Author Topic: Trump was right in 1987, and is still right today.  (Read 1845 times)

Offline endicom

Trump was right in 1987, and is still right today.
« on: May 22, 2018, 01:23:51 am »
Don Surber
May 21, 2018

The ad said in part:

"For decades, Japan and other nations have been taking advantage of the United States.

"The saga continues unabated as we defend the Persian Gulf, an area of only marginal significance to the United States for its oil supplies, but one upon which Japan and others are almost totally dependent.

More... http://donsurber.blogspot.com/2018/05/trump-was-right-in-1987-and-is-still.html

Offline Concerned

Re: Trump was right in 1987, and is still right today.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 01:39:54 am »
So now that Trump is President, how much are they paying us?  From the ad:

"Why are these nations not paying the United States for the human lives and billions of dollars we are losing to protect their interests?"
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 01:54:01 am »
So now that Trump is President, how much are they paying us?  From the ad:

Ask Congress.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 02:21:25 am »

Ask Congress.

No, thanks.  I'm asking the President of the United States since he's the leader of the majority party and he submitted a budget to Congress. 

Interesting that many conservatives blamed Obama when he was President but give Trump a pass (of course, that's just simple hypocrisy).

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 02:25:03 am »
No, thanks.  I'm asking the President of the United States since he's the leader of the majority party and he submitted a budget to Congress. 

Interesting that many conservatives blamed Obama when he was President but give Trump a pass (of course, that's just simple hypocrisy).

You'll go off on any odd tangent to knock Trump.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 02:43:00 am »

You'll go off on any odd tangent to knock Trump.

The beauty of objectivity is that I praise him when I think he deserves praise and criticize him when I think he deserves criticism.  I have plenty of each documented right here on TBR.   If you'd like to compare my praise of Trump to your criticism, I'm all for it.  I suspect you won't.  Trump submitted a budget to Congress and that's what I criticized.  If you think it was fiscally conservative, please make that case because I don't see lots of deficit spending as "conservative". 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 02:44:03 am by Concerned »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 02:46:33 am »
Trump submitted a budget to Congress and that's what I criticized.

So the eff what. You have to go back to Calvin Coolidge to get to a sensible budget. Nixon's budgets were shit. Ford's budgets were shit. Reagan's budgets were shit. Both Bush's budgets were shit. It's an interesting thing to be upset about all of a sudden now that Donny is doing the same damn thing.

Offline endicom

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 03:00:20 am »
The beauty of objectivity is that I praise him when I think he deserves praise and criticize him when I think he deserves criticism.  I have plenty of each documented right here on TBR.   If you'd like to compare my praise of Trump to your criticism, I'm all for it.  I suspect you won't.  Trump submitted a budget to Congress and that's what I criticized.  If you think it was fiscally conservative, please make that case because I don't see lots of deficit spending as "conservative".

That budget contains nothing about who will defend the Persian Gulf. You're being ridiculous.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 03:28:02 am »
So the eff what. You have to go back to Calvin Coolidge to get to a sensible budget. Nixon's budgets were shit. Ford's budgets were shit. Reagan's budgets were shit. Both Bush's budgets were shit. It's an interesting thing to be upset about all of a sudden now that Donny is doing the same damn thing.

It's not all of a sudden and just because all those other idiots did it doesn't mean it was right.  Why shouldn't we complain about out of control deficit spending?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 03:35:31 am »
It's not all of a sudden and just because all those other idiots did it doesn't mean it was right.  Why shouldn't we complain about out of control deficit spending?

Because all the people who bitch about this shit constantly pine for the good old days when these past dudes ran things. It's fake phony bullshit. What everyone wants will never happen because it hasen't for 100 years.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 03:46:57 am »
Because all the people who bitch about this shit constantly pine for the good old days when these past dudes ran things. It's fake phony bullshit. What everyone wants will never happen because it hasen't for 100 years.

Well bleep, I'll just vote democrat from now on and get it over with sooner rather than later.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 03:58:25 am »
Well bleep, I'll just vote democrat from now on and get it over with sooner rather than later.

You can do what you want, but pretending that magical things happened in the past instead of facing reality is absurd.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 04:06:58 am »
You can do what you want, but pretending that magical things happened in the past instead of facing reality is absurd.

Whether they happened in the past is irrelevant.  I want them because it's the best way of doing things.  I don't care why anyone wants the same.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 04:49:28 am »
Whether they happened in the past is irrelevant.  I want them because it's the best way of doing things.  I don't care why anyone wants the same.

What are you afraid of? That the US will default for the first time in history? Oh. Wait. We defaulted in 1934.

See. Everything is bullshit. No balanced budgets in 100 years and a major default. We are still here though.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 05:05:53 am »
What are you afraid of? That the US will default for the first time in history? Oh. Wait. We defaulted in 1934.

See. Everything is bullshit. No balanced budgets in 100 years and a major default. We are still here though.

Nah, every dollar that the gov't spends it takes from me and reduces my freedom that much more.  That's the part of it I don't like.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 05:11:55 am »
Nah, every dollar that the gov't spends it takes from me and reduces my freedom that much more.  That's the part of it I don't like.

Don't need to worry about that. There is this little old man named Yellen who prints dollars up when they need them.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 05:18:33 am »
Don't need to worry about that. There is this little old man named Yellen who prints dollars up when they need them.

Uh huh.  Wonder if he'd throw me a few so I can pay off the mortgage and go on vacay.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 05:22:22 am »
Uh huh.  Wonder if he'd throw me a few so I can pay off the mortgage and go on vacay.

He would, but your local govt' need your dollars more than you do. Some noise about "unfunded liabilities" or some horseshit like that.

Not to worry though. You will always have negative interest rates to look forward to.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 05:30:19 am by Frank Cannon »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 10:06:54 am »
This ship of state doesn’t now, nor has it ever, turned on a dime. The only way to right the ship is incrementally, despite too many democrats pushing the tiller hard left. Reagan understood this, as do most realists.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 11:14:37 am »

That budget contains nothing about who will defend the Persian Gulf. You're being ridiculous.

The point I’m making is that if Trump supporters really think he was right in 1987 about “these nations” “paying the United States for the human lives and billions of dollars we are losing” it seems to me that they should hold him accountable for getting those nations to pay these “billions of dollars” to us.  Where’s that money?  Why hasn’t he gotten it and why isn’t it reflected in the budget he submitted to Congress?  I suppose it’s all just BS just like Mexico paying for the wall.

Offline endicom

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 12:04:32 pm »
The point I’m making is that if Trump supporters really think he was right in 1987 about “these nations” “paying the United States for the human lives and billions of dollars we are losing” it seems to me that they should hold him accountable for getting those nations to pay these “billions of dollars” to us.  Where’s that money?  Why hasn’t he gotten it and why isn’t it reflected in the budget he submitted to Congress?  I suppose it’s all just BS just like Mexico paying for the wall.

You land on every spot but the right one. This isn't about Trump supporters or Trump doing more than a president can do or putting Persian Gulf defense in a budget proposal or Mexico.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 12:11:42 pm »

You land on every spot but the right one. This isn't about Trump supporters or Trump doing more than a president can do or putting Persian Gulf defense in a budget proposal or Mexico.

Since I'm simply quoting the article you posted, if I'm not landing on the "right" spot then your article must not be either.  Trump billed himself as being the “great deal-maker” and that he “alone can fix” Washington.  If he was right that these other nations should pay the US for the “billions of dollars we are losing”, I just think he should leverage these supposed “great” deal-making skills to make that happen, and it should be reflected in his budget (if he’s really that “great”, of course).

Offline endicom

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 12:22:06 pm »
Since I'm simply quoting the article you posted, if I'm not landing on the "right" spot then your article must not be either.  Trump billed himself as being the “great deal-maker” and that he “alone can fix” Washington.  If he was right that these other nations should pay the US for the “billions of dollars we are losing”, I just think he should leverage these supposed “great” deal-making skills to make that happen, and it should be reflected in his budget (if he’s really that “great”, of course).

Your irrelevant digressions have turned this thread into a continuation of the Perpetual Argument thread.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 12:28:28 pm »

Your irrelevant digressions have turned this thread into a continuation of the Perpetual Argument thread.

They're so irrelevant yet you continue responding to them.   *****rollingeyes*****

I'm referencing what I believe are the key points from Trump's 1987 letter which were that "other nations" are "taking advantage of the United States" and that they should pay for "the human lives and billions of dollars we are losing to protect their interests".  If Trump is indeed "right" about those points (as asserted by Surber), I just think he should strive to get those nations to pay us those "billions of dollars".  If you now think he's wrong about that, fair enough -- you must disagree with the premise of the article you posted. 

Offline endicom

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 12:40:01 pm »
They're so irrelevant yet you continue responding to them.   *****rollingeyes*****

I'm referencing what I believe are the key points from Trump's 1987 letter which were that "other nations" are "taking advantage of the United States" and that they should pay for "the human lives and billions of dollars we are losing to protect their interests".  If Trump is indeed "right" about those points (as asserted by Surber), I just think he should strive to get those nations to pay us those "billions of dollars".  If you now think he's wrong about that, fair enough -- you must disagree with the premise of the article you posted.

No, I'm not disagreeing with Surber but with you. Perhaps you didn't read what he wrote or read into his writing every irrelevant theme of yours.