Author Topic: GDPR: US news sites unavailable to EU users over data protection rules  (Read 775 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

A number of high-profile US news websites are temporarily unavailable in Europe after new European Union rules on data protection came into effect.

The Chicago Tribune and LA Times were among those posting messages saying they were currently unavailable in most European countries.

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives EU citizens more rights over how their information is used....

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44248448

Offline ABX

Not just these big news sites, tens of thousands of small sites as well. This is why your inbox is probably full of 'privacy policy' emails this week.

Oceander

If anyone here posts from Europe, perhaps they can post here if they can still see the forum?

Offline endicom

If anyone here posts from Europe, perhaps they can post here if they can still see the forum?

It wouldn't be just TBR, right? Wouldn't it have to be whichever Sauron hosts TBR?

Offline ABX

It wouldn't be just TBR, right? Wouldn't it have to be whichever Sauron hosts TBR?

Doesn't seem to have impacted us but we aren't a heavy data collector, just the basics that the forum software requires. You can see what we do in your profile settings (we are very transparent about everything). I do worry about a certain other site though knowing the private and sensitive data they keep behind the scenes and that they are stubborn about disclosure.

Oceander

That I’m not sure of. 

Offline ABX

..and just to clarify, even though these are EU rules, they impact any site around the world that EU citizens can access. The FCC has already told the EU they would help in forcing US sites to be in compliance.

Offline The_Reader_David

I'm in the UK visiting my daughter and can still read TBR.

OTOH, the new rules killed the hexgrid wargaming site based in Scotland that I really liked.  Completely absurd -- the e-commerce sites run by the same company to sell play-vs-AI hexgrid games are still up, but evidently sending the state of a game in progress counted as "personal data" and they couldn't update the site to meet the EU's diktat.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.