Author Topic: John McCain: film portrait of an ‘American hero’ skirts hard questions  (Read 657 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Huh?

John McCain: film portrait of an ‘American hero’ skirts hard questions
Ed Pilkington

John McCain was being filmed on the porch of his home in Sedona, Arizona, looking happy and relaxed despite the mortal battle he is waging with brain cancer, when he uttered the words that are certain to go down in the annals of American political history. “I should have said: ‘Look, Joe Lieberman is my best friend, we should take him. But I was persuaded by my political advisers it would be harmful, and that was another mistake that I made.”

Peter Kunhardt, an Emmy-winning director, was inside the house at that precise moment sitting with McCain’s wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, who were watching the taping as it was being relayed live on a TV monitor. “They actually gasped when he said he wished he had picked Lieberman,” Kunhardt said. “After the filming, Cindy came up to us and said that was the first time he’d ever said that.”

It’s not so much that McCain had finally admitted regret over his decision to forgo choosing Lieberman to be his running mate in the 2008 presidential election. It was, after all, an unlikely pairing – McCain was the Republican nominee and Lieberman was at that time a Democrat.

Continued at: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/24/john-mccain-hbo-documentary-for-whom-bell-tolls

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Check this out, 45 years to the day:

Michael Beschloss
‏Verified account @BeschlossDC
23h23 hours ago

John McCain welcomed by Richard Nixon to White House after 5-1/2 years of captivity in North Vietnam, 45 years ago tomorrow night:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:57:27 pm by TomSea »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Anyone with a brain knew it was going to be a fluff piece.   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."