Author Topic: Oh, say, could you see it coming?  (Read 844 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Oh, say, could you see it coming?
« on: May 24, 2018, 09:26:01 pm »
Or: How "The Star Spangled Banner" got mixed up in sports in the first place
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.blogspot.com/2018/05/oh-say-could-you-see-it-coming.html

Fred Thomas's spontaneity during
Game One of the 1918 World Series
started a tradition that became a
sociopolitical headache a
century later . . .

Those who wonder just how "The Star Spangled Banner" got mixed up with American sports events can thank World War I, the 1918 World Series, and the U.S. Navy band. Whether to credit or to blame depends on your point of view, of course, but this is how it actually began: 

1) The war was a little over a month from ending when the Series began in Chicago's Comiskey Park. The Cubs met the Red Sox, but it was feared the Cubs' home playpen, which was seven years from being re-named Wrigley Field, was too small to accommodate anticipated Series audiences. This was also before both franchises became symbols of futility married to extraterrestrial heartbreak. Entering the 1918 Series, between them they'd won six of the previous fifteen Series. After it, neither would win a World Series until the 21st Century.

2) A pall hung over the 1918 Series with the war not quite ended; over 100,000 American troops were killed to that point, and the Series began a day after a bomb exploded in the Chicago Federal Building, killing four.* Between that, and the government announcing they were about to start drafting baseball players (government had already ordered baseball season to end by Labor Day, making for an all-September World Series), things were a little less than festive as Babe Ruth (still a Red Sox, and still a full-time pitcher) squared off against Hippo Vaughan.

3) Several baseball players, including eventual Hall of Fame inaugural class members Christy Mathewson and Ty Cobb, were already in military service for the war, Mathewson and Cobb assigned to the newly created Chemical Service. (Mathewson would be gassed accidentally during a training exercise; it caused the tuberculosis that would kill him in 1925.)

4 In terms of baseball, and depending on your point of view, the game itself might have been a bit of a snooze. Ruth tossed a six-hit shutout, and the game's only run scored in the fourth inning, when Stuffy McInnis drove in Dave Shean with one out and two on. But during the seventh-inning stretch, the Navy band began to play. (It was common in those years for military bands to provide music during sporting events.) Hearing "The Star Spangled Banner," Red Sox third baseman Fred Thomas, who'd just taken his field position as the sides changed, turned toward the flag and gave a military salute.

5) Thomas himself was a Navy man on furlough to play in the Series. (His commander was said to have been a huge baseball fan.) Thomas's spontaneous salute prompted other players on the field and in the dugouts to rise with their hands over their hearts. The already-standing crowd followed suit.

6) For the rest of that World Series (the Red Sox won in six games), the seventh inning stretch featured "The Star Spangled Banner." Before that sixth game, Red Sox owner Harry Frazee made sure wounded veterans had free tickets to the game. He also decided "The Star Spangled Banner" would be played just before game time, specifically to honour those wounded veterans. After the Red Sox won the Series (their Game Six triumph featured both their runs scoring on an outfield error), Frazee made the playing of the song a regular at the Red Sox's home games.

Other teams in baseball and other professional sports leagues followed suit, gradually, entirely on their own. The song became America's official national anthem in 1931. Sports teams featured it before games throughout World War II, with no known official command to do so, until the war ended. After that war, the National Football League made it mandatory before all games. That'd teach them.

The History Channel's Becky Little wrote last fall that such formal adoption "also gave way to a new American pastime, almost as beloved as sports itself: complaining about people’s behavior during the national anthem." In 1954, the general manager of the freshly-minted Baltimore Orioles (formerly the St. Louis Browns), Arthur Ehlers, was unamused by that new pastime occurring at his team's home games. And he did something about it. He put an end to playing "The Star Spangled Banner" before Orioles home games. It lasted long enough (a month) until Ehlers restored the practise, under public pressure and protest.

The NFL and the National Basketball Association have formal rules mandating the playing of "The Star Spangled Banner" before games. The NBA requires players, coaches, and trainers to stand in a "dignified" manner along the sidelines or at the foul line. The National Hockey League has no formal requirement regarding player, coach, or training staff actions during national anthems; the league only requires anthems be played before games. (In games between American and Canadian teams, both "The Star Spangled Banner" and "O Canada" are played; if the Canadian team is the home team, "O Canada" is played second, as the highlight spot, and vice versa in an American arena.)

Baseball actually has no written rule mandating "The Star Spangled Banner" before games; or, for that matter, "God Bless America" during seventh-inning stretches, a tradition that began in the wake of the 9/11 atrocity and now seems to continue sporadically. (Games between the Blue Jays and other teams feature both "The Star Spangled Banner" and "O Canada," the order of their playing depending also upon whether the Blue Jays are the home team.) "MLB has said that the playing of the anthems before games . . . is an important tradition that has great meaning for fans," The Sporting News writes. "But MLB has also said that it respects that players are individuals with different backgrounds, perspectives, and opinions."

Colin Kaepernick took a knee during "The Star Spangled Banner" to protest police brutality, actual or alleged, in 2016, and the small but profound rash of similar protests among football players to follow aroused no few passions but seemed on the verge of fading away to maybe a mere dozen such player protesters by the second week of last fall's NFL season, in part because public indignation began eating into the NFL's audiences.

Then President Trump had to open his big yap at a rally in Alabama. "Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now, out, he's fired. He's fired!'"

"Excited by how such nakedly pointless culture-war baiting was getting his base 'stirred up'," writes Reason's Matt Welch, "the president piled more worms on the hook. He sent Vice President Mike Pence to attend (and showily walk out of) an Indianapolis Colts game that featured an offensive non-stander. He even dragged the controversy into his State of the Union Address. (In fairness, the state of our union is that we bicker endlessly over this kind of phony bullsh@t while our elected officials misuse billions and billions of our dollars, including on professional sports franchises.) The NFL, whose owners lean Republican and whose ceremonial accoutrements have long been suffused with militaristic displays of patriotism, has been agonizing over anthem etiquette ever since."

Pence had something to say about the NFL's new edict, requiring its players to stand for "The Star Spangled Banner" or else. "#Winning," the vice president said. Jay Nordlinger---a senior editor for National Review, a journal not heretofore known as patriotically lacking, never mind Trump supporters fuming over its opposition to Trump's candidacy in early 2016---had something to say about it, too.

"Respecting the flag — what does that mean?" Nordlinger asked Thursday, then answered. "I think that most people who take a knee' during the national anthem are probably jerks and ignoramuses and ingrates. But I’m not sure that forcing them to stand advances the cause of patriotism. I’m not sure that patriotism is compatible with compulsion."

If you think the national anthem kneelers are jerks, that is your right; if you think they're not, that is also your right. Invite me to opine one or the other way, and you're under no further obligation to agree with mine than am I to agree with yours.

It's forgotten often enough that kneeling has long been considered an act of respect, of genuflection, never mind that that wasn't quite what Kaepernick and those who took his cue intended. Kneeling, Duke University theological ethicist Luke Bretherton has written, recalling church with his parents as a boy, "declared that there was something beyond me, greater than me, that needed to be honoured in the most obvious and straightforward way possible: by kneeling down."

But kneeling for respect can be made as compulsory as the NFL's new anti-kneeling edict. Ask anyone who lived in such a society, demurred from kneeling before or on behalf of the monarch or the Dear Leader, and lost his head over it. Compulsion is as incompatible with respect as it is with patriotism.

That said, you'd be very hard pressed to find Kaepernick or other NFL kneelers accused of congratulating strongmen in their triumphs during sham elections, in countries where patriotism is in the eye of the beholder, and the beholder happens to be in power at the moment with the means and the will to dispose of his "unpatriotic" opposition.

Vladimir Putin's two main opponents in his last "election" didn't get to run in the first place. Boris Nemtsov was murdered; Alexei Navalny was merely barred from running. Egyptian president Sissi hand picked his opponent in his last election, an opponent who just so happened to be a "warm admirer" of his. His actual opponents were either behind bars or otherwise intimidated out of running, and they weren't all Islamists, either. Against all advice from aides, Mr. Trump called both Putin and Sissi to congratulate them on their, quote, re-elections.

"Trump and his army wrapped themselves in the flag when doing battle with the NFL . . . 'America First,' they cry. Rah rah," Nordlinger wrote last month. "But when it comes to upholding American values in the world—our flag is drooping. People who wet themselves at the sight of football players kneeling are completely blasé when it comes to these congratulations, offered to dictators who steal elections."

Another Reason writer, Robby Soave, finds another kind of hypocrisy. "Saying that simply kneeling for the national anthem is so offensive that it must be confined to the locker room or banned outright," Soave writes, "reflects the same hypersensitivity that plagues the social justice left."

John Hirschauer of The Daily Wire---a conservative Website founded by Ben Shapiro, who'd bolted Breitbart as it became an or-else! Trump support system and clearinghouse for the wingnut alt-right---thinks the new NFL anthem mandate betrays the truest meaning of patriotism, that it must come from the heart and not from gunpoint, metaphoric or otherwise.

"By choosing to make standing for the anthem a matter of coercion rather than a voluntary act of patriotism," Hirschauer writes, "it (quite wrongly) suggests that NFL executives and the kneeling movement's many malcontents in the country are unable to provide a coherent reason why America is worth honouring in spite of its flaws. Worse, it furthers the very narrative that drives protests like Kaepernick: The established authorities are afraid of the message they bear, and it is the established authorities' ill-reception of this message that perpetuates the 'systemic racism' that threatens the lives of black men in America."

Shapiro himself says it's "not a win for the country for governmental officials to push private organisations to change policy like this, nor is it a win for Americans more broadly, since polls show movement in favour of kneeling thanks to Trump's involvement." He also thinks the NFL kneelers were merely being foolish and counterproductive, but "now it remains a polarising issue played for gain by both sides."

One becomes grateful that baseball has no official position regarding the anthem or protests during its playing and singing. (Only one baseball player thus far has taken the protest knee, Athletics catcher Bruce Maxwell.) But you'd be making a reasonably educated guess if you surmise that Fred Thomas, his Red Sox teammates, the Cubs, and the Comiskey Park audience who responded to "The Star Spangled Banner" during that seventh-inning stretch a century ago, had no clue that something which did, indeed, spring spontaneously from their hearts, would come to this.
------------------------------------------------------------------
* There may be some irony there: the Chicago Federal Building explosion was believed the work of members of the Industrial Workers of the World, 113 of whom were on trial concurrently (and would be convicted) under the Espionage Act of 1917 in the courtroom of Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis---who'd become baseball's first commissioner during the fallout of the Black Sox scandal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@flowers
@Freya
@GrouchoTex
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@Right_in_Virginia
@Slip18
@TomSea
@truth_seeker
@WarmPotato

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline mountaineer

Re: Oh, say, could you see it coming?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 11:44:36 am »
I've always wondered why the anthem is played before sporting events. There's really no good reason for it, in my opinion.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 04:03:36 pm »
I've always wondered why the anthem is played before sporting events. There's really no good reason for it, in my opinion.
@mountaineer
I got the playing of it during Game One of that 1918 World Series. I got the spontaneous act of Fred Thomas. Just as I got it when "God Bless America" became
a seventh-inning stretch thing when baseball returned after 9/11.

If I were given the say over it, I'd say: Can it, unless a game is to be played on particular holidays that hold genuine significance for the country---Memorial Day,
Independence Day, that sort of thing. (Canadian sports teams could do likewise with "O Canada," saving that for games played on holidays significant to their
country, too.) Or, if a team is playing its first game since the death of a known team legend who might also have had military service or even gone on to serve
in local, state, or federal government, as some players have. (Hall of Fame pitcher Jim Bunning, for example, was a long-enough serving Congressman and then
Senator. There have been others, including a one-time teammate of Bunning's, fellow pitcher Larry Jackson---when he retired in 1969, Jackson returned to his
native Idaho and became a lobbyist for Boise-Cascade, which led to his entering politics directly, as a four-term state representative and then executive
director of the Idaho Republican Party, before losing the state's 1978 Republican gubernatorial primary and then becoming appointed to Idaho's State Industrial
Commission, the job he held from then until his death of cancer in 1990.)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:04:23 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 04:07:22 pm »
I'll tell you what, I still get goosebumps when I hear it.

Last night, before the Houston Rockets game, they had a choir group from Santa Fe High School sing it.
They did an amazing job.
I was watching this in a crowded Katy, TX sports bar, and everyone stood and clapped when it was over.
There were a few of us wiping away something that got in our eyes...........
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 05:02:59 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 04:47:22 pm »
I'll tell you what, I still get goosebumps when I hear it.

Last night, before the Houston Rockets game, they had a choir group from Santa Fe High School sing it.
They did an amazing job.
I was watching this in a crowed Katy, TX sports bar, and everyone stood and clapped when it was over.
There were a few of us wiping away something that got in our eyes...........
@GrouchoTex
When I was in the Air Force, every now and then there would come requests to all the units at my base (I was at Offutt Air Force base working in the headquarters of the old Strategic Air Command) for volunteers to be part of ceremonial parades, usually involving the retirement of a significant flag officer or a particular special occasion peculiar to SAC itself. With one exception, I volunteered for every one of them while I was there. (I did my entire hitch there, after basic training and tech school.) There was something special about those parades, even if some of them went a little on the side of a kind of vanity, particularly when the base band hit "The Star Spangled Banner" to finish the parades.

The key word above is "volunteers," or voluntary. The presumption of patriotism attached to one who serves in the military to one side, there was never any coercion to be part of those ceremonial parades, at any level. Certainly not in my organisation. There were others in my units who volunteered for them as often as I did (there were times when those folks plus yours truly would greet each other like we were members of some secret organisation, we saw each other so often for those parades alone!), but nobody ever ordered anyone to be part of it and you did it from your heart. (Well, I do remember one other in one of those parades admitting to me he did it just to get the hell out of his shop for awhile, but never mind, that was surely the exception.)

Dearly though I've loved baseball my entire life, I really can't grok the need for a national anthem sounding at every game, from Opening Day through the final game of a World Series. It renders real patriotism meaningless, really, and it removes the precept that real patriotism comes from the heart and not from a mandate. That was why I suggested above that sports ought to save national anthems for particular holidays of particular national meaning if games are played on those days. For baseball, that would usually be Memorial Day and Independence Day, maybe Labour Day as well. For football, basketball, and hockey, in the United States, those would be Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, and Presidents' Day. (With baseball, on those holidays on which the game is played, there'd be nothing untoward about the seventh-inning stretch "God Bless America," but you'd be hard pressed to slot it into the two-minute warning of other sports on their holiday games.)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:48:25 pm by EasyAce »