Author Topic: Trump: 'I have the absolute right to pardon myself'  (Read 17748 times)

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Trump: 'I have the absolute right to pardon myself'
« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2018, 09:15:20 pm »
@Mesaclone
@Maj. Bill Martin
@Oceander
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@Emjay
@Sanguine

Welcome to my own TBR BFF list! 

You are actually one of the better posters here, in my opinion.  You slogged through some heavy stuff in a discussion that a lot of other folks can't handle very well.

(I apologize if my polemical retorts were quite a bit crustier than Maj. Bill Martin's.  He is probably the better gentleman most of the time [LOL again.]   I am no lawyer--and I wouldn't care to take up that career--but I do recognize that there are some really good ones in America, even on our little forum.)

I will walk us all through my promised proof of my two-pronged thesis as soon as I get a chance.  I think you will find it pretty interesting as I trace out our Framers' thinking in a bit more  detail.  Maj. Bill has already brought out some of this stuff from Federalist Paper #74, but there is even more to consider apart from Hamilton's words.

After the primaries, I was so pissed at the way Trump conducted himself that I was leaning heavily towards abstaining in the general election, and I said that here.

@Mesaclone didn't hector, berate, or get nasty in any way.  He simply presented arguments, then backed off so that I'd consider them without pressure.  Perhaps I'd have ended up voting for Trump anyway, but the way Mesaclone presented his case to me directly certainly did not hurt.

Good discussion, guys.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:15:53 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline corbe

« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2018, 09:32:47 pm »
   We have quite a few Trumpers here that make valid, reasoned arguments without the vitriol and I am grateful for each of their contributions to TBR.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2018, 11:48:39 pm »
After the primaries, I was so pissed at the way Trump conducted himself that I was leaning heavily towards abstaining in the general election, and I said that here.

@Mesaclone didn't hector, berate, or get nasty in any way.  He simply presented arguments, then backed off so that I'd consider them without pressure.  Perhaps I'd have ended up voting for Trump anyway, but the way Mesaclone presented his case to me directly certainly did not hurt.

Good discussion, guys.

You give me way too much credit but thank you for saying it. I think once emotions cool after a primary...even an over the top and harsh one...we all find the space to reach a conclusion that most advances the things we believe in most.

We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline corbe

« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2018, 02:46:45 am »
   @pookie18 brought me here years ago but it was the intelligent, insightful, snarky Briefers that entombed me.
   It lives up to the Masthead 'A Conservative Hub'.

:beer:

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2018, 09:32:33 pm »
@Mesaclone
@Maj. Bill Martin
@Oceander
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@Emjay
@Sanguine

Yes, I look forward to it too, @the_doc.
As promised earlier, I will lay out in the following two or three posts my argument that a POTUS can never pardon himself for anything whatsoever and also that a sitting President can never be indicted in a criminal proceeding.  (Both of these tenets are currently a matter of the policy of the U.S. DOJ, by the way, although the separate policies involving each of these were documented on separate occasions.) 

My humble analysis is below.

FIRST, I INTEND TO TACKLE THE THEORY OF SELF-PARDONING:

Natural law argument against self-pardoningA person accused of a crime can never serve as his own judge.

This should be regarded as axiomatic in law, since justice would ordinarily if not always be thwarted if the accused person in a given case and the judge in that case are the same person:  an accused person could simply void even pretty serious charges.   The very idea of self-pardon is therefore completely perverse.

Perhaps someone might point out that if a sitting POTUS were to be indicted, then a self-pardon at that point would still leave him exposed to impeachment.  (Remember:  The Constitution’s Impeachment Clause explicitly declares that Presidential pardons cannot be used to vacate impeachments.)  But a self-pardon under a criminal indictment would forever block the criminal penalties, including a prison sentence or perhaps even a death penalty.  Getting subsequently impeached by the House and then removed from office by the Senate would accomplish nothing in the way of retributive justice.

(See Oceander’s post # 52.) 

This ugly breach of justice, endorsed by the Trump team, is a legal absurdity in any nation that cares about real justice.  In other words, if we choose to ignore the legal axiom that a person accused of a crime can never serve as his own judge, then we immediately run into a rigorous and crushing reductio ad absurdum argument affirming the axiom, i.e., reaffirming what is already patently obvious. 

When the Mueller team read the stated position of Trump’s lawyers, the Mueller lawyers immediately realized that Trump’s claim of a “right to self-pardon” is completely indefensible and that it would be unacceptable to the public as a whole—including many Trump supporters (e.g., more than a few on TBR). This is why the Mueller team leaked the Trump team’s legal claim to the press.  Mueller obviously knew that the revelation would inflame the public against a POTUS who happens to be widely regarded as an extreme narcissist and who had even joked in the 2016 campaign that he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and he would still be popular.  (The inflammatory situation was made somewhat worse, I believe, when Giuliani presented a related legal theory involving, of all things, a hypothetical scenario of Trump shooting James Comey.)

As much as we might dislike James Acosta, his insinuation that our POTUS thinks that he is above the law has frightfully real merit.

Bottom-line point:  When Senator Schumer got word that Trump was asserting a theory of a “self-pardon defense,” he immediately presented the axiom that a person accused of a crime can never serve as his own judge.  This is not a lame argument—no matter how much we might distrust Schumer and no matter what Mark Levin insinuates by his own obfuscating word games.  Schumer’s argument is completely cogent.  It is the very argument presented succinctly in the DOJ memo to President Nixon in 1974.

Jonathan Turley, a reportedly liberal but respected Constitutional scholar, has said that the Trump team does not stand a chance in court with their self-pardon argument.  I submit that Turley is obviously correct.  I submit that President Trump needs to tweet out a statement that he has fired the lawyer(s) who talked him into a legalistic position that he is no longer willing to assert.  (I hope the firings do not include Giuliani, but if they do, then he doesn’t clearly belong on the Trump defense team anyway.  As you will see in my next post, the “self-pardon defense” is a disaster in every way.  It would not merely fail, but would backfire against President Trump.)

I trust that everyone on TBR can see that none of this analysis is really difficult, even if it unsettling for some Trumpers and some fans of Mark Levin to realize that the legal theory of Trump’s legal team is dangerously wrong.  Trump and his lawyers are playing a nasty little word game that I would call “Looking for Loopholes.”

This approach is how we have gotten some really bad SCOTUS decisions—such as the infamous Eminent Domain case a few years ago.  Well, there are legitimate loopholes that may be discovered in many legal documents, but they are never legitimate if they are demonstrably at odds with the Framers’ original intent.  Originalism is always necessary for proper Constitutional interpretation.  Anti-Originalists lawyers are completely willing to shred the Constitution in order to win a case.  Well, as far as I am concerned, they can pat themselves on the back and go straight to hell.

Having shown that the self-pardon defense would have been regarded as abhorrent to the Framers, I will use my next post to show how the very word “pardon” destroys Trump’s argument.  And you will see that this approach is not just a silly lawyer’s word game.  It goes to the true meaning of the often very strange thing that is language.  My study of the meaning of “pardon” is yet another way of understanding the Framers’ intent in the Pardon Clause. 

More to come as soon as I have a little more time.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2018, 01:27:45 am »
It is important to consider the systemic balances that our Founding Fathers instilled into the very foundation of our government at all levels.  For the President, one of his greatest protections of office is that he cannot be charged with a crime.  That alone should lay to rest any inkling that a President can pardon himself.  If he cannot be charged, then there is nothing to pardon.

For the President to be charged, it would require a majority of the House and two-thirds of the Senate to first remove him/her from office, which is an extremely high hurdle.  If our Founding Fathers were to endow our President with the power to self-pardon, then such a hurdle would be meaningless.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2018, 05:47:52 pm »
We must be careful here to not conflate two issues...the criminality of a presidential action must be viewed entirely apart from the prospect of impeachment, which is a political act. No one here has argued that a pardon impedes an impeachment process. More importantly, while I agree a President cannot pardon himself from a criminal prosecution, it is imperative that his successor do so with the exception of a crime of violence (murder, assault, rape, etcetera). The Constitution is designed to provide "criminal" immunity to the Chief Executive, while allowing for the removal of a "criminal or unjust" leader through a structured political process...this is done with good reason, and taken directly from the lessons of the Roman Republic and its ignominious end which arose, in great part, from the criminalization of Consular actions.

Jim Acosta's assertion that the president considers himself above the law is not frightening at all...in a real sense the President IS above the law. He is NOT, however, above removal through the Constitution's designed political mechansims. So, rather than frightening, it should be comforting that the President is above the law IN THE SENSE that he cannot be prosecuted criminally while in office...were he not so, each Executive would face a continuous threat of endless prosecution from any Judiciary officers who opposed him, were unethical, or who had no respect for the balance of powers set forth in our founding document. So, as usual, Jim Acosta is flat out wrong.

Further, while the Trump legal team's position may be in error it certainly does not reflect a "breach of justice" as you state, rather, it is a position that fails to account for...as you say...natural law, under which no man may serve as his own judge under the law.

All of this said, Trump's lawyers are not playing a "nasty little game", what they are actually doing is playing politics...OK, I guess that is a nasty game but both sides play it...Schumer, the DNC and their ilk being the prime example of "nasty" little political players. I'd argue that the legal team knows Trump will never issue a self pardon...on the contrary, it appears he has no reason to do so as there is simply no evidence he's committed any crime...but making they argument that he CAN do so is simply posturing to send the signal that they will not be railroaded by the grotesquely biased Mueller team nor will they go quietly into the goodnight that the Left so desperately is seeking to manufacture from the ether.

Put simply, its become crystal clear that the President has done nothing worthy of impeachment or criminal prosecution...and his team is fighting back in a political way against what is little more than a political and unethical hit job from the Left. I may not approve of Rudy's tactics, but they are understandable in light of the lynch mob approach they face from the Dems.

@Maj. Bill Martin
@Oceander
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@Emjay
@Sanguine

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:24:35 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2018, 08:43:41 pm »
Amen to what you said, @Mesaclone

I just saw a poster on the Manafort thread claim that Trump is guilty of crimes, which is ridiculous.  Trump has so many mortal enemies that if he so much as jay-walked we would know about it.

All he is guilty of is being a person they cannot stand.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2018, 01:52:53 am »
Amen to what you said, @Mesaclone

I just saw a poster on the Manafort thread claim that Trump is guilty of crimes, which is ridiculous.  Trump has so many mortal enemies that if he so much as jay-walked we would know about it.

All he is guilty of is being a person they cannot stand.

And cannibalism.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2018, 05:53:20 am »
And cannibalism.

Well...its true that there's more evidence he's a cannibal, than there is for collusion. So you've got a point.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #160 on: June 17, 2018, 07:06:07 pm »
We must be careful here to not conflate two issues...the criminality of a presidential action must be viewed entirely apart from the prospect of impeachment, which is a political act. No one here has argued that a pardon impedes an impeachment process. More importantly, while I agree a President cannot pardon himself from a criminal prosecution, it is imperative that his successor do so with the exception of a crime of violence (murder, assault, rape, etcetera). The Constitution is designed to provide "criminal" immunity to the Chief Executive, while allowing for the removal of a "criminal or unjust" leader through a structured political process...this is done with good reason, and taken directly from the lessons of the Roman Republic and its ignominious end which arose, in great part, from the criminalization of Consular actions.

Jim Acosta's assertion that the president considers himself above the law is not frightening at all...in a real sense the President IS above the law. He is NOT, however, above removal through the Constitution's designed political mechansims. So, rather than frightening, it should be comforting that the President is above the law IN THE SENSE that he cannot be prosecuted criminally while in office...were he not so, each Executive would face a continuous threat of endless prosecution from any Judiciary officers who opposed him, were unethical, or who had no respect for the balance of powers set forth in our founding document. So, as usual, Jim Acosta is flat out wrong.

Further, while the Trump legal team's position may be in error it certainly does not reflect a "breach of justice" as you state, rather, it is a position that fails to account for...as you say...natural law, under which no man may serve as his own judge under the law.

All of this said, Trump's lawyers are not playing a "nasty little game", what they are actually doing is playing politics...OK, I guess that is a nasty game but both sides play it...Schumer, the DNC and their ilk being the prime example of "nasty" little political players. I'd argue that the legal team knows Trump will never issue a self pardon...on the contrary, it appears he has no reason to do so as there is simply no evidence he's committed any crime...but making they argument that he CAN do so is simply posturing to send the signal that they will not be railroaded by the grotesquely biased Mueller team nor will they go quietly into the goodnight that the Left so desperately is seeking to manufacture from the ether.

Put simply, its become crystal clear that the President has done nothing worthy of impeachment or criminal prosecution...and his team is fighting back in a political way against what is little more than a political and unethical hit job from the Left. I may not approve of Rudy's tactics, but they are understandable in light of the lynch mob approach they face from the Dems.

@Maj. Bill Martin
@Oceander
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@Emjay
@Sanguine

Agree completely -- well said.

While "me-tooism" isn't an excuse for truly bad conduct, it is a very valid excuse in politics.  Fair politics in a representative democracy requires as level a playing field as possible.  If not, then the side whose sins get overlooked -- and the views/values advanced by that side -- will be much more likely to win.  So given that democrats are using unethical methods to try to kneecap a duly-elected President, I have zero qualms about his side making sleazy legal arguments to try to defeat those efforts.

Offline bilo

« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2018, 11:17:13 pm »
Agree completely -- well said.

While "me-tooism" isn't an excuse for truly bad conduct, it is a very valid excuse in politics.  Fair politics in a representative democracy requires as level a playing field as possible.  If not, then the side whose sins get overlooked -- and the views/values advanced by that side -- will be much more likely to win.  So given that democrats are using unethical methods to try to kneecap a duly-elected President, I have zero qualms about his side making sleazy legal arguments to try to defeat those efforts.

This is what makes Trump so unique. I don't recall any other Pub POTUS who gives it back even better than the lowlifes who sling the mud in the first place. Regan responded with humor, but I don't recall him attaching denigrating nicknames to his detractors. We finally have someone whose defense is to be on the offense and it is refreshing. It's nice having someone outside the faculty lounge as POTUS.

I believe the more insane the leftists become in attacking Trump, his wife, and his children the more his support will grow. I'm sure the leftists will become worse just because Trump has the temerity to fight back.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline the_doc

« Reply #162 on: June 19, 2018, 08:31:25 pm »

I won't quibble with you about the above paragraph.

I will respectfully quibble with that second paragraph.  (See below.)

I specifically question your statement that there is at least “a sense” in which the President is above the law.  I think that a better way to describe the President’s situation is to say nothing more than the fact that the prosecution of a sitting President has to follow a special protocol, one surely intended for the peace and safety of the United States—and certainly not intending to proscribe criminal justice for a sitting POTUS (which proscription would amount to a breach of justice).

As you realize, the Constitution merely adds an extra (first) step in meting out justice to a rogue POTUS.  That extra step definitely is a matter of law--the Law that is the Constitution itself.  Trump is completely under that law.

Someone might say Well, although our POTUS is certainly and completely under the Law that is the Constitution, a sitting POTUS is not under the criminal law that applies to everyone else—inasmuch as a sitting POTUS cannot be criminally prosecuted.  In that narrow but real sense, he is positioned above the criminal laws that apply to everyone else.

Okay--but not okay.  The important fact is that a POTUS can be ultimately prosecuted for a crime—as anyone else could be prosecuted.  As practically everyone on this thread has already said, the Constitution necessarily protects the nation by protecting the noble Office of POTUS against criminal prosecution, not protecting the person in that Office.  To appreciate the distinction I am making, I would point out the impeachment protocol specified in the Constitution is a pretty quick procedural step that can get a POTUS thrown out of his Office and shortly thereafter thrown into jail.  So, I would say that the “narrow but real sense“ in which the person of the President is above “criminal law” is a spurious “sense” after all.

I realize that I am discussing semantics, but semantics are important.  For example, if Trump were to tweet out a statement that there is a “narrow but real sense” in which a POTUS is above the law, he would get burned at the stake for his semantics—fanning the flames of the furor over his dopey defense of self-pardoning.  It’s safer for him to avoid any proclamation that he is above the law in any sense whatsoever.

The safest course of all would be for Trump to recant his dopey self-pardon defense and then shut up.

President Trump has another problem worth discussing along these lines.  In view of the confusion inherent in this very odd topic, I think we ought to pose (privately) the following  questions:  1) Does President Trump believe that he is under the law flowing down from the Constitution?  I would certainly hope so.  2) Would he even say that he is under that law?  I assume that he would always say that he is.

So far, so good.

Unfortunately, Trump has unwittingly contradicted any professed submission to ”the law” in a roundabout way that Jim Acosta and millions of other folks quickly and (I believe) correctly sensed (see below):

Long before the infamous press conference (one handled as well as possible by our heroine Sarah Sanders), Trump’s legal team, speaking for Trump, had already declared openly that a sitting President cannot be indicted for a crime.  Please correct me if I am wrong, but I got the impression (from reading the reportage about the press conference) that the really big uproar in the presser happened when Acosta zoomed in on the Trump team’s more recently leaked threat to the effect that Trump would simply pardon himself out of any indictment.

I certainly don’t fault Trump’s lawyers for saying that a sitting POTUS cannot be indicted.  If Acosta objected to that, so what?  But it did seem to me, based on the snippets that I saw from the presser, that Acosta was righteously indignant about the President’s specific claim that he could pardon himself.

(The day after the press conference, by the way, all the news was about the President claiming that he could pardon himself.  I saw nothing about any Constitutional argument that a sitting POTUS cannot be indicted in the first place.  The next thing I read was Trump’s tweet that he has an absolute right to pardon himself.)

I flatly submit that the arrogation of a prerogative of a self-pardon—and the presentation of that claim to the enemy team—was a major blunder by Trump and his team.  No matter what Trump and his lawyers would like to believe (perhaps), Trump’s legal claim is a ridiculously false claim that gives the appearance of pretty incredible hubris on the part of a President of the United States.  The fact that Trump personally doubled down on Twitter made the whole mess even worse.  Trump might very well wind up digging himself into deeper political trouble, perhaps under pressure from a cadre of badgering reporters, by publicly characterizing the self-pardon “loophole” as establishing a ”narrow but very real sense” in which the POTUS certainly is above the law.

Again, the Constitution obviously does not permit self-pardoning.  The whole idea of pardoning oneself is patently absurd.  (See my forthcoming post about this.) 

No one has to be a Constitutional scholar to realize any of this.  One only needs to be humbly sincere—which characteristics of humility and sincerity are widely regarded as seriously lacking in our current “a__hole President” (a term of affection used by one ardent Trumper I met).  Whether or not Trump has the ability to face his own self-deception, his claim of a Constitutional prerogative of self-pardoning nets out as yet another political blunder.  He has created (or perhaps enhanced) a pretty sleazy image for himself—this time involving an ostensibly self-serving attempt to upend the Constitution that he has sworn to uphold.  (Our President should have thought longer and harder about the self-pardon theory.  He seems to make far too many snap judgments and far too many ill-advised retorts to his adversaries.  And I’m not impressed by anyone on his legal team—especially not Giuliani.  [My reasons for loathing Giuliani have to do with his own slipshod interpretation of the Constitution in other very important Constitutional matters.)

So, yeah, Jim Acosta’s insinuations about our POTUS are not without merit, whether Trump realizes it or not and whether TBR’s Trumpers realize it or not.   I am appalled that a shill like Acosta has taken the moral high ground away from Trump (who happens to be doing a very good job overall in the White House).  The worst thing about the infamous exchange between Sarah Sanders and Jim Acosta is the fact that Trump’s awful interpretation of the Constitution fuels the MSM’s never-ending narrative that our current POTUS is a lying narcissist and a power-mad monster.

We can bet that this matter is not going away unless and until Trump recants his position concerning “self-pardons.”  Even if he does so, it is political toothpaste that will be hard to put back into the tube.

Next, I would point out that I never said that the Trump team has perpetrated a breach of justice.  Rather, I said that self-pardoning by a sitting President, if allowed, could precipitate a breach of justice.

The sort of breach to which I was referring ain’t gonna happen, of course, because the self-pardon would never be allowed anyway.  But that’s not good news. (See below.)

Here’s a possible scenario:  Mueller presses forward to indict Trump for Mueller’s favorite crime of obstruction of justice. Next, if a crookedly stupid federal judge were to allow the unconstitutional criminal prosecution of a sitting POTUS, and if Trump were to respond to the indictment by issuing a self-pardon, the judge would almost certainly tear Trump’s head off for daring to try that ploy.  I suspect that the court would allow the prosecutor to say that the very attempt to self-pardon, although not clearly a crime in itself, actually does fit the overall picture (at least) of obstruction of justice.

(Hmmm…a reasonable judge might even declare that the self-pardon attempt is at least an impeachable crime in and of itself—given that it is so obviously disallowed by the Constitution and so obviously contemptuous of the Body Politic.)

The ruling against Trump’s attempted self-pardon could even wind up getting Trump impeached while the improper but court-authorized prosecution went forward.  A big part of the impetus for impeachment, of course, would be, not merely the fact that Trump claimed and tried to exercise a right of self-pardon but also the fact that he is under arrest while still the POTUS.  If Trump were to be impeached/convicted/removed in Congress, it would conceivably lend a kind of bogus legitimacy to the unconstitutional indictment and Trump could wind up in prison.

Even if Trump winds up only being removed from the Presidency. Mueller and his Deep State cronies would be perfectly content with that outcome.  I’ll even bet that Mueller is right now salivating at the prospect of indicting Trump even if doing so would be flagrantly outside the guidelines of the DOJ.  (Mueller is a highly motivated rogue prosecutor bent on taking Trump down in any way possible.  Mueller cares nothing about DOJ policy—even if that means getting his hands slapped occasionally.  [Getting his hands slapped would be better than going to jail for the corruption and conspiracy charges that will eventually be leveled against him by President Trump.])

Finally, let me say that I agree with Maj. Bill White that we shouldn’t be squeamish about defense lawyers using sleazy arguments to fight back against sleazy prosecutors  What I have been trying to say in this post, however, is that  the sleazy self-pardon defense is so bad as to be politically and perhaps even legally counterproductive.  It's too dangerous to whisper to an enemy leaker, much less to assert boldly in a tweet.

I respectfully submit that your summary paragraph puts things too simply, for the reasons I have given in this post. My summary is as follows:

A self-pardon, if attempted, would be struck down by a federal judge in a New York minute.  The claim of a prerogative of self-pardon would be thereby exposed as nothing by sleaze.  Worst still, and more realistically, even claiming in advance a prerogative of self-pardon could wind up serving as both the trigger for an illegal indictment and the subsequent trigger for impeachment. In short, I really do fear that Trump will be railroaded if he keeps up his legally and politically stupid position. 

Why can’t Trumps’ lawyers even visualize this worst-case freight train coming at them?  I suspect it’s because they are so busy fashioning a cool stalemate defense based on silly word game in the Pardon Clause.  My goodness, this is not the time to put forth a repugnant theory of self-pardon, especially when the client is a guy like Trump.

(By the way, I haven’t even mentioned the fall-out that Trump will face when he starts arresting Deep State bad actors and shipping them off to Gitmo and military trials for sedition and treason.  That plan is definitely in the works, and it will freak out America.)

@Maj. Bill Martin
@Oceander
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@Emjay
@Sanguine
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:18:24 pm by the_doc »

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #163 on: June 19, 2018, 09:07:27 pm »
I disagree on several points, however, all I have the energy for in reply...for the moment...is to say:

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders—the most famous of which is, “Never get involved in a land war in Asia”—but only slightly less well-known is this: “Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line”!

Offline the_doc

« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2018, 09:16:24 pm »
I disagree on several points, however, all I have the energy for in reply...for the moment...is to say:

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders—the most famous of which is, “Never get involved in a land war in Asia”—but only slightly less well-known is this: “Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line”!

Wow, that's a good quote, friend!

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2018, 09:47:00 pm »
Wow, that's a good quote, friend!

From one of the greatest movies of all time!

Offline the_doc

« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2018, 10:05:07 pm »

What movie was that? 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2018, 10:10:29 pm »
What movie was that?

The Princess Bride.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #168 on: June 22, 2018, 03:29:36 pm »
Ted Cruz on 'The Princess Bride'

! No longer available
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #169 on: June 22, 2018, 04:16:01 pm »
A self-pardon, if attempted, would be struck down by a federal judge in a New York minute.  The claim of a prerogative of self-pardon would be thereby exposed as nothing by sleaze.  Worst still, and more realistically, even claiming in advance a prerogative of self-pardon could wind up serving as both the trigger for an illegal indictment and the subsequent trigger for impeachment. In short, I really do fear that Trump will be railroaded if he keeps up his legally and politically stupid position.

I disagree.  I don't think a judge would even see the issue as being ripe for adjudication in the first place, as long as the President is still in office and not subject to indictment/criminal prosecution.  The case would be dismissed because there wouldn't exist a criminal case in which the pardon had been raised as a defense.  Courts don't decide "issues" before they become truly relevant.  They only decide cases that are "ripe".

A pardon would be challenged as of the time a prosecutor decided to test it by indicting the President.  The indictment would create a case, which would then be challenged by the President's lawyers as improper due to the pardon.  The judge would then -- and very likely only then - decide whether or not the pardon is valid.

Why that may seem to be a "who cares" argument, the point is that a court ruling that the pardon is invalid wouldn't happen until after Trump already was out of office, and therefore wouldn't be part of the argument for removing him in the first place.

@the_doc
@Mesaclone
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:26:32 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #170 on: June 22, 2018, 04:21:09 pm »

There are so many great scenes in the movie, quite a few of which are quotable even in political debates.  I love the one where Vizzini is going through that incredibly convoluted logic to make his guess as to which cup has the poison.  Then there's "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Great flick.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #171 on: June 22, 2018, 04:22:02 pm »
Well, if they wanted to make it a public relations issue, as Giuliani has said about the Mueller probe, it's a loser, all around.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-norc-poll-americans-no-presidential-self-pardons-120148682--politics.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #172 on: June 22, 2018, 04:28:53 pm »
Well, if they wanted to make it a public relations issue, as Giuliani has said about the Mueller probe, it's a loser, all around.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-norc-poll-americans-no-presidential-self-pardons-120148682--politics.html

I agree -- it's a PR loser.

But the reason the argument was made in the first place wasn't PR.  Giuliani (who needs to shut up anyway) only started talking about it after Mueller's team leaked it to the press, who jumped all over it as something with which to bash Trump over the head.  The argument was advanced as part of a more complicated legal argument to Mueller that he can't compel the President to testify by subpoena, and has no recourse if the President refuses to be interviewed/testify voluntarily.  That would be one of the bargaining chips to be used to set the ground rules for any interview to which Trump does consent, and that's a very important issue.

And honestly, I think that other than on obsessive political message boards like this one, the PR effect of claimed power to self-pardon has kind of dissipated.  I don't think the average citizen really cares any more because it isn't an issue.  But legally, it is still very much a relevant issue given that the issue of Trump testifying is still up in the air.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:32:02 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #173 on: June 22, 2018, 04:34:15 pm »
I agree -- it's a PR loser.

But the reason the argument was made in the first place wasn't PR.  Giuliani (who needs to shut up anyway) only started talking about it after Mueller's team leaked it to the press, who jumped all over it as something with which to bash Trump over the head.  The argument was advanced as part of a more complicated legal argument to Mueller that he can't compel the President to testify by subpoena, and has no recourse if the President refuses to be interviewed/testify voluntarily.  That would be one of the bargaining chips to be used to set the ground rules for any interview to which Trump does consent, and that's a very important issue.

And honestly, I think that other than on obsessive political message boards like this one, the PR effect of claimed power to self-pardon has kind of dissipated.  I don't think the average citizen really cares any more because it isn't an issue.  But legally, it is still very much a relevant issue given that the issue of Trump testifying is still up in the air.

Oddly, though, one of the authors of this letter and the strategy - John Dowd - left the legal team.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2018, 04:36:14 pm »
The ability to self-pardon means a sitting President, on his last day in office (for example), could call his enemies into the Oval Office, gun then all down, then self-pardon (prior to being found guilty of anything just like Ford did when he pardoned Nixon), and face absolutely no consequences for his murderous acts.  It is incomprehensible to me that this was the intent of the Founding Fathers, and I doubt the courts would recognize the "self-pardon".  JMO.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.