Author Topic: Suspected Walmart robber tries to carjack two different cars, both drivers pull out guns  (Read 3349 times)

Offline thackney

@thackney

That article actually calls into question the methodology.

Every study on this topic has criticism.  Better to acknowledge it than pretend it doesn't exist.

Doherty offers his own analysis of reasons why reported numbers might be both too low or too high in his 2015 article, “How to Count the Defensive Use of Guns.”

https://reason.com/blog/2015/03/09/how-to-count-the-defensive-use-of-guns
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:50:16 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online goatprairie

Every study on this topic has criticism.  Better to acknowledge it than pretend it doesn't exist.

Doherty offers his own analysis of reasons why reported numbers might be both too low or too high in his 2015 article, “How to Count the Defensive Use of Guns.”

Whatever the real total ( and I happen believe the three million number is way too high), guns are used for self-defense many thousands of times by average citizesn annually.
The anti-gun people have convinced many millions of Americans that guns are NEVER!!! used for self-defense despite stories like this and numerous others.
How to get the truth out to the general public is the problem.  Obviously, Big Lib Media will never tell the truth.

Offline Suppressed

Well, I tend to believe it's higher than the low-end, as I've been one of the unreported ones.

But I also think some people surveyed might have lied and reported uses that didn't occur.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

Well, I tend to believe it's higher than the low-end, as I've been one of the unreported ones.

But I also think some people surveyed might have lied and reported uses that didn't occur.

Myself as well.  But because there was no crime committed, no police report filed, it won't be counted.

He tried to break into my car, while I was in it.  He tried to punch through the glass of the driver's door after rear-ending my truck.  I reached into the center console and he ran away.  Never even pulled the gun out.  So was that a defensive use of a gun?  I think so. 

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Roughly 5% of Floridians have a concealed carry permit.

You don't have to have a permit to have a gun in your car, it just can't be readily accessible.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

Roughly 5% of Floridians have a concealed carry permit.

You don't have to have a permit to have a gun in your car, it just can't be readily accessible.

To many people over think "readily accessible".

Glove box, zippered pouch, even a holster are not considered readily accessible.  The holster seems a stretch to me.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/ask-trooper-steve/having-a-gun-in-your-car-is-legal-unless-you-do-this

..."Florida law allows you to have a firearm in the car without a permit if it is in a secure container and it cannot be easily accessible," Montiero said.

He added that placing the firearm on the passenger seat, wedged between your seat or in an open compartment where the weapon is still visible and can be reached immediately is not permitted.

"The weapon must be contained," Montiero said. "Having it in a holster, preferably a holster with retention, and placed in your closed glove box is always a good place to start, especially if you are not a licensed concealed weapon holder."

He said the only time a gun can be on someone's person in the car is if the gun owner has a permit to carry from the state of Florida....

Offline Suppressed

"The weapon must be contained," Montiero said. "Having it in a holster, preferably a holster with retention, and placed in your closed glove box is always a good place to start . . .

Note that there's an "and", along with "place to start".

He never said that having it on you, in a holster, is fine.  Maybe it is; maybe not.  IANAL, but I would be cautious in doing that.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

Note that there's an "and", along with "place to start".

He never said that having it on you, in a holster, is fine.  Maybe it is; maybe not.  IANAL, but I would be cautious in doing that.

He said the only time a gun can be on someone's person in the car is if the gun owner has a permit to carry from the state of Florida.

I take that to mean in a holster, in your belt, in your pocket, etc.  I would not have it so it moved with me without the permit.