Author Topic: U.S. Asks OPEC for 1 Million Barrel a Day Oil Output Hike  (Read 1088 times)

Offline thackney

U.S. Asks OPEC for 1 Million Barrel a Day Oil Output Hike
« on: June 05, 2018, 01:08:11 pm »
U.S. Asks OPEC for 1 Million Barrel a Day Oil Output Hike
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-05/u-s-said-to-ask-opec-for-1-million-barrel-a-day-oil-output-hike

The U.S. government has quietly asked Saudi Arabia and some other OPEC producers to increase oil production by about 1 million barrels a day, according to people familiar with the matter.

The rare request came after U.S. retail gasoline prices surged to their highest in more than three years and President Donald Trump publicly complained about OPEC policy and rising oil prices on Twitter. It also follows Washington’s decision to reimpose sanctions on Iran’s crude exports that had previously displaced about 1 million barrels a day, or just over 1 percent of global production.

While U.S. lawmakers have habitually criticized the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries at times of high oil prices, and the government has on occasion encouraged the cartel to pump more, it’s unusual for Washington to ask for a specific output hike, the same people said, asking not to be named discussing private conversations. It’s not clear precisely how the request was communicated....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

Re: U.S. Asks OPEC for 1 Million Barrel a Day Oil Output Hike
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 02:29:31 am »
Those who wonder why we cozy up to Saudi Arabia and the other Sunni states might understand better now, as their help is vital in Trump's feud with Iran.

(Obviously, it's far more than that, but this is for those who can't see the bigger picture.)
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 07:34:55 am »
Those who wonder why we cozy up to Saudi Arabia and the other Sunni states might understand better now, as their help is vital in Trump's feud with Iran.

(Obviously, it's far more than that, but this is for those who can't see the bigger picture.)

I rather suspect KSA needs our help with Iran more than we need theirs.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 12:30:28 pm »
I rather suspect KSA needs our help with Iran more than we need theirs.

Agreed.  Though it's mutual.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn