Author Topic: Iraq on brink of civil war due to US miscalculations  (Read 973 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Iraq on brink of civil war due to US miscalculations
« on: May 20, 2018, 02:31:24 am »
First, I call "bunk" as to the author's words though respect where he is coming from.

IOW, In other words, this is the "forever war" which is a term some people use, I'm all for helping out the Kurds, they are good people... but the Middle East seems to be a constant quagmire, I don't usually comment before a story, to be up on a soapbox but in this case.

Iraq on brink of civil war due to US miscalculations

Following the 2003 war, Iraq has shifted from a pro-Sunni country into a pro-Shia state under the influence of Iran. But until 2011, the American presence in Iraq had prevented the expansion of Iranian militias into the country. This was done through keeping the balance of power between Shias, Sunnis, and Kurds in the government and also among the Iraqi army. Post-2011, American troops withdrew from Iraq under the administration of former president Barack Obama which paved the way for the Iranian militias to expand into Iraq and empower the extremist Shia leaders within the country to the advantage of the Islamic Republic of Iran.

Iraq began to shift from a democratic and coexistent state into a pro-Shia state under the supervision of Iran. American power in Iraq started to decline due to Iran’s high influence on Iraqi leaders which also led to the weakening of the Iraqi army leading to the rise in the presence of Shia militias within the country, most notably the Hashd al-Shaabi.

Read more at: http://www.kurdistan24.net/en/opinion/e0a19ca9-4fa7-4ab3-85f5-50b7afef14bd

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Iraq on brink of civil war due to US miscalculations
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 04:45:50 am »
First, I call "bunk" as to the author's words though respect where he is coming from.

IOW, In other words, this is the "forever war" which is a term some people use, I'm all for helping out the Kurds, they are good people... but the Middle East seems to be a constant quagmire, I don't usually comment before a story, to be up on a soapbox but in this case.

I think you're right, Tom.  We can't help resolve millennia-old problems in the Middle East any more than you and I can do brain surgery.  We just don't think the same way, don't have the requisite knowledge and are not willing to do the things that are ages old parts of warfare there.  Heck, we rant and scream about waterboarding. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 05:25:53 am »
I think you're right, Tom.  We can't help resolve millennia-old problems in the Middle East any more than you and I can do brain surgery.  We just don't think the same way, don't have the requisite knowledge and are not willing to do the things that are ages old parts of warfare there.  Heck, we rant and scream about waterboarding.

The problem is that others will fill the vacuum. Even if we can't find a cure, treatment might be vital.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 02:00:11 pm »
There is nothing going on in Iraq that was not anticipated and thoroughly discussed by many over the years.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 03:31:25 pm »
There is nothing going on in Iraq that was not anticipated and thoroughly discussed by many over the years.

@Bigun, I'm not sure what you mean.  Can you say more?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 03:53:33 pm »
Sectarianism, like racism, is a form of bigotry, discrimination, or hatred arising from attaching importance to perceived differences between subdivisions within a group, such as between different denominations of a religion, nationalism, class, regional or factions of a political movement.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sectarianism

Bush in 2007 delivered eerily accurate warning about Iraq unrest 

“To begin withdrawing before our commanders tell us we are ready would be dangerous for Iraq, for the region and for the United States,” Bush cautioned.

He then ticked off a string of predictions about what would happen if the U.S. left too early.

“It would mean surrendering the future of Iraq to Al Qaeda.

Read more at: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/09/11/bush-in-2007-delivered-eerily-accurate-warning-about-iraq-unrest.html

So, the Kurdish writer is correct in some assertions but the question begins, how much of a commitment on our behalf.  By the way, a number of persons here in this forum, have commented on errors we made.  Showing favoritism to the Shiites vs. the Sunnis, things like that. In fact, over the last few days, something about putting Islam as their official faith in their constitution. I forget the exact wording but that article was up here too.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 04:51:07 pm »
@Bigun, I'm not sure what you mean.  Can you say more?

@Sanguine

It has long been known that the population of Iraq is very secular in nature and that the country would likely need a government composed of at least three semi-autonomous regions in order to function.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 05:08:38 pm »
@Sanguine

It has long been known that the population of Iraq is very secular in nature and that the country would likely need a government composed of at least three semi-autonomous regions in order to function.

OK, now I understand.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 02:45:20 pm »
It's such a tough situation, how does one feel when in Iraq or in Afghanistan, one learns that someone who should be trusted, a soldier for the Iraqi or Afghanistan army, whichever may be the case, uses his gun to carry out an attack on our soldiers while it should be a situation where we feel at ease?  This has happened a few times.  I hope that is clear enough.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 04:31:36 pm »
It's such a tough situation, how does one feel when in Iraq or in Afghanistan, one learns that someone who should be trusted, a soldier for the Iraqi or Afghanistan army, whichever may be the case, uses his gun to carry out an attack on our soldiers while it should be a situation where we feel at ease?  This has happened a few times.  I hope that is clear enough.

This is not a new thing @TomSea.  Similar things frequently happened in Vietnam.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 05:45:22 pm »
The world in general would have been better off with Iraq under Saddam's rule.   

Just say'n.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 05:52:27 pm »
The world in general would have been better off with Iraq under Saddam's rule.   

Just say'n.

And Iran under the Shah's!

Just sayin!

- J. R. R. Tolkien