Author Topic: The Guy Who Created Oculus Has Now Made Surveillance Tech That Acts As A Virtual Border Wall  (Read 664 times)

rangerrebew

The Guy Who Created Oculus Has Now Made Surveillance Tech That Acts As A Virtual Border Wall

by Dan Robitzski June 12, 2018 Future Society

Right now, on the border between the United States and Mexico, a startup called Anduril is testing out its advanced new virtual border wall technology. Comprised of sensor towers carrying cameras and sensor lasers powered by an artificial intelligence algorithm, the virtual wall can spot any person or animal moving around near the border within a two-mile radius.

Anduril (nerd alert: it’s named after Aragorn’s sword) was founded by Palmer Luckey, the same guy who created and sold virtual reality company Oculus to Facebook and donated money to right-wing group Nimble America. He’s hoping the Department of Homeland Security will purchase the technology, called Lattice, to create a virtual border wall, which would be far cheaper for the government than building the physical barricade President Trump has promised.

https://futurism.com/virtual-border-wall/

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
in a 10-week period, Lattice’s test in Texas helped customs agents catch 55 unauthorized border crossers,

I wonder how many came in and weren't caught?

Offline thackney

If it doesn't stop them, it isn't a virtual wall.

It spots them.  It is a virtual guard or observer.

Tie in an automated mini-gun, now you've got stopping power.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Actually the democrats consider it a great tool to keep an accurate count of their future voters.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Yep. There is no substitute for a physical barrier. Cut the power to a virtual system and you have nothing. Just some hardware gathering dust and cooling off.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis