Author Topic: Scientists Just Transferred Memories From One Creature to Another  (Read 815 times)

rangerrebew

Scientists Just Transferred Memories From One Creature to Another

Sea snails picked up memories of another snail, in an experiment that hasn't been replicated since the 1960s.
By Laura Yan   
May 19, 2018

Memory transfer between living creatures may sound like science fiction, but according to scientists at UCLA and a paper published ENeuro, it just became a tested reality: researchers successfully transferred molecules from brain cells of trained snails into untrained snails, giving the untrained snails the trained snails’ instincts, and seemingly their memories.

Researchers experimented on Aplysia californica sea snails, small organisms with large neurons that are relatively easy to work with. When researchers gave snails small electric shocks, they retracted their frilly siphons. Snails that had been shocked before retreated their siphons for longer than new snails.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/animals/a20758773/scientists-just-transferred-memories-from-one-creature-to-another/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 04:17:15 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Suppressed

Re: Scientists Just Transferred Memories From One Creature to Another
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 08:19:42 pm »
Site causes trouble for me.

They once thought they'd done this with planaria, but there was a goof in the experimental design that caused a false positive.  I hope there was none here.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 08:22:14 pm »

You can have my memories when you pry them from my cold, dead skull.

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 01:09:14 am »

Agreed.   And why in the heck would I want someone elses memories?

Of couse they are talking about snails. lol

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 01:24:35 am »

And why in the heck would I want someone elses memories?

So you know to keep your frilly siphons retracted longer?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 01:39:04 am »

That's the whole point. What you said is exactly what they are trying to do. How would you like to have a brain operation and when you wake up, you are suddenly a qualified neurosurgeon or a certified pilot?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:41:12 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 01:40:05 am »
Sounds erotic.

Gastropods have one heck of a weird sex life, so all the help they can get would be good.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 01:48:31 am »
Sounds erotic.

Gastropods have one heck of a weird sex life, so all the help they can get would be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXAQpKmc4zc
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline berdie

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 01:54:10 am »

Absotutley!  It was learned at a very young age. :laugh:

Offline endicom

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 02:08:14 am »
How would you like to have a brain operation and when you wake up, you are suddenly a qualified neurosurgeon or a certified pilot?

What if I said I'm both right now?

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 04:25:08 am »
That's the whole point. What you said is exactly what they are trying to do. How would you like to have a brain operation and when you wake up, you are suddenly a qualified neurosurgeon or a certified pilot?

! No longer available
+++++++++

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 08:24:14 pm »
James White wrote a series called Sector General and in it surgeons would download the memories of other surgeons, usually other alien species, to treat patients of that species. They could retain them or have them wiped. Everything imagined is possible....................eventually!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 11:14:00 pm »
Neither of which would necessarily impart either the dexterity or muscle memory for either. It'd likely be like doing brain surgery with WALDOes the first time you ran them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis