Author Topic: State of Texas Republican Convention  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
State of Texas Republican Convention
« on: June 15, 2018, 01:14:34 am »
I am a delegate this year, and if anyone is interested, I thought I would post from the convention.

We are in San Antonio at the Henry B. Gonzales Convention Center.  Of the appointed 7,981 state delegates and 937 alternates, 3,173 delegates and 317 alternates were in attendance.  (~46%) Not very impressive numbers.

Called to order at 9am this morning.  There was some controversy over Rule 9, which stated that candidates for Chair and VP had to be submitted before the meeting started.  Apparently one group wanted to nominate a last minute candidate after the candidates had been introduced and given their speeches.  Motion did not succeed.

The Tribune has a pretty good summary of the Ashe/Dickey race.  https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06/14/texas-gop-convention-underway-delegates-prepare-pick-next-party-chair/

We vote on them in the morning.

We then went to our caucus groups, and elected permanent committee members.  Broke early afternoon and will resume at 8am in the morning.

A few photos to give you a bit of the flavor of the event:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: State of Texas Republican Convention
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 01:16:25 am »
Dan Patrick at our caucus, and dinner at Mi Tierra:

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 04:03:50 am »
Thank you for taking the time to get involved.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 12:19:51 pm »
I am a delegate this year, and if anyone is interested, I thought I would post from the convention.

Thank you for your time in participating and sharing with us!
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 03:23:45 pm »
Dan Patrick at our caucus, and dinner at Mi Tierra:

Gotta love Mi Tierra.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 05:11:20 pm »
Cool!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 10:16:35 pm »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 10:34:28 pm »
John Cornyn
Our State Legislator, Charles Schwertner
Greg Abbott

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 10:35:51 pm »
More Greg Abbott and family.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 10:37:56 pm »
Closing Abbott's speech,
Dan Patrick's speech,
a view on the way out of town.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 10:51:27 pm »
Quick summary of today's activities:

We started at our caucus, and in a somewhat contentious vote, Cindy Ashe was voted to be the nominee for District 5 over James Dickey.  Hector Rangel was selected as VP nominee. 

I had to leave this afternoon and don't have the final election results between Ashe and Dickey.  The anger over the Texas convention and the national one is still evident in this election.  Here's the Tribune take on it: 

With the Texas GOP convention underway, a contentious chair race reaches its end

Incumbent GOP Chairman James Dickey is fending off a challenge from Cindy Asche, who has questioned Dickey's support for President Donald Trump.

by Patrick Svitek and Cassandra Pollock June 14, 2018 Updated: 2 hours ago

Cindy Asche and Republican Party of Texas Chairman James Dickey speak at the RPT convention on June 14, 2018. Asche is challenging Dickey for leadership of the state party.

Bob Daemmrich for The Texas Tribune

*Editor's note: This story has been updated with the news that the race is moving to the convention floor.

SAN ANTONIO — The Texas GOP convention got underway here Thursday morning with dueling speeches by the two candidates for party chairman, the culmination of a contentious months-long race to lead the biggest Republican Party in the country.

On Friday, the nearly 9,000 delegates and alternates who've descended on the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center will decide whether they want to keep James Dickey as chairman or dispense with him for challenger Cindy Asche, a veteran activist from Frisco. The race will be decided on the convention floor after Asche won nine out of 31 Senate district caucus votes in the morning. She needed three to advance to the floor. Dickey won the other 22.

It has been a battle highlighted by pitched disputes over the party's finances, its censure of outgoing GOP House Speaker Joe Straus and even a 2004 securities fraud case involving Dickey.

Perhaps looming largest over the race in the final hours, though, is an issue that has previously dogged Dickey: his level of support for Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential race. Originally a supporter of U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz in the White House contest, Dickey went on to become a leader in Texas of the Free the Delegates movement to deny Trump the nomination at the national convention....

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06/14/texas-gop-convention-underway-delegates-prepare-pick-next-party-chair/

Ashe is the daughter Bill Crockett who was the RNC National Committeeman for Texas during the last election cycle.  She was also opposed to censuring Joe Strauss. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 10:52:27 pm »
James Dickey wins re-election as chairman of the Texas GOP

Dickey defeated longtime activist Cindy Asche in a floor fight at the party's state convention.

by Patrick Svitek June 15, 2018 Updated: 5:48 PM

SAN ANTONIO — Texas GOP Chairman James Dickey has won re-election, beating back a challenge from longtime activist Cindy Asche after a long and bitter fight on the convention floor Friday.

Dickey got 65 percent of the delegates' votes to Asche's 35 percent at the end of the tumultuous afternoon session. That came hours after delegates delivered 22 of the 31 state Senate districts to Dickey.

"Whether you voted for me this morning, whether you voted for me this afternoon or not, we are all Texas Republicans and we have singular goal in front of us in November: to beat the Democrats," Dickey said in a brief victory speech. "So please, let's now come together, show each other the grace and forgiveness and teamwork that makes us the better party, the better people, the better Texans."...

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06/15/texas-gop-chair-election-results/

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 10:59:56 pm »
Great reporting..Thanks Sanquine
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 11:12:11 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline corbe

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 04:37:34 am »
   Thank you @Sanguine for this report.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 08:03:23 am »
Thank you @Sanguine for your support and sharing this with us.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 12:51:06 pm »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 02:50:52 pm »
You're all so welcome!  It was very interesting. 

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 03:27:44 pm »
@Sanguine

Thanks for reporting.  When I went to numerous Texas State Republican Conventions, I could tell who was there for their first time.  First time women tended to wear dress up clothes and dress shoes.  First time men were likely to have on suits.  Those of us having been there more than once, knew the Texas temp. was going to be high, one was going to sweat going from one building to another, walking to hotel, etc., it was going to be HOT, so wear the least amount of clothes you could to try to stay cool.  There is a large amount of walking, so walking shoes, sneakers, etc., was the shoe decision if you had been there more than once.

When Ron Paul was running for president in 2012, a number of his "people" managed to get themselves selected as state delegates, and the party did not want them selected as delegates to the national convention, so an effort was made to identify his people - it was super easy - they were all young men and they all wore suits and carried brief cases. None of them were selected to go to the national convention.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 07:00:15 pm »
@Sanguine

Just WOW!  Dazzle 'em!

Thank you for your hard work.  It is wonderful that you are at the Texas Convention!  Too bad the other delegates could not make it, unless they were liberals, of course...

You are only the second person I have known who has been a delegate.  Did you get appointed?

888high58888
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 08:44:15 pm »
@Sanguine

Just WOW!  Dazzle 'em!

Thank you for your hard work.  It is wonderful that you are at the Texas Convention!  Too bad the other delegates could not make it, unless they were liberals, of course...

You are only the second person I have known who has been a delegate.  Did you get appointed?

888high58888

Did I get appointed to be a delegate?  There's not a whole lot of people active in politics in my county.  It was more like it defaulted to me. 

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 05:42:32 pm »
Darn, I missed you there.  My first convention, thought it was kind of fun.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2018, 05:58:21 pm »
Darn, I missed you there.  My first convention, thought it was kind of fun.

Well, heck!  My first convention as a delegate.  I went once as an alternate. What district are you in?  I'm in 5.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2018, 06:00:23 pm »
Unfortunately I missed this one.   Second one I've missed since 1988. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2018, 06:03:37 pm »
@MajorClay @Bigun

Thank you for your involvement. You two and @Sanguine are awesome.
Principles matter. Words matter.