Author Topic: Trump to impose total ban on luxury German cars: report  (Read 2017 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump to impose total ban on luxury German cars: report
By Morgan Gstalter - 05/31/18 07:26 AM EDT

President Trump wants to impose a total ban on the imports of German luxury cars, according to a new report from CNBC and German magazine WirtschaftsWoche.

Several U.S. and European diplomats told the news outlets that Trump told French President Emmanuel Macron about his plans last month during a state visit.

Trump reportedly told Macron that he would maintain the ban until no Mercedes-Benz cars are seen on Fifth Avenue in New York.

Shares of Daimler, Porsche and Volkswagen were lower on Thursday, shortly after the weekly German business magazine published the report.

The Hill has reached out to the Trump White House for comment.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/390009-trump-to-impose-total-ban-on-luxury-german-cars-report
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Trump to impose total ban on luxury German cars: report
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 12:42:47 pm »
Wow. This better be fake news or he is putting a lot of US people out of work and this is well beyond an over reach of his office. Something this extreme seems personal.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 12:55:04 pm »
LOL. Thanks The Hill for another total bullshit story.

Several U.S. and European diplomats told the news outlets

Couldn't get on GD name to put to this story?

BTW if I bought a new Cadillac and then decided to move to Stuttgart and take it with me, the Krauts would bang me with a 30% tax for the privilege. If I bought a Benz in Stuttgart and shipped it to Sandusky Ohio I would pay a whole 2.5% tax on the transaction. That doesn't seem fair, now does it.

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 12:59:26 pm »
He knows the French have to pass such info on to the Germans. If actually said, this would be for effect.

Offline ABX

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 01:33:10 pm »
More sources are confirming.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-autos-germany/trump-wants-to-bar-german-luxury-cars-in-u-s-german-magazine-idUSKCN1IW0LP

OK. So we have a bunch of like minded anti-American news sources who all openly hate Trump and his administration write the same vague story with no sourced quotes from any diplomats or functionaries at the Macron meeting about this actually happening or going to happen and you call that confirmation.

LOL. Jim Acosta. Is that you?

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 01:41:48 pm »
Most of the German manufacturers have plants in the US already. 

Offline endicom

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 01:59:34 pm »
Most of the German manufacturers have plants in the US already.

So this is mostly in the category of macht nichts.

The Japanese and German US factories began being built decades ago out of fear of US protectionist policies and to smooth the effect of volatile currency exchange rates.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 02:02:35 pm »
OK. So we have a bunch of like minded anti-American news sources who all openly hate Trump and his administration write the same vague story with no sourced quotes from any diplomats or functionaries at the Macron meeting about this actually happening or going to happen and you call that confirmation.

Frank makes a fair point.  I will wait until this is confirmed. A lot of stories about what Trump is going to do turn out to be complete BS.

Offline ABX

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 02:24:06 pm »

You just made the case a few posts up why this is a good, fair move.  Now you are saying g reporting on it is anti-Trump? Which is it?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:24:49 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 02:37:17 pm »
You just made the case a few posts up why this is a good, fair move.  Now you are saying g reporting on it is anti-Trump? Which is it?

They are two separate effing things, hence my use of "BTW" on my personal feelings after calling out these nebulous articles you keep pimping. I think tariffs should have parity between countries. Does that make these mimiograph articles true? Nope. 

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 02:41:59 pm »
As long as I can still buy my Ferrari

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline endicom

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 02:44:29 pm »
As long as I can still buy my Ferrari

If you can afford to then you're my new friend.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 03:39:00 pm »
If true, then Pitchfork Pat is going to be upset.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 04:12:38 pm »
A lot of stories about what Trump is going to do turn out to be complete BS.

Even when they’re straight from the horse’s mouth.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 07:47:04 pm »
BTW if I bought a new Cadillac and then decided to move to Stuttgart and take it with me, the Krauts would bang me with a 30% tax for the privilege. If I bought a Benz in Stuttgart and shipped it to Sandusky Ohio I would pay a whole 2.5% tax on the transaction. That doesn't seem fair, now does it.

No, it doesn't.  I feel bad for those Germans who have a government that doesn't care about them and what they want to own.  I'm glad we don't have idiots like that trying to run our lives!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 07:49:54 pm »
LOL. Thanks The Hill for another total bullshit story.

Several U.S. and European diplomats told the news outlets

Couldn't get on GD name to put to this story?

That’s a completely different tax - the VAT - which has to be paid upon importing goods into Germany (most EU countries impose VAT) and not a tariff.  It is analogous to the sales & use tax you are required to pay to your US state of residence when you buy goods outside the state and bring them into the state. 

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 08:14:21 pm »
No, it doesn't.  I feel bad for those Germans who have a government that doesn't care about them and what they want to own.  I'm glad we don't have idiots like that trying to run our lives!

@Suppressed
Yeah we'll need that extra cash after all the jobs leave
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 08:21:11 pm »
@Suppressed
Yeah we'll need that extra cash after all the jobs leave

Extra cash will definitely be needed if an idiot in the White House keeps trying to drive consumer costs up!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 08:28:08 pm »
That’s a completely different tax - the VAT - which has to be paid upon importing goods into Germany (most EU countries impose VAT) and not a tariff.  It is analogous to the sales & use tax you are required to pay to your US state of residence when you buy goods outside the state and bring them into the state.

So there isn't a 30% tax on US vehicles sold in Germany? Last I checked there was a 19% IMPORT VAT plus a 10% Tariff. I know for a fact that if I imported a car from German I would only need to pay 6% state sales tax in PA (could be far less or zero in other states) and a measly 2.5% tariff.

That is class A bullshit and I will quite happily not replace my S-Class and get another Rover of go back to Cadillac if Donny jams them up. I've had about enough of these countries protectionist Union bullshit and now is the perfect time to get that in check.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 08:30:57 pm »
Extra cash will definitely be needed if an idiot in the White House keeps trying to drive consumer costs up!

What money? We are handing it all away to these other countries letting them sell their shit here for a fraction of the cost of what it takes to sell our shit there.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 09:23:42 pm »
The articles show lousy reporting, so I am already suspicious.

The headline roars  Trump to impose total ban on luxury German cars: report  yet the very first sentence in article says it is only the imports.  So which is it?

A gross interpretation of journalistic licensing being practiced.

And what other articles does this author write?  See the other trash  http://thehill.com/author/morgan-gstalter
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 09:26:58 pm »
The articles show lousy reporting, so I am already suspicious.

The headline roars  Trump to impose total ban on luxury German cars: report  yet the very first sentence in article says it is only the imports.  So which is it?

A gross interpretation of journalistic licensing being practiced.

And what other articles does this author write?  See the other trash  http://thehill.com/author/morgan-gstalter

Have you ever known The Hill not to recycle Liberal talking points from other questionable sources?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:28:28 pm by Frank Cannon »