Author Topic: Voter turnout in a Texas Democratic gubernatorial runoff hasn’t been this low in nearly 100 years  (Read 693 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Voter turnout in a Texas Democratic gubernatorial runoff hasn’t been this low in nearly 100 years
Texas Tribune, May 22, 2018

Democrat Lupe Valdez will face off against Republican Gov. Greg Abbott in the fall. Two incumbents in the Texas House lost their runoffs. And Democrats had their worst runoff turnout in almost a century.

<snip>

Democratic voters made some history of their own. And it wasn't pretty.

As of 11 p.m. Tuesday, just 415,000 Democrats had cast ballots in the gubernatorial runoff. For reference, that's a decline of almost 60 percent from the 1 million Texans who cast ballots in the March Democratic primary.

That's the largest primary-to-runoff decline — and the smallest number of ballots cast — in the 14 Democratic gubernatorial primary runoffs held since 1920. That year, 449,000 Democrats voted, according to Texas Election Source's analysis of Texas State Historical Association data.

Lots more:  https://www.texastribune.org/2018/05/22/texas-primary-runoffs-results-who-won/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Maybe next time they can draft Ann Richards spawn to run.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online MajorClay

so much for the blue wave

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Look at their pathetic choices. LOL!
Principles matter. Words matter.