Author Topic: The Most Successful Ethnic Group in the U.S. May Surprise You  (Read 1361 times)

Offline RoosGirl

At an Onyejekwe family get-together, you can’t throw a stone without hitting someone with a master’s degree. Doctors, lawyers, engineers, professors — every family member is highly educated and professionally successful, and many have a lucrative side gig to boot. Parents and grandparents share stories of whose kid just won an academic honor, achieved an athletic title or performed in the school play. Aunts, uncles and cousins celebrate one another’s job promotions or the new nonprofit one of them just started. To the Ohio-based Onyejekwes, this level of achievement is normal. They’re Nigerian-American — it’s just what they do.

Today, 29 percent of Nigerian-Americans over the age of 25 hold a graduate degree, compared to 11 percent of the overall U.S. population, according to the Migrations Policy Institute. Among Nigerian-American professionals, 45 percent work in education services, the 2016 American Community Survey found, and many are professors at top universities. Nigerians are entering the medical field in the U.S. at an increased rate, leaving their home country to work in American hospitals, where they can earn more and work in better facilities. A growing number of Nigerian-Americans are becoming entrepreneurs and CEOs, building tech companies in the U.S. to help people back home.

It hasn’t been easy — the racist stereotypes are far from gone. Last year, President Donald Trump reportedly said in an Oval Office discussion that Nigerians would never go back to “their huts” once they saw America. But overt racism hasn’t stopped Nigerian-Americans from creating jobs, treating patients, teaching students and contributing to local communities in their new home, all while confidently emerging as one of the country’s most succesful immigrant communities, with a median household income of $62,351, compared to $57,617 nationally, as of 2015.

Continued - https://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/meet-the-ethnic-group-redefining-immigrant-success-in-the-us/86885

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: The Most Successful Ethnic Group in the U.S. May Surprise You
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 04:11:41 am »
I've worked with some Nigerians in the past.  I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but they were smart, hard working, ethical people.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 04:41:21 am »
I've worked with some Nigerians in the past.  I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but they were smart, hard working, ethical people.

Me too, and they can't stand "African-Americans", they can't believe so many of them squander the opportunities they have just by being born in this country.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 05:24:45 am »
I had the same experience.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 05:27:23 am »
Me too, and they can't stand "African-Americans", they can't believe so many of them squander the opportunities they have just by being born in this country.
There is a pecking order told to me by a fellow from Tobago many years ago. African at the top, Caribbean Blacks in the middle, American Blacks at the bottom. He (and this was in 1978) said that marrying a step down was like marrying down caste in India, marrying two steps down could get you disowned.

Not sure if that persists, but I thought it interesting.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 05:42:21 am »
I've had the opportunity to actually work in Nigeria.  When I got back home I told my boss that if that was all he had for me to do I no longer needed the job. 

Never went back to Nigeria again.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 05:51:11 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 05:44:09 am »
Really interesting. I would have guessed People from India.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 03:21:04 pm »
I've had the opportunity to actually work in Nigeria.  When I got back home I told my boss that if that was all he had for me to do I no longer needed the job. 

Never went back to Nigeria again.

Much as those of our ancestors who left Europe and other places, they were not the same as the people who stayed behind.  They all left for a reason.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 03:26:37 pm »
Much as those of our ancestors who left Europe and other places, they were not the same as the people who stayed behind.  They all left for a reason.

:amen:  several in fact!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 03:27:16 pm »
A Nigerian Prince wanted to give me money one time.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 03:44:00 pm »

LOL!  You and everyone else who's email address he could find!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 02:55:35 am »

:silly:  I don't want to know.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.