Author Topic: Leaked document shows Trump officials planning to force Americans to spend $311m-$11.8b/year to keep  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Suppressed

Leaked document shows Trump officials planning to force Americans to spend $311m-$11.8b/year to keep unprofitable coal and nuclear energy plants from shutting
CORY DOCTOROW / 9:45 AM SAT JUN 2, 2018
https://boingboing.net/2018/06/02/defense-production-act.html

Officials in Trump's Department of Energy prepared a plan to use unprecedented "emergency powers" to force the US grid to rely on expensive, unprofitable coal and nuclear power, rather than paying market rates for cheaper sources of energy: renewables and natural gas.

The plan will cost Americans an additional $311,000,000 - $11,800,000,000/year according to estimates from researchers at Energy Innovation and the Climate Policy Initiative.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RoosGirl

Power from renewables is cheaper?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Power from renewables is cheaper?

Shhh!  It's Boing Boing....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline endicom

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I have not seen this group issue similar researchers' report on why the govt is funding unprofitable renewable power generation.

All the same scenarios on capital costing, opcosts, etc being subsidized for renewables exist, so where is the report?

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington