Author Topic: Longstanding Mystery Of The Green Mummified Baby Hand Has Finally Been Solved  (Read 760 times)

rangerrebew

Longstanding Mystery Of The Green Mummified Baby Hand Has Finally Been Solved

By Robin Andrews
25 May 2018, 10:52

Mummification – whether that be through arid transformations in the desert or via the more famous embalming processes – isn’t straightforward. Depending on how it’s done, the resulting mummified person, or animal, can look quite different from the next.

This is no better epitomized than by a mindboggling discovery by Hungary’s University of Szeged. Recounting their research in a new study, the team focus on the tale of a weirdly colored, semi-preserved baby’s hand, found in 2005 in an abandoned cemetery in Nyarlorinc, a village in the south of the country.

http://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/longstanding-mystery-green-mummified-baby-hand-finally-been-solved/
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:56:42 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Longstanding Mystery Of The Green Mummified Baby Hand Has Finally Been Solved

Finally! It's about time! This has been bugging me for years.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Frank Cannon

I guess they used digital technology.

Offline GrouchoTex

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
There was a copper coin in the baby's hand and they had to work hard to figure out why the hand was green?

rangerrebew

Anthropologists Discover Mummified, Green Baby Hand
by Christopher Hassiotis Jun 7, 2018

Imagine opening a dusty box shelved away in a research facility. Inside you see some small bones, a few antique artifacts, and ... a tiny mummified hand colored an eerie shade of green. Would you shriek in terror? Would you worry it was a harbinger of some terrible curse? Would you at least see if the mummified hand could grant you a wish or two?

Remove the literary shock value, and that's precisely the dilemma that presented itself in 2005 when Dr. Janos Balázs, a biological anthropologist at Hungary's University of Szeged, and his colleague Zoltán Bölkei investigated a box filled with small bones and the mummified hand of a human baby found in central Hungary. Though discovered in a medieval cemetery, the remains of the baby — premature, miscarried or stillborn, according to the researchers — date back only to the second half of the 19th century.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/archaeology/anthropologists-discover-mummified-green-baby-hand.htm#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Offline Suppressed

These happy little accidents of serendipity are wonderful.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
These happy little accidents of serendipity are wonderful.

Was their a solid gold Kama Sutra coffee pot in that dusty box too?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline MOD3

Topics merged.