Author Topic: VIDEO: Mel Gibson set to Direct World War II Kamikaze Attack Film ‘Destroyer’  (Read 1458 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
VIDEO: Mel Gibson set to Direct World War II Kamikaze Attack Film ‘Destroyer’
By: US Naval Institute Staff
May 14, 2018 7:59 PM

Mel Gibson plans to direct a film about the ferocious kamikaze attack on USS Laffey (DD-724), according to a report published by The Hollywood Reporter.

Destroyer (original working title: Kamikaze) will mark Gibson’s second foray into events concerning the 1945 Battle of Okinawa. His 2016 film Hacksaw Ridge about pacifist medic Desmond Doss’ heroic efforts to save wounded soldiers during the allied assault on the island received wide critical acclaim and was a commercial success.

Laffey is famous for surviving a relentless attack by two dozen kamikaze aircraft while serving on radar picket duty early in the campaign to capture Okinawa. Laffey sustained substantial damage when it was struck by six planes and four bombs, yet was able to stay afloat and continue to fight.

! No longer available

Article: https://news.usni.org/2018/05/14/video-mel-gibson-set-direct-world-war-ii-kamikaze-attack-film-destroyer

Offline NavyCanDo

Would love to see that. My dad's ship the battleship  Mississippi was also hit by Kamikazes off Okinawa.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Sounds like what Gibson does best.

Offline skeeter

Would love to see that. My dad's ship the battleship  Mississippi was also hit by Kamikazes off Okinawa.

Gibson typically goes over the top, but with the Laffey's story it just might work. There's no way to over dramatize that attack.

I've always thought someone should make a movie about the USS Houston. A story like that would have everything.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 02:14:09 pm by skeeter »