Author Topic: In a tight race, billionaire Koch brothers take aim at Beto O'Rourke  (Read 1077 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Fernando Ramirez May 25, 2018

Beto O'Rourke is ruffling some big feathers.

The El Paso congressman and Democratic candidate for Texas Senator recently caught the attention of one of the nation's most influential right-wing organizations.

Americans for Prosperity, the political arm of the billionaire Koch brothers, announced Thursday a six-figure ad campaign targetting lawmakers who voted for a $1.3 trillion spending package earlier this year.

"It's time to take a hard look at what lawmakers say, and what they actually do when it comes to reining in overspending," said AFP spokesman Bill Riggs. "The $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill passed by Congress in March showed a complete disregard for fiscal responsibility. Both parties are responsible for putting the country on an unsustainable fiscal path, which is why AFP is committed to holding both parties accountable."

The spending package, which passed with bipartisan majorities in Congress, averted a government shutdown by providing funding for border security, NASA and measures to prevent mass shootings.

more: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/article/Beto-O-Rourke-Ted-Cruz-Koch-brothers-election-2018-12943879.php

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
This is good news.  I want to see Paddy beaten and broken like a cheap mexican clay pot.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline skeeter

This is good news.  I want to see Paddy beaten and broken like a cheap mexican clay pot.

I do too, but I don't want Cruz beholden to the Koch brothers.

Take their money and vote for the wall anyway Ted.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

what a scumbag newspaper the Chronicle has become.

To say Cruz is in a tight race, or to say the "That race is emblematic of the way things have changed in Texas, where we're finally seeing some serious political talent challenge the current order," is stupid.

When I saw Beto's 'talent', I saw this blurb " He was arrested in 1995 on burglary charges after he tripped an alarm while jumping a fence at the University of Texas-El Paso, but prosecutors declined the case. O'Rourke received deferred adjudication on a 1997 drunken driving arrest and was not convicted. He called the incident "a mistake."[12][13] He is fluent in Spanish.[14]"

So a thief and a drunk is 'serious political talent' for the Dems?  They already have Hillary, so maybe they are interested in replacing her with this guy?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

They have been ever since the Houston Post closed.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

To say Cruz is in a tight race, or to say the "That race is emblematic of the way things have changed in Texas, where we're finally seeing some serious political talent challenge the current order," is stupid.

When I saw Beto's 'talent', I saw this blurb " He was arrested in 1995 on burglary charges after he tripped an alarm while jumping a fence at the University of Texas-El Paso, but prosecutors declined the case. O'Rourke received deferred adjudication on a 1997 drunken driving arrest and was not convicted. He called the incident "a mistake."[12][13] He is fluent in Spanish.[14]"

Beatoff's daddy is a judge in El Paso. Of course they wouldn't prosecute his boy.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:34:25 am by austingirl »
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It doesn't say they are supporting Cruz, just that they are targeting those who voted for that bloated omnibus.

And, "Aside from O'Rourke, the Koch brothers will also take aim at John Carter (R) of Round Rock and Henry Cuellar (D) of Laredo."  I'm glad to see they're going after Carter; he's a disgrace.