Author Topic: The Return of ‘Last Man Standing’ and the Collapse of Social Justice Pandering  (Read 809 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

NewsBusters
By Matt Norcross
May 19, 2018 2:10 PM EDT

Editor's Note: The following has been adapted with the author's permission from its original publication on Carolina Culture Warrior. To be fully transparent, the author also owns shares in ABC (as previously disclosed).

You may remember that, one year ago, ABC made the embarrassing business decision to cancel the Tim Allen sitcom Last Man Standing, which focused on a conservative man who works for an outdoor sporting goods retailer and lives with his liberal wife and three daughters (two of which are equally liberal) in their Colorado home.

The reason for this controversial decision — a dispute over money is not an uncommon problem in the entertainment industry, but fans saw something far deeper afoot and, all told, many saw that it exposed a double standard. Here’s what this author wrote at the time:

In 2015, the network’s long-running drama Scandal featured the main protagonist getting an abortion to the tune of Silent Night. It’s still airing. Earlier this year, a so-called “comedy” on ABC called Black-ish told viewers that “a vote for Trump is a vote for racism.” Hysterical. And using an entire episode of Grey’s Anatomy to smear anybody who supports the Second Amendment won’t get you into any trouble either.

There were also petitions to revive the show and, alas, those cries have finally been heard. Fox has announced that the sitcom will be revived for a seventh season this coming fall, with the entire cast returning. Below is the trailer, hoping to excite fans waiting for their favorite characters to return:

(more)
https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/matt-norcross/2018/05/19/return-last-man-standing-and-collapse-social-justice-pandering
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The truth is most of the people who make these shows don’t get it. They have no knowledge of what the average American can relate to, and have disdain — even contempt — for what they do know. In the case of Last Man Standing, they don’t like outdoorsmen or intact, nuclear families. They lecture about pet issues such as gun control and abortion, and want to force the rest of the country to accept these things.
Indeed. This is the money quote.

It's the same reason they keep forcing "diversity" into every show with token blacks, male characters made into women, and of course alternative sexualities, which have been particularly successful in subverting what was the status quo. No effort is made to make a realistic portrayal of life in Middle America anymore, not the kind of society they want to see, but the kind of society Hollywood wants middle America to be. More like them.

I think part of it may be a money thing: rural Americans make do with less, making it harder to push advertisements on them.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
The fact that Fox is even reviving the show in the first place is good news for Middle America.
:amen:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."