Author Topic: Nevada researchers trace rise, fall of Roman Empire through ice  (Read 506 times)

rangerrebew

Nevada researchers trace rise, fall of Roman Empire through ice

By Henry Brean   / Las Vegas Review-Journal
May 19, 2018 - 3:20 pm

The rise and fall of the Roman Empire isn’t just recorded in history books.

Scientists from the Desert Research Institute in Nevada have pioneered a way to pinpoint pivotal moments in Western civilization using ancient lead pollution trapped deep inside the Greenland ice sheet.

A new ice core study by DRI and partners in Great Britain, Norway and Denmark charts the ebb and flow of economic activity over 1,900 years of war, plague, imperial expansion and collapse. The research provides new insight and challenges some ideas about how early European societies fared over time.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/science-and-technology/nevada-researchers-trace-rise-fall-of-roman-empire-through-ice/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:35:51 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Nevada researchers trace rise, fall of Roman Empire through ice
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 07:33:24 pm »
There are several reasons advanced for the fall of Rome: the decline of the military, increase in the savage hordes. But I got my own opinion. I think it was those Roman baths. Roman generals didn't even bother to fight their own wars no more. Swam around in scented oils, lollygagging with the slaves, stuffing themselves with larks' tongues.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."