Author Topic: Trump to keynote prominent anti-abortion gala  (Read 4028 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Trump to keynote prominent anti-abortion gala
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 06:09:01 am »

I'd consider him a sellout on that issue and also on the point of fiscal responsibility - something else he's always championed.

Yep. Me too. Cruz is no longer leading Conservatism. It would take a whole lot to make up for what he has doe recently against where he has always been.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 08:31:28 am »
Funny. My Constitution doesn't say anything about bills originating from the Executive Branch. Mine says they come from the Legislative Branch. Seems to me Ted Cruz, Mike Lee and Rand Paul are responsible for funding abortions.

My reading of the senate vote count shows all three voting against the omnibus bill.  My copy of the constitution says the president can veto a bill directly or indirectly by not signing it.  If he does the latter, it's still law after 10 days, unless congress is adjourned.  This president chose neither option and offered feeble reasoning for signing it, as previously mentioned. 

It has no text concerning the line item veto the president grandstanded on at the signing.  It does tell me congress can pass legislation and the judicial branch can interpret constitutionality.  My history books show just such a bill was passed in 1996, then struck down as unconstitutional in 1998 by a 6-3 decision.  Very funny, indeed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:59:54 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 09:02:08 am »
Fantastic to see President Trump defending the moral argument for anything.  Funny as hell.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 10:25:35 am »
Fantastic to see President Trump defending the moral argument for anything.  Funny as hell.

With this post you bring me back to the evening of July 21, 2016 --- and doing this 

Fabulous way to start the morning.  Thanks!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 11:13:55 am »

I'd consider him a sellout on that issue and also on the point of fiscal responsibility - something else he's always championed.

So one's constituency is racked, suffers the effect of a devasting hurricane, people die but you call him a sellout?  Wow, just wow.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) today issued the following statement regarding the Senate’s budget agreement:

“After much consideration, I will reluctantly vote for this legislation. This bill contains major victories; if hurricane relief and restoring vital defense spending were the only elements of this bill, I would be supporting it energetically and enthusiastically. Unfortunately—in addition to funding those critical priorities—this bill also unnecessarily balloons the deficit.

“Since Hurricane Harvey’s landfall in August, I have worked tirelessly with Senator Cornyn, Governor Abbott, the Texas congressional delegation, and dozens of local mayors, county judges, and police and fire chiefs up and down the coast to identify and meet the needs of impacted Texans, who in many cases lost everything. Today, we follow through on our promise to give Texans the next significant package of emergency assistance we need to recover and come back stronger than ever.

“Prior to today, we had already secured more than $50 billion in emergency funding for storm victims in 2017, as well as passing the Cruz-Cornyn-Rubio legislation that provided more than $5.5 billion in targeted tax relief to those who suffered from the devastation of Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria. The additional funding provided by today’s legislation is an important next step in our state’s road to recovery, and I am grateful that we have been able to build upon and improve the bill that was sent to us by the House of Representatives so that we can continue to give the State of Texas the resources it desperately needs.

“Specifically, I’m proud that Senator Cornyn and I were able to work with our colleagues to increase overall disaster relief from $81 billion to $89 billion; to significantly increase Texas’s share of that relief; to provide vital relief to cotton farmers devastated by Harvey; and to significantly increase the funding for critical Army Corps flood management projects that will help the State mitigate against future flooding events, such as potentially beginning construction on the Sabine Pass to Galveston Bay coastal barrier or building a third reservoir in the Houston area.

http://therightscoop.com/ted-cruz-explains-why-he-voted-for-new-budget-bill-when-other-conservatives-balked-at-it/

I guess, a lot of this goes to those line item vetoes.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:21:08 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 11:15:26 am »

You take the cause of life lightly? Most people are thankful for whatever they get. Respectfully, I wonder if you are just pushing for democrat or liberal values in your posts and you are just being ironic. It seems your post more than others, use the term "rats" often.

As far as I'm concerned, Trump is the most moral leader we have had in a long time.

We aren't involved in any number of conflicts that we get involved in, in a reckless manner,  he has taken measures to bestow religious liberties to the populace along with pro-life measures. Yes, states can defund Planned Parenthood without a court striking it down.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:23:26 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 11:19:59 am »
Rand Paul gets limited things done, that is so... but he usually, if not always votes against these things. At the same time, Kentucky is rarely submerged under water.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2018, 11:48:54 am »
Even with the hoopla about the Omnibus bill, don't they say per the discretion of the White House/Executive branch, that they can still hold up funding to Planned Parenthood, I don't fully expect it to happen but it does seem possible since it was not an actual budget bill.  I believe, the Title X protests lately, have been about this.

https://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=36898

If HHS denies Title X funds to Planned Parenthood, this would be another pro-life victory the haters can ignore.

Offline edpc

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 12:15:59 pm »
So one's constituency is racked, suffers the effect of a devasting hurricane, people die but you call him a sellout?  Wow, just wow.
http://therightscoop.com/ted-cruz-explains-why-he-voted-for-new-budget-bill-when-other-conservatives-balked-at-it/

I guess, a lot of this goes to those line item vetoes.

People died in Sandy.  Didn't make Christie any less of a sellout for cozying up to Obama.  Federal money has to come from somewhere.  You either tax, borrow, or print.  In any case, the bill always comes due.  Are you going to continue with whataboutism on unrelated subjects or address what I said about your concerned hypocrites?  They were rightfully concerned with Trump's past record, full body hugged the tarbaby, anyway, and can now dwell in the mire.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2018, 02:42:05 pm »
Those who bring up that argument would have the whole government shut down over Planned Parenthood,

Every president since Clinton has funded PP, so at the most, Trump is doing no different and those against Trump, actually have a pretty intelllectually disingenuous argument, since Trump did all to try to defund PP, the Senate could not get it done, so what would shutting the government down have accomplished.

No reasonable Pro-Life authority, takes up this "500m argument" seriously. I say, their argument is basically dishonest. You won't find critics at lifenews.com, lifesitenews.com, just opponents of the Prez use this weak argument.

The President said he wasn't going to sign it and then he did.  There was a lot in there besides Planned Parenthood.  Then he tries to cover himself by saying never again.

Baloney, that's the way he rolls.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 04:38:45 pm »
As usual, this thread has gotten off topic.

It is about President Trump promoting pro-life values.  That is important to me and should be to all of us.

Dragging up everything he's annoyed you with in the past is counter-productive.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2018, 05:13:30 pm »
As usual, this thread has gotten off topic.

It is about President Trump promoting pro-life values.  That is important to me and should be to all of us.

Dragging up everything he's annoyed you with in the past is counter-productive.

Was it yoga, meditation or maybe chamomile that’s put you so mello lately?  LOL ^-^

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2018, 05:14:58 pm »
Was it yoga, meditation or maybe chamomile that’s put you so mello lately?  LOL ^-^

Beer and vodka, baby.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2018, 05:24:05 pm »
LOL! Maybe I’ll try that – in moderation, of course. LOL

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2018, 09:56:34 am »
With this post you bring me back to the evening of July 21, 2016 --- and doing this 

So will lithium.  Dance on.

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2018, 10:06:44 am »
You take the cause of life lightly? Most people are thankful for whatever they get. Respectfully, I wonder if you are just pushing for democrat or liberal values in your posts and you are just being ironic. It seems your post more than others, use the term "rats" often.

As far as I'm concerned, Trump is the most moral leader we have had in a long time.

Your moral indignation is adorable.

Believe what you want.  President Trump embodies biblical philosophies like "God helps those who help themselves"- two Corinthians:69 and an eye for an eye Mutha-F*qah!  He may have paid to forced a camel through the eye of a needle, but I will not testify to his messianic suffering at the hands of media bias.  And I will not give credit for speech.  Cause i heard these speeches from previous establishment republicans.

But you be blessed you...righteous warrior for the entitled.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2018, 07:12:21 pm »

We aren't involved in any number of conflicts that we get involved in, in a reckless manner,  he has taken measures to bestow religious liberties to the populace along with pro-life measures. Yes, states can defund Planned Parenthood without a court striking it down.

Exactly, @TomSea   Well, not exactly but you make a good point.

No matter what Trump did or said in the past about abortion, if he has realized now that it is a sin and weakens the moral fiber of America, that is nothing but good.

Trump has a lot of influence and when he backs something with enthusiasm, it has an effect.

I have a hard time understanding why people would choose this great moment with Trump to go back and pick at old grievances.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2018, 07:18:41 pm »
Exactly, @TomSea   Well, not exactly but you make a good point.

No matter what Trump did or said in the past about abortion, if he has realized now that it is a sin and weakens the moral fiber of America, that is nothing but good.

Trump has a lot of influence and when he backs something with enthusiasm, it has an effect.

I have a hard time understanding why people would choose this great moment with Trump to go back and pick at old grievances.

Larry Elder had a similar argument yesterday,

Okay, we might have been for Trump on election day, not all of us but some. Through the primary campaigns, maybe we weren't.

Who was on the ballot? Hillary and Trump. Those were basically the 2 selections we had.

Some will rebel against the choices, that's fine too.

@Emjay

Offline TomSea

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2018, 07:20:35 pm »
Your moral indignation is adorable.

Believe what you want.  President Trump embodies biblical philosophies like "God helps those who help themselves"- two Corinthians:69 and an eye for an eye Mutha-F*qah!  He may have paid to forced a camel through the eye of a needle, but I will not testify to his messianic suffering at the hands of media bias.  And I will not give credit for speech.  Cause i heard these speeches from previous establishment republicans.

But you be blessed you...righteous warrior for the entitled.

Excuse me, but there were only 2 candidates on the ballot with a real chance to win the election, Hillary and Donald Trump. One can look at them and say, both are flawed or one might look at it and say, well, my beliefs line up more with the GOP candidate and the GOP platform, it is that simple.

Who was the first candidate I was for for the 2016 primaries? He failed early on, it was Scott Walker.  You can only vote for what is on the ballot.

@Once-Ler
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:21:15 pm by TomSea »

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2018, 11:23:38 pm »
Excuse me, but there were only 2 candidates on the ballot with a real chance to win the election, Hillary and Donald Trump. One can look at them and say, both are flawed or one might look at it and say, well, my beliefs line up more with the GOP candidate and the GOP platform, it is that simple. @Once-Ler
@TomSea you are excused.
I agree both candidates in 2016 were flawed.  I do not agree "Trump is the most moral leader we have had in a long time."
It's that simple.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2018, 12:28:39 am »
Having someone fighting for my issues is OK with me, however irreverent and unconventional he is, his hands are on the right levers for the right reasons as far as I’m concerned.

:beer:  Yep.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline aligncare

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2018, 08:22:01 am »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2018, 08:36:45 am »
Trump to Cut Planned Parenthood Funding, Administration Will Announce Friday

https://www.weeklystandard.com/john-mccormack/trump-to-cut-planned-parenthood-funding-administration-will-announce-friday

On Friday, the Trump administration will announce a proposed rule to cut taxpayer funding to abortionists like Planned Parenthood under Title X, a program that provides $260 million annually in federal funding for contraception and other “family planning” initiatives.

“The proposal would require a bright line of physical as well as financial separation between Title X programs and any program (or facility) where abortion is performed, supported, or referred for as a method of family planning,” a Trump administration official tells THE WEEKLY STANDARD in an email.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2018, 10:38:57 am »

No, my first reaction was to guffaw.  This is the same guy who once said he's 'very much pro-choice' and signed an omnibus spending bill that included $500M for Planned Parenthood two months ago.

Sure, in a perfect world, defund PP.  But not at the cost of shutting down the government.  Not at the cost of funding for military readiness.

Every woman has the power to decide for herself to give birth and raise a child.   If you want to help her decide, go right ahead.  But this whole debate about abortion is getting tiresome, at least from the standpoint of the government's role.  The government has no role. It is the woman's decision.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline edpc

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2018, 11:50:32 am »
Sure, in a perfect world, defund PP.  But not at the cost of shutting down the government.  Not at the cost of funding for military readiness.

The $700B was already authorized and signed under the National Defense Authorization Act on Dec. 12, 2017.  Tying the crap in the omnibus to it has been an admin lie.

Besides, if he's so dead set against some of the provisions, he doesn't have to sign it.  It'll still become law after 10 days and Congress owns it.  You learn that in 8th grade social studies.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:56:26 am by edpc »