Author Topic: Leading Antarctic experts offer two possible views of continent's future  (Read 1108 times)

rangerrebew

Public Release: 13-Jun-2018
Leading Antarctic experts offer two possible views of continent's future

AMHERST, Mass. - The next 10 years will be critical for the future of Antarctica, and choices made will have long-lasting consequences, says an international group of award-winning Antarctic research scientists in a paper released today. It lays out two different plausible future scenarios for the continent and its Southern Ocean over the next 50 years.

Writing in Nature, the authors are all winners of the Tinker-Muse Prize for Science and Policy in Antarctica and experts in such disciplines as biology, oceanography, glaciology, geophysics, climate science and policy.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-06/uoma-lae061218.php

Offline thackney

I think the biggest technological problem will be maintaining the integrity of the well's casing for the oil flow, while the glacier continues to move across the land.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Fishrrman's prediction for the "future" of Antarctica:

Cold. Very cold.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Why not it warm up like it used to be and provide mankind with more aerable land?  The only thing we lose is NYC and Boston, so it's a great swap.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
. Further, "unrestricted growth in human use" will have degraded the environment and introduced invasive pests.

In the second scenario, "ambitious action" has been taken to limit greenhouse gas emissions and to establish policies that reduce human pressure on the environment,

Us humans are bad for the enviornment.

Offline Joe Wooten

. Further, "unrestricted growth in human use" will have degraded the environment and introduced invasive pests.

In the second scenario, "ambitious action" has been taken to limit greenhouse gas emissions and to establish policies that reduce human pressure on the environment,

Us humans are bad for the enviornment.

I say to the panic mongers - YOU FIRST! Maybe if you conduct your lives like CO2 increases are a crisis, get rid of your electricity and cars, then maybe I'll be a little more tolerant of your views that we all need to cut back on civilized lifestyle. Not that I'd join you.....

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Looks like there is a scenario three
Antarctica's Ice May Be More Durable Than We Thought
A study found that the East Antarctic Ice Sheet has survived higher temperatures than we've created.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/a21347236/antarcticas-ice-more-durable/?src=nl&mag=pop&list=nl_pnl_news&date=061418
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington