:10 pm »
The Christians stopped doing it 2,0000 years ago and the Jews didn't force non-Jews to follow their laws.
Countdown to Resignation

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 07:31:26 pm »
Absolutely the same thing - The coercive nature of government is not restricted to religion.

Absolutely not.  The one is a regulation of business activity, the other of purely personal activity. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 07:32:44 pm »
Absolutely not.  The one is a regulation of business activity, the other of purely personal activity.

No different at all - My business is an extension of me, on my private property.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 07:36:02 pm »
No different at all - My business is an extension of me, on my private property.

Totally different.  A business is not a mere extension of the owner’s personal life and may be regulated in ways that the owner’s personal life cannot. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 07:42:23 pm »
Totally different.  A business is not a mere extension of the owner’s personal life and may be regulated in ways that the owner’s personal life cannot.

Right- Because government coercion.
When the same is used as precedence to keep you from kicking the privileged out of your home, don't come crying to me.

Point in fact: Governmental coercion is no different than religious coercion.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 07:51:55 pm »
I don't agree, of course.  About the arrest.

But, I understand it.

Fasting during Ramadan is not easy for all Muslims.  Especially, being forbidden to even drink water.

Not that it was a deliberate snub or insult, but any Muslim would be upset to see somebody swigging cold spring water in the desert heat.

...and a Christian, to boot??   

Don't mess with Muslims during Ramadan.  Period.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 07:52:17 pm »
Right- Because government coercion.
When the same is used as precedence to keep you from kicking the privileged out of your home, don't come crying to me.

Point in fact: Governmental coercion is no different than religious coercion.

You can yammer about it all you want, but the fact remains that commercial activity is different from purely personal activity.  Always has been and always will be.  I realize you hate this because it means that businesses can be prevented from discriminating against gays, but that’s too bad. 

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 07:55:08 pm »
I don't agree, of course.  About the arrest.

But, I understand it.

Fasting during Ramadan is not easy for all Muslims.  Especially, being forbidden to even drink water.

Not that it was a deliberate snub or insult, but any Muslim would be upset to see somebody swigging cold spring water in the desert heat.

...and a Christian, to boot??   

Don't mess with Muslims during Ramadan.  Period.

Yeah they've been known to kill for far less.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 07:56:33 pm »
I realize you hate this because it means that businesses can be prevented from discriminating against gays, but that’s too bad.

Nice strawman. Where did you get it?
Countdown to Resignation

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 08:07:33 pm »
You can yammer about it all you want, but the fact remains that commercial activity is different from purely personal activity.  Always has been and always will be.  I realize you hate this because it means that businesses can be prevented from discriminating against gays, but that’s too bad.

No, I hate it because I should be able to discriminate any damn way I want to, not just homos. It is my business on my property, intrinsically and directly tied to my pursuit of happiness.

That you agree that I should be coerced into service is merely a matter of whose ox. They will come for yours next. That's how it works.

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 08:10:34 pm »
No, I hate it because I should be able to discriminate any damn way I want to, not just homos. It is my business on my property, intrinsically and directly tied to my pursuit of happiness.

That you agree that I should be coerced into service is merely a matter of whose ox. They will come for yours next. That's how it works.

Tough. If you don’t like it, then don’t carry on a commercial activity that puts you to the test. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 08:18:52 pm »
Tough. If you don’t like it, then don’t carry on a commercial activity that puts you to the test.

Nah. I will carry on as I always do. Sue me all you want - You can't get blood out of a turnip.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 08:26:20 pm »

Like carrying a water bottle.

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 08:26:59 pm »
Like carrying a water bottle.

Not a commercial activity. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 08:28:13 pm »
Not a commercial activity.

Unless you're selling water.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 08:31:13 pm »
@240B

Yes, but it remains in holy scripture.

So I guess what you're saying is that we can't judge a religion by their holy scripture.
@Suppressed

Believe it or not, you really can't. A religion is defined more by doctrine and practice than strictly by scripture. For example the Torah also says that an unruly child should be killed. But any Rabbi or religious scholar will tell you that there no documented case of that ever happening.

Scripture has a lot of purposes. And one of them is teaching by parable. The eye of a needle and such like that.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 08:55:19 pm »
@Suppressed

Believe it or not, you really can't. A religion is defined more by doctrine and practice than strictly by scripture. For example the Torah also says that an unruly child should be killed. But any Rabbi or religious scholar will tell you that there no documented case of that ever happening.

Scripture has a lot of purposes. And one of them is teaching by parable. The eye of a needle and such like that.

Thank you, @240B

There are many who claim all Muslims must be horrid because of what is written.  But as you say, that doesn't mean all adhere to what's written.
+++++++++

Oceander