Author Topic: The story behind Chinese war epic The Flowers of War  (Read 446 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The story behind Chinese war epic The Flowers of War
« on: May 19, 2018, 01:41:38 am »
The story behind Chinese war epic The Flowers of War
Geling Yan

The Chinese epic The Flowers of War failed to gain a highly-coveted Oscar nomination in the Best Foreign Language Film category. But as Bethan Jinkinson reports, the historical drama has resonated with Chinese audiences.

The film, directed by Zhang Yimou and starring English actor Christian Bale, opened in China on 16 December.

Since then it has been shown on thousands of screens across the country, taking $93m (£60m) gross in its first five weeks, according to entertainment research group EntGroup Consulting.

Read more at: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-16638897

! No longer available

One of the best war movies I have seen, like the South Korean movie "Brotherhood", really difficult to watch a second time, at least straight through, maybe I can rewatch parts.

I think 'Saving Private Ryan' opened up the door for "realistic types of war movies", though in honesty, there were predecessors to SPR as well.

Though, it has Christian Bale, a largely Chinese movie, danged, if they didn't make a good one.

The referred to movie made in South Korea, "Brotherhood of War", this kind of illustrates, if SK and NK get together, there are some serious wounds between the two nations. Great movie and hard to watch again.

An excerpt here, starting 40 seconds in, shows how the Chinese Red Army sent a human wave against the South Korean side, the cinematography of this, showing all of these troops with their red flags on the mountain side (which that exact picture from the movie, I don't think is in this clip), was absolutely stupendous, this part, I'd re-watch again and again.  We also had to face these human waves. Thousands and thousands of them doing this. Human waves were certainly used in the Iraq/Iran war as well by Iran with their population advantage.

! No longer available

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:43:23 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: The story behind Chinese war epic The Flowers of War
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 01:59:34 am »
All of this, let's not forget, post World War II, with the "great leap forward" and the "cultural revolution",  China killed a lot of their own people, many died of starvation, "Bones of the Master" which has been a movie project not coming to any fruition is about a Monk who left Mongolia after the Communist army raided and ramsacked their Buddhist Monastery and traversed the length of China to Hong Kong. He saw people out there eating grass, they were so starved. The Nationalist leader Chiang Kai Shek like Mao, is also accused of genocide or whatever term is proper.