Author Topic: Greek far-right thugs beat up mayor of Thessaloniki  (Read 325 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Greek far-right thugs beat up mayor of Thessaloniki
« on: May 21, 2018, 03:14:18 am »
Greek far-right thugs beat up mayor of Thessaloniki
Anthee Carassava, Athens

May 21 2018, 12:01am, The Times

Bodyguards try to get Yiannis Boutaris to safety as the nationalist mob closes in

The 75-year-old mayor of Thessaloniki was recovering in hospital yesterday after suffering head, back and leg injuries when he was beaten by a mob of nationalists at a remembrance event.

Yiannis Boutaris, a liberal who is also a leading Greek winemaker, was attacked while attending a ceremony on Saturday commemorating the massacre of Greeks by Ottoman Turks during the First World War.

Minutes after the attack Ourania Michaloliakou, the daughter of Nikos Michaloliakos, who leads the neo-Nazi Golden Dawn party, applauded the violent incident and the assailants. “Bravo to each and every one who carried out his duty in Thessaloniki today. Respect,” she tweeted.

Read more at: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/greek-far-right-thugs-beat-up-mayor-of-thessaloniki-djsgqt0gh

There's more to the story, the above is a paywall. I think the thugs took shots at him, for obviously, his beliefs... but I don't have those exactly but I think the Washington Post does. Looks pretty ugly to me, going after a 75 year old man.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 03:15:30 am by TomSea »