Author Topic: Will Mauna Loa Erupt Next?  (Read 535 times)

rangerrebew

Will Mauna Loa Erupt Next?
« on: May 26, 2018, 02:22:01 pm »
Will Mauna Loa Erupt Next?
The short answer is yes—but don’t freak out.
Kim Steutermann Rogers

05.25.18 4:50 AM ET

KÄ«lauea has been erupting continuously since 1983. But in recent weeks, the Hawai`i volcano noted as the most active in the world amped up big time, becoming a sort of time-lapse photographic record of all possible volcanic events occurring before our eyes. Alerts and warnings have been issued at a rapid-fire pace.

But Kīlauea sits adjacent to the world’s largest active volcano. Could things compound? Could Kīlauea’s robust activity trigger Mauna Loa to erupt?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/will-mauna-loa-erupt-next

Offline skeeter

Re: Will Mauna Loa Erupt Next?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 02:42:23 pm »
A few years ago we flew over Moana Loa's southwest rift zone. What struck me most was the number of different shades of brown of the individual magma flows, all from the '50 eruption I guess. I wondered why (dried) lava from the same source could look so different.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 04:48:13 pm »
I'm sure Pele's not done with Mauna Loa.  I'd make book on it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 04:52:01 pm »
A few years ago we flew over Moana Loa's southwest rift zone. What struck me most was the number of different shades of brown of the individual magma flows, all from the '50 eruption I guess. I wondered why (dried) lava from the same source could look so different.

I noticed when walking there (mostly Kilauea) the Pele's Hair in the tiny crevices of the cooled magma throws many different shades of amber, depending on the angle from which it is viewed.  You have to get really close to pick Pele's Hair out ("Pele's Hair" is finely spun magma, and looks a lot like amber fiberglass).
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: