Author Topic: Remembering those who served our country on Memorial Day 🇺🇸  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Lest we not forget the brave men and women who died so we can have our freedoms.

:patriot:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Re: Remembering those who served our country on Memorial Day 🇺🇸
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 01:29:37 pm »
Just so there's no doubt.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 01:35:56 pm »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 01:42:13 pm »
Thank you for not posting *Happy* Memorial Day..it's a day of remembrance..not a 3-day weekend sales event.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:44:21 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 01:45:22 pm »
Thank you for not posting *Happy* Memorial Day..it's a day of remembrance

I almost did but I corrected myself. I think my guardian angel (aka dad) told me to double check before posting. I'm wearing his dog tags right now. And crying a little. He came home, but I have a great great uncle that was killed in WW I, buried in France
@mystery-ak
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:47:03 pm by Freya »

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 01:49:55 pm »
Mark Knoller ‏ -
Wasn't on @VP press schedule Thursday as he visited gravesite of Marine Corps 1st Lt. Robert M. Kelly, son of White House Chief of Staff General Kelly, in Section 60 of Arlington National Cemetery

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 01:58:17 pm »
Thank you, Freya, for posting this.

Thanks to all TBR vets and their families.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 02:00:17 pm »
Who died for our country, not just served.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 03:10:19 pm »
Don't feel guilty about thanking a veteran this weekend. The survivors of war put their lives on the line just as much as those who didn't make it; if you honor the fallen, you should appreciate the living all the more. Don't worry too much about the Veterans Day semantics. As far as I'm concerned, you can't honor one without recognizing the other.

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country." --George C. Scott, in character as George Patton

via Imgflip Meme Generator
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 03:24:13 pm »
Don't feel guilty about thanking a veteran this weekend. The survivors of war put their lives on the line just as much as those who didn't make it; if you honor the fallen, you should appreciate the living all the more. Don't worry too much about the Veterans Day semantics. As far as I'm concerned, you can't honor one without recognizing the other.

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country." --George C. Scott, in character as George Patton

As a veteran, I appreciate the sentiment of anyone who thanks us on Memorial Day.  BUT, the sacrifice made by those who didn’t come home, FAR outweighs anything that the rest of us may have done.  I have Veterans Day...I don’t need Memorial Day too.  That is the day we should solely remember the ultimate sacrifice.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 03:26:10 pm »

I had a nice conversation with a Korea/Vietnam Vet at breakfast on Friday. He inspired me, displaying such positivity while talking how he has survived two cancers after being exposed to Agent Orange. No regrets, just pride, while mourning his fallen comrades.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 04:37:39 pm »
All gave some, some gave all.   :patriot:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline corbe

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 06:13:26 pm »
   Thank You @Freya for all you do here.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 06:45:46 pm »
As a veteran, I appreciate the sentiment of anyone who thanks us on Memorial Day.  BUT, the sacrifice made by those who didn’t come home, FAR outweighs anything that the rest of us may have done.  I have Veterans Day...I don’t need Memorial Day too.  That is the day we should solely remember the ultimate sacrifice.

Exactly....thanks for posting that.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 07:24:09 pm »
Memorial Day: The Imperative Holiday We Cannot Lose
The Revolutionary Act.com, May 26, 2018, Rod Thomson

This is not your warm and fuzzy Memorial Day column. We have for too long subsumed Memorial Day into the trivialities of summer’s advent, backyard cookouts, a long weekend, bargain sales and vacations. It’s not universal but it is culturally broad.

This is a sad and dangerous devolution to a narcissistic day celebrating little more than the prurient pursuits of a day off, not the ultimate sacrifice of so many who died protecting our lofty ideals. Cookouts and vacays are not why we have Memorial Day.  ...

And as exceptional and imperative as are the principles that created America and turned it into the most fundamentally world-changing nation for good in history, it could not have happened — or been maintained — without those willing to fight and die to protect her from centuries of tyrants and dictators around the world.

This is the hard reality we can never lose sight of: Freedom is not free. It must be fought for every generation, or it will be taken by those who do not love it. Always that battle is done with the proverbial pen and mic, by people such as me, along with good political leaders. But too often it must be done by huge numbers of brave men and women who are willing to kill and be killed to maintain those freedoms for others. Sometimes it has been to bring those freedoms to others.

Yes, please thank a veteran. They risked the same. But remember, the ones you cannot thank are the ones who never came home; those who never got the flag-waving return, the glorious reunion hugs, the warmth and glow of family, even the struggles of reintegration from battlefield into a society of peace and laws.

The ones we cannot thank for their service are the ones we celebrate today, along with those family and friends that bore the brunt of their loss — who live without them daily because of what they gave for us.

More:  https://therevolutionaryact.com/memorial-day-holiday-lose/

Offline Concerned

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 07:40:57 pm »
 :patriot:
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2018, 11:45:00 am »
Scouts place flags at veterans' graves across the country ahead of Memorial Day as WWII dead buried in Europe are honored and Blue Angels perform stunning demonstration over Long Island
Daily Mail/UK, May 26, 2018

Across the country and around the world, the graves of America's war dead are being prepared for Memorial Day commemorations.

In Los Angeles, more than 6,000 Scouts arrived the Los Angeles National Cemetery on Saturday to place American flags at the graves of veterans in a ceremony ahead of Memorial Day on Monday.

The participants included Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts. Organizers say 88,000 flags were placed in tribute.  Each uniformed scout placed a flag by one of the graves and solemnly saluted.

Similar scenes played out across the nation on Saturday, as Scouts turned out to honor dead veterans.

At Mountain Home National Cemetery in Johnson City, Tennessee, where over 15,000 are buried, hundreds of Scouts arrived to place a flag by each grave marker.

In Texas, BSA Troop 8787 followed its 20-year tradition of visiting the Cook-Walden Capital Parks Cemetery in Pflugerville to place about 5,000 flags on graves to honor veterans.

In Mississippi, volunteers also honored those who died in service to their country at the Natchez National Cemetery.

There, he placed flowers at the grave of his grandfather's unit commander in World War I, US Marine Corps Lt. Carleton Burr.

[/

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5775873/Scouts-place-flags-graves-veterans-country-preparation-Memorial-Day.html#ixzz5GhXPovDH

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 11:46:13 am »
Precious photos @Right_in_Virginia

Thank you

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 03:18:20 pm »
Poppy Memorial displayed on National Mall: 'You can't help but be inspired... and sad'
Fox News, May 27, 2018, Elizabeth Prann

WASHINGTON –  Generations have associated a common poppy flower as a representation of our fallen bravest.

It's a symbol dating back to World War I, starting with the war poem, "In Flanders Fields," published in 1915. It continued to be promoted years later by an American professor, Moina Michael. She advocated wearing the delicate flower to never forget the men and women who lost their lives in battle.

On Sunday, The United Services Automobile Association is teaming up with the Veterans of Foreign Wars to bring life to those memories. The Poppy Memorial is a larger-than-life structure put together on the National Mall. It is 133 feet long and 8 1/2 feet tall.

The wall is filled with more than 645,000 poppy flowers, each one honoring the soul of a fallen veteran.

"Each one represents an American serviceman or woman lost in conflicts since World War I. You can't help but be inspired, proud and a little sad all at one time," said retired Vice Adm. John Bird, USAA senior vice president of military affairs.

And while there are constant efforts to preserve voices and memories from the Greatest Generation, Bird emphasized there are brave servicemen and women who are still involved in ongoing conflicts across the globe.

More:  http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/27/poppy-memorial-displayed-on-national-mall-cant-help-but-be-inspired-and-sad.html

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 03:22:08 pm »
In Flanders Fields is a very moving poem. 

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 03:28:58 pm »
In Flanders Fields is a very moving poem.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 03:47:42 pm »
! No longer available

I know this is from a movie, and I wouldn't normally post something that is, for such a serious holiday, but this captures why we have this day. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 04:15:46 pm »
! No longer available

I know this is from a movie, and I wouldn't normally post something that is, for such a serious holiday, but this captures why we have this day.

This one is very personal for me and has gotten the emotions flowing. 

You are one fine lady @sanquine  if I maybe so bold as to say that.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien