Author Topic: The Army Wants New Tracked Vehicles That Will Run In Deep Snow At 50 Below  (Read 601 times)

rangerrebew

The Army Wants New Tracked Vehicles That Will Run In Deep Snow At 50 Below
As the prospect for conflict in the Arctic increases, the service is moving to replace its obscure fleet of aging Swedish-built vehicles.
By Joseph Trevithick June 7, 2018

For the first time in more than three decades, the U.S. Army is looking to buy a purpose-built cold-weather vehicle. The requirement comes as the U.S. military as a whole is looking to increase its capability to operate in and around the immensely strategic Arctic region in response to similar developments by potential opponents, such as Russia.

On June 5, 2018, the Army issued a formal request for information for a high-mobility tracked vehicle family that it is calling the Joint All Weather All Terrain Support Vehicle, or JAASV. Though they do not refer to any existing vehicles already in service, the requirements make it all but certain that this is a replacement for the aging Swedish-made Small Unit Support Vehicle (SUSV), which the service first bought in the early 1980s.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/21392/the-army-wants-new-tracked-vehicles-that-will-run-in-deep-snow-at-50-below

Offline Blizzardnh

I'll have to keep an eye on the Alternate Realities thread for the coming war in Antarctica .

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I'll have to keep an eye on the Alternate Realities thread for the coming war in Antarctica .

They really are serious about this climate change stuff. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I think penguins with laser beams on their heads would be more practical.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Why reinvent the wheel?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

It may be bigger, but I think I would still trust the Weasel more. I used to watch that show and the Chariot never struck me as very rugged, more like the Yugo of tracked vehicles.
Seems to me there are lots of successful platforms ready to adapt.Especially the fuzzy ones.

https://www.google.com/search?q=snow+cat&rlz=1C1CHWL_enUS742US743&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=HxEeKvgpLi3WPM%253A%252CL77jaDKdmJ1n1M%252C_&usg=__L_q0AgSJOaAUTTKOGlZMEidg5vk%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhsZrLt8XbAhVSGDQIHbbCA4wQ9QEIPTAJ#imgrc=_