Author Topic: What if Star Wars never happened?  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
What if Star Wars never happened?
« on: June 09, 2018, 10:49:01 pm »
Kevin Lincoln
Polygon
June 7, 2018

Imagining a world where George Lucas’ space fantasy didn’t revolutionize Hollywood

Despite the decades that have passed since its release, it would be hard to argue that any film is as relevant to the way movies are made today than George Lucas’ 1977 space opera, Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope...

What would the last four decades look like if George Lucas had never made Star Wars at all?

Here’s one possibility...

Read the whole thing.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: What if Star Wars never happened?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 11:24:14 pm »
That's a fun game of time travel hypotheticals we will never know.  Some of those suppositions are grossly absurd - but hey - that's what you get when playing Dr. Who.

I think Solo tanked because it was only 5 months after the release of The Last Jedi - a film that polarized the fan base and did not really do much to grab new fans younger than 8 - and right on the heels of Infinity War (which has made more than 2 Billion since April 27th) and one week after Deadpool 2 came out.  I think audiences were tapped out in terms of the amount of money they were willing to spend at the movies in such a short timeframe.

Solo I thought was a great, fun, lighthearted and solid adventure in-the-spirit of the original movies.  Of course no one was demanding an original story for Han Solo, and it came about only because of the success of Rogue One and because Lawrence Kasdan (Screenplay author of the Empire Strikes Back and Jedi wanted to write it.) Star Wars fatigue is setting in, and that is because Disney treats it as nothing more than a cash cow that they want to milk as often as possible.

Star Wars was successful after long periods of quiet between generations and the hunger for something new growing as parents raised their kids on the originals.  Disney needs to let the franchise rest - but they have no intentions of doing so. 
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 11:28:53 pm »
That's a fun game of time travel hypotheticals we will never know.  Some of those suppositions are grossly absurd - but hey - that's what you get when playing Dr. Who.

I think Solo tanked because it was only 5 months after the release of The Last Jedi - a film that polarized the fan base and did not really do much to grab new fans younger than 8 - and right on the heels of Infinity War (which has made more than 2 Billion since April 27th) and one week after Deadpool 2 came out.  I think audiences were tapped out in terms of the amount of money they were willing to spend at the movies in such a short timeframe.

Solo I thought was a great, fun, lighthearted and solid adventure in-the-spirit of the original movies.  Of course no one was demanding an original story for Han Solo, and it came about only because of the success of Rogue One and because Lawrence Kasdan (Screenplay author of the Empire Strikes Back and Jedi wanted to write it.) Star Wars fatigue is setting in, and that is because Disney treats it as nothing more than a cash cow that they want to milk as often as possible.

Star Wars was successful after long periods of quiet between generations and the hunger for something new growing as parents raised their kids on the originals.  Disney needs to let the franchise rest - but they have no intentions of doing so.

I doubt they can afford to after what they paid Lucas.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 11:40:34 pm »

:thumbsup:

Online dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 11:43:53 pm »
We never would have gotten stuck with this:

Star Wars Holiday Special

! No longer available

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:44:46 pm by dfwgator »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 11:46:04 pm »
I doubt they can afford to after what they paid Lucas.

Disney already made back the 4 Billion dollars they paid for Lucasfilm and then some.  The Force Awakens, Rogue One and The Last Jedi made well over 4 billion.

Disney thinks they can do to Star Wars what they did for Marvel.  But , it's not going to work that way because there are not dozens and dozens of already established characters in comics that no one has seen on the big screen.  But milk it as a cash cow, is what Disney intends to do.  Which means the quality of these films are going to likely going down as they rush one movie after another after another to glut the market in toys, merchandize and movie grosses.   

I think Solo is proving that their marketing strategy is a bust.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 11:47:02 pm »
I’m a Trekkie.

Ping @Hopalong Ginsberg

Trek ping!!!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 11:47:19 pm »

Okay, that's SACRILEGE.  We only mention the Boba Fett cartoon from that.  We DO NOT mention Star Wars, Bea Arthur and Harvey Korman in the same sentence ... EVER!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 11:56:07 pm »
I’m a Trekkie.

Ping @Hopalong Ginsberg

Trek ping!!!

Didja haftoo?

I mean... we Star Wars junkies don't go crash Trek threads and fling Huttese and lightsabers in your faces just to troll the thread.

A little decorum please. 

After all, unlike you guys, we do not believe Star Wars is reality.   

We Star Wars nuts do not take our space fantasy beyond cosplay.  And we do cosplay better than anyone!

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 12:05:57 am »
Disney already made back the 4 Billion dollars they paid for Lucasfilm and then some.  The Force Awakens, Rogue One and The Last Jedi made well over 4 billion.

GROSSED well over $4B.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 12:11:44 am »
GROSSED well over $4B.

The money they got from licensing covered all the production expenses of those three movies with several million to spare.

They got their investment back what they paid. 

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 12:12:02 am »
Back when Star Wars was cool, girls still had cooties and Suzanne Somers was still on Three's Company.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 12:18:51 am »
I've still never seen a Star Wars movie (nor a Star Trek movie, for that matter). Somehow, I've survived.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 12:31:07 am »
I've still never seen a Star Wars movie (nor a Star Trek movie, for that matter). Somehow, I've survived.  :pondering:

Yes, but less awestruck and inspired in life by industrial light and magic.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 12:32:40 am »
Back when Star Wars was cool, girls still had cooties and Suzanne Somers was still on Three's Company.

I don't think so....
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 12:52:46 am »
Yes, but less awestruck and inspired in life by industrial light and magic.
Meh.
;)
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online dfwgator

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 12:55:16 am »
The money they got from licensing covered all the production expenses of those three movies with several million to spare.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 01:25:41 am »

! No longer available

You're going to trigger @Cyber Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 01:48:29 am »
The special effects would have us still looking for the string.....

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 01:51:55 am »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 01:56:06 am »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2018, 02:27:18 am »

They got back what they put into making the three movies, and then some.  But that still leaves them a couple billion short of breaking even on the purchase price of the franchise.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2018, 03:35:13 am »
Gee whiz folks, here's a possibility if SWs was never made. Maybe Hollywood doesn't become Hollyweird and actually started producing decent movies after the eighties instead of the unmitigated garbage current spewed forth from the Masters of Muck.
But in reality, if SWs was a hit or not, we'd still be seeing garbage.
The writer, who sounds like a typical liberal SJW, assumes that movies now are just great instead of being what they are, stinkingly terrible on average.
Plus, he makes the mistake of thinking if A didn't happen, then B wouldn't happen.
It's like the people who think if Jackie Robinson hadn't broken the color barrier in ML baseball in 1947, there'd still be no blacks in the majors.
Or if the south had won the Civil War, we'd still have slavery there.
If talking movies hadn't been successful in 1927, we'd still have silent flicks.
You get my point.
If Lucas's SWs films hadn't been successful, most likely we'd still be seeing the junk currently on display in movie theaters.
Lucas didn't make SWs in a void. He was/is a product of current technology. If he didn't do what he did with modern tech/methods, somebody else would have.
The writer's theory is bunk.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2018, 04:53:29 am »
Gee whiz folks, here's a possibility if SWs was never made. Maybe Hollywood doesn't become Hollyweird and actually started producing decent movies after the eighties instead of the unmitigated garbage current spewed forth from the Masters of Muck.
But in reality, if SWs was a hit or not, we'd still be seeing garbage.
The writer, who sounds like a typical liberal SJW, assumes that movies now are just great instead of being what they are, stinkingly terrible on average.
Plus, he makes the mistake of thinking if A didn't happen, then B wouldn't happen.
It's like the people who think if Jackie Robinson hadn't broken the color barrier in ML baseball in 1947, there'd still be no blacks in the majors.
Or if the south had won the Civil War, we'd still have slavery there.
If talking movies hadn't been successful in 1927, we'd still have silent flicks.
You get my point.
If Lucas's SWs films hadn't been successful, most likely we'd still be seeing the junk currently on display in movie theaters.
Lucas didn't make SWs in a void. He was/is a product of current technology. If he didn't do what he did with modern tech/methods, somebody else would have.
The writer's theory is bunk.
Hollywierd would still be putting out dreck by the mile.

Hollywierd started putting out blatant "message" movies in the 80s, (well, the '70s, too), and maybe they thought the rest of the world was on board with their uberLieberal fantasy world that we'd suspend disbelief long enough to buy the social messaging, but that just left little enough to watch. Beyond shoot-em-ups of one variety or another, be it set in the dusty fantasy world of the "Wild West", or in a galaxy far, far, away, the movies which remained the most palatable and even, on occasion, enjoyable were those which had a clear moral conflict, be it resisting the 'bad guy' or the evil empire, possibly all a metaphor for the Communist bloc, and often incorporating into the evil ones the simple totalitarian means utilized by other totalitarians, if on a galactic basis, or the evils of individuals or small groups perpetrated upon others. At least the "Anti-heroes' were fighting for something which was morally understandable.

Less watchable flicks either did that job badly, or took off into the social justice space, a wasteland in which moral values are judged by who has them and the group they identify with, rather than the immutable principles of right vs wrong.

Movies have ever manipulated the emotions of their audience, such is the power of a well crafted story, a character you can identify with, a quest or grievance you can embrace, all skillfully displayed on the big screen with plot twists which reach in and pluck the heartstrings or stimulate the adrenaline rush.  This is truly the stuff that dreams--and nightmares--are made of; the escape from everyday life we seek when we plunk down the hard earned money for a ticket, buy some overpriced popcorn, and maybe a drink that would cause riots if gas was priced similarly by the gallon at a gas pump. 

I saw Buck Rogers in the 25th Century the same year Star Wars came out, before I saw Star Wars, and noted the special effects were indeed 'special', but not in a good way. Later that year I settled into a small town theater seat and watched the first Star Wars movie. Wow.
Okay, spaceships were maneuvering like fighter planes in the absence of atmosphere, which made no sense, but I suspended disbelief in awe of the quality of the effects otherwise. Not until The Expanse did I see a space battle that, well, made sense to my poor physics laced brain, but that aside, the difference was as striking at the difference between laughing at the string holding up the rocket to seeing the gunfight scenes in Peckinpah's Billy the Kid .  Finally, something which required relatively little suspension of disbelief had come to the Sci-fi screen, perhaps saving that suspension for other elements of the plot.

The end result was that instead of sending messages (Unilateral Nuclear Disarmament or the aliens will destroy your planet and you, too), the elements of a good (and ongoing) story were present, the theme of good versus evil, no matter what your polarity (maybe someone was really rooting for the dark lords and Darth Vader), and the idea that if the evil empire is prevailing, you can do something about it all appealed to me, and held that that which was universally good remained as such, across the boundaries of civilizations, species, and the vast gulf of space.

With a show like that, you tended to forget how expensive the pop and popcorn were and just enjoy.

Sadly, Disney will likely do what Disney does. Initial efforts may well be nearly on par with the old crew, but with time, the accountants will step in, and corners will be cut. Look at the relative quality of the animation from Snow White to Beauty and the Beast, and you see the slide that even among relatively classical tales have suffered in the name of filling the pockets of the rat. If Disney doesn't manage to wreck the franchise with the latest in social justice undertones, it may yet survive.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2018, 01:33:17 pm »
I not only don't like modern animation, I don't like Pixar either. In fact, I detest Pixar.
I have no huge dislike for SWs or the sequels. I just couldn't get into it. However, I was a huge original Star Trek fan, so I have no inherent dislike for that genre/type of movie.
Modern westerns are a chore to get through. I've seen a number of remakes, like "3:10 to Yuma", and they stink.
I don't know if you could consider the original "Westworld" a western or just a science-fiction flick, but I liked it.  I rooted for Richard Benjamin's character to kill the Yul Brynner gunslinger-robot.
I like moves where there are good people and bad people. I do get the idea that not everything is either good or bad..the shades of gray thing.
But modern moviemakers just can't help themselves injecting their politics or sexual biases into their movies.
The wife and I tried to watch the new "Westworld" on HBO, but it is so irritating, I couldn't stand it midway through the first episode.  It is actually boring as h*ll even with all the fake blood and gore.
Once again Hollyweird takes something that worked and wrecks it.