Author Topic: S&P 500 companies return $1 trillion to shareholders in tax-cut surge  (Read 789 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Noel Randewich
2 MIN READ

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - S&P 500 companies have returned a record $1 trillion to shareholders over the past year, helped by a recent surge in dividends and stock buybacks following sweeping corporate tax cuts introduced by Republicans, a report on Friday showed.

In the 12 months through March, S&P 500 companies paid out $428 billion in dividends and bought up $573 billion of their own shares, according to S&P Dow Jones Indices analyst Howard Silverblatt.

That compares to combined dividends and buybacks worth $939 billion during the year through March 2017, Silverblatt said in a research note.

Earnings per share of S&P 500 companies surged 26 percent in the March quarter, boosted by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act passed by Republican lawmakers in December.

Companies have been returning much of that profit windfall to shareholders via share buybacks and increased dividends at never before seen amounts, highlighted by Apple’s record $23.5 billion worth of shares repurchased in the first quarter.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-stocks-buyback/sp-500-companies-return-1-trillion-to-shareholders-in-tax-cut-surge-idUSKCN1IQ33F
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
Very interesting
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline Suppressed

So we run up borrowing to make tax cuts that allow corporations to reward shareholders.

I can see why people get upset.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Bookmark
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:51:43 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
So we run up borrowing to make tax cuts that allow corporations to reward shareholders.

Ain't Capitalism great!.  My 401 K investments are rocking.   It is a great time to sock some extra money away for a rainy day!

MAGA!
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

What economics course did you take that says that allowing people to keep their money causes the government to borrow money?

Please inform me, as I am really waiting to hear the answer.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Concerned

What economics course did you take that says that allowing people to keep their money causes the government to borrow money?

Please inform me, as I am really waiting to hear the answer.

By cutting taxes and not reducing spending we end up with a budget deficit that has to be funded via borrowing. The deficit this fiscal year is $440B. The deficit occurs because the U.S. government spending of $4.094 trillion is higher than its revenue of $3.654 trillion.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
By cutting taxes and not reducing spending we end up with a budget deficit that has to be funded via borrowing. The deficit this fiscal year is $440B. The deficit occurs because the U.S. government spending of $4.094 trillion is higher than its revenue of $3.654 trillion.

I think we could have gotten away with cutting taxes and not reducing spending.  It's the big fat spending spree I don't like.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

That of course is how it works.  But that is not what the poster said.

He said that because we allowed money to remain with the taxpayer the govt had to borrow, which is not correct.

A tax cut is beneficial to us all, but a reduction in spending is even better.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:25:52 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington