Author Topic: US troop presence will be critical to the Korean Peninsula for the foreseeable future  (Read 409 times)

rangerrebew

US troop presence will be critical to the Korean Peninsula for the foreseeable future
By Amber Smith, opinion contributor — 06/10/18 02:50 PM EDT

The U.S. troop presence on the Korean peninsula has been a priceless deterrence against our adversaries and invaluable reassurance to our allies in the region for nearly 70 years. In Defense Secretary James Mattis’ words, the nearly 30,000 U.S. troops in South Korea are a “stabilizing presence” in an unpredictable region.

With all eyes on Singapore, the looming question is whether President Trump will use the presence and the number of U.S. troops as leverage for comprehensive, verifiable, irreversible denuclearization of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea’s (DPRK) nuclear program and arsenal.

http://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/391564-us-troop-presence-will-be-critical-to-the-korean-peninsula-for-the

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Keep the Army bases with pre-positioned equipment, but withdraw the troops.  Maintain the Air Force and Navy Bases -- keep those personnel.

If that is the price for an otherwise good deal, I'm fine with that.  ROK is a much more powerful country than is NORK at this point anyway.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Keep the Army bases with pre-positioned equipment, but withdraw the troops.  Maintain the Air Force and Navy Bases -- keep those personnel.

If that is the price for an otherwise good deal, I'm fine with that.  ROK is a much more powerful country than is NORK at this point anyway.

@Maj. Bill Martin

What about the air force on Army bases.   Camp Humphreys is quite the vacation spot.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.