Author Topic: Austin-area dig gives rare clues to how people lived 16,000 years ago  (Read 950 times)

rangerrebew

Austin-area dig gives rare clues to how people lived 16,000 years ago
metro-state

By Ralph K.M. Haurwitz - American-Statesman Staff

Updated: 2:15 p.m. Friday, May 11, 2018 |  Posted: 1:48 p.m. Friday, May 11, 2018

You can hardly walk 10 steps along Buttermilk Creek about 45 miles north of Austin without finding evidence that people lived here thousands of years ago. The ground is littered with flakes of chert, a plentiful stone from which projectile points, blades, cleavers and other tools were fashioned.

Archaeologists who have dug as deep as 14 feet found layer after layer of stone tools, weapons and flakes that accumulated over time, indicating that prehistoric humans began gravitating to this area about 16,000 years ago.

https://www.mystatesman.com/news/local/austin-area-dig-gives-rare-clues-how-people-lived-000-years-ago/M3iVdDLKBGiwJWDb01M04J/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Cool!

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Austin-area dig gives rare clues to how people lived 16,000 years ago
metro-state

By Ralph K.M. Haurwitz - American-Statesman Staff

Updated: 2:15 p.m. Friday, May 11, 2018 |  Posted: 1:48 p.m. Friday, May 11, 2018

You can hardly walk 10 steps along Buttermilk Creek about 45 miles north of Austin without finding evidence that people lived here thousands of years ago. The ground is littered with flakes of chert, a plentiful stone from which projectile points, blades, cleavers and other tools were fashioned.

Archaeologists who have dug as deep as 14 feet found layer after layer of stone tools, weapons and flakes that accumulated over time, indicating that prehistoric humans began gravitating to this area about 16,000 years ago.

https://www.mystatesman.com/news/local/austin-area-dig-gives-rare-clues-how-people-lived-000-years-ago/M3iVdDLKBGiwJWDb01M04J/

Yes, my observations during the close-to-30 years that I've lived in the Austin area have shown that over time a lot of flakes have accumulated here.   10294
Let it burn.

Offline Frank Cannon

Cool!

No. Not really. The dig found that they didn't have Air Conditioning.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
No. Not really. The dig found that they didn't have Air Conditioning.

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline Victoria33

I grew up in east Texas in the middle of the east Texas oil field.  As a child, we found arrow heads all the time.  Indians for sure lived there.  At one time, Texas was covered with ocean.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I grew up in east Texas in the middle of the east Texas oil field.  As a child, we found arrow heads all the time.  Indians for sure lived there.  At one time, Texas was covered with ocean.

Yes, but this is pre-Clovis: 15,500 years ago. 

rangerrebew

I"ll bet the people who lived there 16,000 years ago weren't liberals like today :pondering:.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I"ll bet the people who lived there 16,000 years ago weren't liberals like today :pondering:.

No, they were survivalists.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
No, they were survivalists.

Pre Cro-gummerite?

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com