Author Topic: Massive Mars discovery: Organic molecules 'fundamental to our search for life' found by NASA rover  (Read 951 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/06/07/what-has-nasa-found-on-mars-get-set-for-major-announcement.html

NASA’s Curiosity Mars rover has found organic molecules on Mars, the space agency revealed in a major announcement Thursday.

During a press conference at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Goddard, Md., and NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., scientists noted that the molecules provide fresh insight into the Red Planet.

“We found organic molecules in rocks from an ancient lake bed,” explained Jen Eigenbrode, research scientist at Goddard. A variety of molecules were identified, she added.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Organic matter found on mars but people would rather fight about what Trump said.

ugh
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline aligncare

I have no doubt that we would eventually find organic molecules on mars because I have a strong belief that life exist throughout the universe. Discovering how advanced (where on the evolutionary timeline) a planet’s particular organic flora and fauna is will be the exciting part of planetary exploration.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 09:00:46 pm by aligncare »

Offline endicom

Organic matter found on mars but people would rather fight about what Trump said.

ugh

Trump said he rescued billions of organic molecules.

I'm glad that a rover rescued these as it does show the possibility of life out there, somewhere.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
aligncare wrote:
"I have no doubt that we would eventually find organic molecules on mars because I have a strong belief that life exist throughout the universe."

All you have to do is to pick up a copy of Ray Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles"...  ;)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
A technician left a booger on the rover's platform....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
A technician left a booger on the rover's platform....
LOL! (My first reaction was "Who sneezed on it, and why did it take so long to dislodge?")
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline NavyCanDo

Organic Molecules, that's IT?  No proof life existed in any form on Mars, much less the green-skin Orion Slave Girls I was praying for. Oh well, Mrs NavyCanDo wouldn't let me keep one anyway. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Smokin Joe

Organic Molecules, that's IT?  No proof life existed in any form on Mars, much less the green-skin Orion Slave Girls I was praying for. Oh well, Mrs NavyCanDo wouldn't let me keep one anyway.
Without more information (what organic molecules, more precisely), it is hard to know what, if any significance to give this find. That said, do any of the rocks involved date back to major impacts on Earth? We have found Martian rock here on Earth, why not a few bits of Earth getting splashed into space, slingshotting around the sun and ending up on Mars?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

Without more information (what organic molecules, more precisely), it is hard to know what, if any significance to give this find. That said, do any of the rocks involved date back to major impacts on Earth? We have found Martian rock here on Earth, why not a few bits of Earth getting splashed into space, slingshotting around the sun and ending up on Mars?
@Smokin Joe

Here's the paper, available for free:

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6393/1096.full
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

C S Lewis