Author Topic: Jazz Musician Wynton Marsalis: Filth-Filled Rap, Hip-Hop 'More Damaging' Than Confederate Statues  (Read 225 times)

rangerrebew

Jazz Musician Wynton Marsalis: Filth-Filled Rap, Hip-Hop 'More Damaging' Than Confederate Statues

Pulitzer Prize-winning jazz musician Wynton Marsalis [1] said that the racially charged and profanity-laced creations in rap and hip-hop are "more damaging" to the culture and to black Americans "than a statue of Robert E. Lee."

During a recent interview [2] with the Washington Post's Jonathan Capehart [2], Marsalis -- the first jazz musician to win the Pulitzer Prize for music in 1997 -- said: “My words are not that powerful. I started saying in 1985 I don’t think we should have a music talking about bleep and bitches and hoes. It had no impact. I’ve said it. I’ve repeated it. I still repeat it."

Source URL: https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/jazz-musician-wynton-marsalis-filth-filled-rap-hip-hop-more-damaging

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Good points by Marsalis. I heard a rap song that was so dirty and it was from the '90s, nothing current and it was played on the radio. I have barely listened to that station since, though some of the other stuff wasn't that bad.

Offline mountaineer

Couldn't agree more. Thanks for posting, ranger. I was going to do it but got sidetracked.

As an aside, my sister recorded with Wynton when she was at Eastman School of Music. He even came to a "wrap party" at her home after the CD was done, so she's a big fan. I'm also a fan - not just for his musical talent but for saying the words that needed to be said.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Saying what needs to be said.

He's going to pay for saying it, and I'm sure he knows that.