Author Topic: North Korea reportedly wants a McDonald’s. That could be a pretty big deal.  (Read 834 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

North Korea reportedly wants a McDonald’s. That could be a pretty big deal.
by Caitlin Dewey June 2

It is little more than a footnote in the back-and-forth over the planned North Korea summit — but the rumor of a McDonald’s in Pyongyang is juicier than a three-patty Big Mac.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un may allow a “Western hamburger franchise” into the country as a show of goodwill to the United States, according to an intelligence report described by U.S. officials to NBC. That follows remarks by South Korean adviser Chung-in Moon in late April, who said that North Korea might be interested in welcoming a McDonald’s as tensions ease.

Compared to the threat of nuclear war, of course, a Pyongyang McDonald’s seems like small fries. But experts and history suggest there’s more at play here than one token franchise.

McDonald’s has long been seen as a symbol of Western culture and capitalism — particularly in communist countries. And its expansion into China and Russia was seen as a landmark in the 1990s.

more
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/06/02/north-korea-reportedly-wants-a-mcdonalds-that-could-be-a-pretty-big-deal/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.dab39dcb81ea
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Have they had a big mac?  Good grief go for a red Robin at least
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline dfwgator

Have they had a big mac?  Good grief go for a red Robin at least

I think if they try In-N-Out Burger they'll give us whatever we want.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
No WhatABurger  9999hair out0000
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Four Guys.  :pop41:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

They tried to stage a coup and are all dead. Kim poisoned one with VX and killed the rest with a combination of mortar rounds and anti-aircraft guns.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
The fact is that Lil' Kim will likely only want the McDonald's in his palace compound. 

I doubt he is really wanting to lift the starvation pogroms of the population that have worked so well to secure his place of power.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline edpc

I will gladly denuclearize on Tuesday, for a hamburger today.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Yeah that was what Barry always asked for. Oh, sorry, you all were talking about burger places.

Offline dfwgator