Author Topic: North Korea will destroy large-scale facility that was used to test engines for ICBM's  (Read 626 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: BUSINESS INSIDER

URL: http://www.businessinsider.com/north-korea-reportedly-makes-a-major-denuclearization-step-for-trump-2018-6

by Alex Lockie

* US president Donald Trump left experts baffled when he said North Korea had agreed to destroy a missile engine testing site, but it now looks like North Korea is making good.

* North Korea will reportedly destroy a large-scale facility in Tongchang-ri, North Pyongan Province that was used to test engines for the intercontinental-range ballistic missile, the Hwasong-14.

* The Hwasong-14 was the first North Korean missile experts said could hit the US mainland with a nuclear payload.

* Measures like the destruction of testing sites in North Korea, if monitored by US and international experts, could build the kind of trust needed to carry out denuclearization.

(Excerpt) Click above link for the rest....

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
If this happens, it is actually a pretty big deal, and not just for the substantive act of the facility being destroyed.  It would be a pretty good sign that Trump is playing this whole thing rather well in terms of negotiations.  These kind of "trust-builders" prior to a formal agreement can be really useful in terms of bringing two sides together for a final deal.  It also amounts to a Trump essentially "testing" Kim publicly.  Trump makes the statement -- on the record -- that Kim promised to do this.  If Kim doesn't do it, Trump can call him out for bad faith, say that he did a good faith step of postponing military exercises as a good-faith gesture, but Kim betrayed and embarassed him.  It is useful either way.

But if Kim goes through with it, it is a significant action that will help both sides make more concessions along the way.  It's really sound dealmaking strategy.  Trump may be a buffoon in a lot of ways, but the whole way he has handled this is impressive to me.  He is basically ignoring standard political conventions for how international deals are made, and is simply treating this in the more results-oriented style used by businesses.

@Jazzhead
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:40:08 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
So far, the things they are dismantling or destroying are things they no longer need.  They wrecked their mountain with a successful high yield nuclear test.  They obviously have a working design.  No need for an already destroyed facility.  They've managed to build a missile with intercontinental range.  They have a functional engine design.  That site served its purpose.  When they start breaking down centrifuges, turning over HEU and Pu-239, or giving up a warhead, let me know.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
So far, the things they are dismantling or destroying are things they no longer need.  They wrecked their mountain with a successful high yield nuclear test.  They obviously have a working design.  No need for an already destroyed facility.  They've managed to build a missile with intercontinental range.  They have a functional engine design.  That site served its purpose.  When they start breaking down centrifuges, turning over HEU and Pu-239, or giving up a warhead, let me know.

Exactly. From a watchdog website, it looks like this site hasn't been used in years. So he is taking down a damaged site and a probably already decommissioned site. How generous of him. This is almost like 'cash for clunkers'.

https://www.38north.org/tag/tongchang-ri/

Now later we can talk about the dozen or more other sites (that are public knowledge). ...and these were the ones known in 2010. Who knows what has been built since then.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:00:46 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Exactly. From a watchdog website, it looks like this site hasn't been used in years. So he is taking down a damaged site and a probably already decommissioned site. How generous of him. This is almost like 'cash for clunkers'.

https://www.38north.org/tag/tongchang-ri/

Now later we can talk about the dozen or more other sites (that are public knowledge). ...and these were the ones known in 2010. Who knows what has been built since then.

Almost like cash for klunkers.  Well except for the cash
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.